First 1,000 miles in a '13 Volt
By sirboz on
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I picked up the Volt as a daily commuter car. Work is 15 miles from the house, and hilly. During the round trip, I normally use about 2/3 of the battery power. Everything people are posting about how fun the car is to drive is accurate. The thing I didn't know about it, even after the test drive, was how much information is presented to you on the center stack display and the driver information center. I would recommend doing some research before buying the car. You can search for, and download, the two main owners manuals; the basic one and the one for the infotainment system. The other place to look is www.myvolt.com where you can find excellent short videos of usage and systems.
Favorite Features
Driving this, and trying to maximize mileage, is like playing a big video game with wheels. The game could be called "mileage master." I'm getting about 42-55 miles per charge, on average, but the weather is perfect and I'm driving slow to see what it will do. Remember, the air conditioning and heater are electric, so if the weather wasn't nice, mileage would have been affected. The car is very quiet and the seats, even in the rear, are very comfortable. Car does make odd noises when parked and turned off. All normal. Not 100% sure it's not alive.
Suggested Improvements
The driver information center is great. All of the information needed is presented in a logical manner. Same with the center stack display. But..... I want more flexibility. I find myself switching between the leaf (mileage and power flow view), the nav system, the radio, and the climate settings all of the time. You can show a split screen with Nav and Radio. I'd like to be able to split the screen however I want. Put Nav and Leaf. Or Leaf and Radio. Lot's of unused space on the huge, beautiful display.
By sirboz
on 04/09/13 21:11 PM (PDT)

5,000 mile update. This is a GREAT car. I am a perfect distance from work, 15 miles each way, so I pretty much stay on full battery power all the time. At last check, I am over 91% electric over the life of the vehicle, and have averaged 338 MPG. They don't take the electrical cost into account when they make that up online. I've used a total of 16 gallons of fuel to go that 5,000 miles. And the gas part was for trips to Disneyland. Over the winter, well what we call winter in Los Angeles, the range of the battery went down to around 30 miles. That was to be expected. I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat, regardless of the commute distance to work. Off battery I still get over 30 MPG. The only thing I wish for, every day, is a handle over the driver door. There's a set of roof handles above the rear doors, I can't for the life of me understand why Chevy didn't put them in the front.