Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Never again
By Tonya Singletary

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Where do I begin...... 2011 Equinox brought brand new. I'm a commuter so I must keep up maintenance, get oil changes regularly (not from the dealer). Transmission goes out at 60,000 which took a month to repair. now 70,000 major oil leak which of course cause engine issues. Have bumper to bumper warranty BUT GMC doesn't want to pay, claims issue occurred to not changing oil. Had to produce receipts of proof that I've had oil changes. Once all is said and done trading it in and never going back to Chevrolet.

A Very Questionable Investment
By erthfriend

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised seeing that this car rated 4 out of 5 stars. The gas mileage was supposed to be 32, but we never got better than 23 mpg. Even allowing for the AWD, we expected upper 20s. There was always a rattling coming from the engine that sounded like pins and needles shaking in a tin can. At 60K, I took it in for an oil change and the dealer could find no oil on the stick at all. No oil pressure guage. No warning light. At 80K, the oil use was only worsening. The dealer said it warranted a ring job. Since the warranty was expiring at 100K, we traded it in on a Prius V, taking a $6K hit. The GM people are some of the best. Too bad this is a crappy car.

Favorite Features

The cabin and the ride are the best parts of the Equinox experience. You can see videos on You Tube showing the interior. It's almost like a space ship. Ours had a sunroof that we almost never used, and bluetooth that we used all the time. The interior is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, on a much larger scale.

Suggested Improvements

I think it all comes down to two words: Quality Control. Whether the fault lies in the engineering(I am guessing it does since our complaints seem fairly well represented in these comments), or the manufacture, someone needs to control quality at GM. A pretty car with a comfortable ride should be a bonus, not a saving grace.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. No GM Support
By bradjohnson08

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

February 2011 – 7,099 miles - Complaint of jerkiness while shifting. Weird shifting. Action taken – Seat belt recall, nothing done concerning our complaint except charge us for an oil change. November 2011 – 17,683 miles - Further shifting issues and chugs while driving. Loud ratting and grinding from under hood by engine. Knocking in back. Slow to take off from a stop. Has stalled 2 times driving. Action taken – Reprogrammed engine control module. Said they couldn’t duplicate the rest. April 2012 – 22,365 miles - Stalled more times. Knocking in engine and rattling. Still shifts incorrectly. Sputters and stalls while driving. Transmission leak.

Favorite Features

Installed new insulator on fuel pump. November 2012 – 31,530 miles - Vehicle shakes hard while driving and shifting. Service Engine light has started to come on. Has stalled more and still shifts hard. Transmission leak. Action taken – Replaced High Pressure Fuel Pump. June 2013 – 39,705 miles Grinding when starting up. Bounces and loud while reversing. Lacks power accelerating and hard shifting. Idles rough when starting and at stop lights or idling. Transmission leak. Action taken – Cam Shaft timing replacement. Reprogrammed ECM. Charged us for another unnecessary oil change. May 2014 – 53,160 miles – Jumps and lurches while shifting between gears still. Still rattling

Suggested Improvements

and loud noises while driving and starting car. Stalls intermittently and RPM’s go very low without reason. Knocking still happening under the hood. Action taken – Replaced Front Wheel Drive Shaft Seal. Replaced water pump. Repaired Balance Shaft Chain. On the phone was told they were replacing the cam shaft actuators again but I don’t see it on my detailed repair sheet?

Poor investment
By teddy21

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

As far as the ride quillity, it was a great hwy car , fit and trim great, room was also good. But when a car company developes A car company you think they would test this engine for problems, leaks, burning oil, ruff idle and so on.

Favorite Features

Navigation,road handling, looks, quite ,room

Suggested Improvements

Its simple make sure if put a new car on the road it is rellable , gets close to the advertise mpg and when you do this you will have return customer,that will tell other people about the great cheve. Sorry poor speller.

Vehicle Vibrates at highway speeds over 50 MPH
By navyofficer211

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, I was pleased with the 2011 Equinox LTZ in the winter conditions. I put more highway miles on it than in actual weather conditions. My odometer read 28,000 when I had the first incident of a vibration over 50 mph and the check engine light came on briefly and stayed on for an hour or so. I thought it was the tires, so I had them checked, I had new summer all season tires on, and the tires were fine, and so I had the vehicle checked for mechanical problems, no codes were discovered and the check engine light went off. A week ago my odometer reads 87000 and the same situation occurs with this vibration, the difference is that it occurs at all speeds now, not just highway speeds.

Favorite Features

AWD, Navigation and the Sirius XM, gas mileage and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

I think the wheels might be too big or heavy for this AWD system, cause it drags before it kicks in. The SUV had 19 inch chrome factory rims. It might cause the AWD system to overwork or overheat to cause this vibration?