Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

Used Jetta for Sale
Select your model:
12345...17

Pros
Cons
4.38 out of 5 stars

2008 VW Jetta SE Auto

carnut1973, 01/31/2011
SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2008 Jetta SE (auto) brand new. My wife was the primary driver on our Jetta and we could not have been more pleased with the Jetta. In fact, 7 months later I bought a 2007 Jetta GLI for myself. We considered an Accord Coupe but the Jetta was $3,000 less and had more features. The car now has over 50,000 miles on it and still has not had any repairs--just regular maintenace...still on original brakes and tires, even. City driving returned around 22 mpg and highway driving would return up to 35 mpg...usually averaged 32-33 mpg on road trips. Quiet and comfortable to drive, cavernouse trunk and loaded with features.

4.25 out of 5 stars

third times a charm??

5peedornospeed, 10/12/2011
S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

my mom has had Jettas as her past two cars (a 1997 with 170,000 and a 2002 currantly with 100000 on it) both cars have never given any problems out of the normal range of expected maintanence so i decided on the 2008 jetta s as my next car. so far im very impressed, i got it with 54000 miles on it and it now has 62000. i have only owned the car a month. the first week i had it i took it from RI, to NC to CO(phish) and back to RI. the car isnt old enough for me to judge reliability but so far everything seems solid and the car seems very well built. i will update this review once i have put some real milage on the car.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Best in class

Joe, 11/06/2008
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I got the wolfsburg instead of a passat 2.0T wagon 3 months ago. so far we all like it and enjoy each ride very much. Even for a short ride it is fun to speed the car a little with great engine power at all speed. Taking corners is very precise and better than most sedan on the market. steering and handling are very impressive. I use the DGS control mode all the time and it is very quick to shift a gear or two. The Jetta and especially the Wolsfburg is a great driver car and my choice for best car under 25K

4.5 out of 5 stars

2008 Jetta Wolfsberg Edition

ilchqb11, 08/18/2013
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my Jetta brand new at 0 miles and just yesterday I passed 100,000 miles and I have to say this is by far the best car I have ever owned; however, some people don't realize that owning and maintaining a VW takes a little bit of work. In order to make sure your vehicle lasts a long time it is vital that you stay up-to-date with recommended maintenance and NEVER get work done at a location other then a licensed Volkswagen dealership. If you follow those 2 simple rules you will be more than happy. I've heard horror stories about people buying a Jetta and having terrible experiences with it; yet they never really took the effort to take care of it or take it in for routine maintenance.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Used 2008 Jetta, fell in love on a Sunday!

geekygirl, 10/02/2012
S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I drove a smart car for three long years. Sunday morning I started searching the Internet, for maybe a new car I was looking for something different but I haven't had before. I ran a cross at 2008 white Jetta, it had no pictures but I ended up going to the dealership before it even opened. The door was unlocked and I fell in love instantly so I traded my 2008 Smart car for the pretty white Jetta. To date I have had 87 cars in the last 15 years mostly high-end I love the ride of the Jetta and the super large trunk which I didn't have with the smart. I am looking forward to many more years and yes cars are cars they all have problems no matter what.

STAY AWAY!!

Chris H., 06/13/2018
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I baught my 08 jetta wolfburg used based on reviews, I picked this car over a acura which i regret every day..the DSG transmissions are [non-permissible content removed] and vw knows it.. they extended the warranty to June 28, 2018 or 100,000 miles..plus there is a recall on the DSG transmission but only for cars made Between Sept.08 - Aug. 09.. So I have all the common transmission issues stated in the recall but I have 130,000 (which I thought was nothing for vw) and they wont touch it..even though it's admittedly a faulty part they offer no assistance whatsoever.. they want me to pay $550 for them to change transmission fluid knowing damn well it won't fix anything..(it was changed at 100,000)..what a joke..STAY AWAY from this car or any car with a DSG transmission..its a hazard for my wife to drive with our children or for anybody to drive..it'll cost me more than the car is worth to fix..STAY AWAY!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED..

1 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars

3 year lease end love it/hate it still pt. 1

vincef329, 01/27/2011
SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have leased my salsa red Jetta SE for almost 3 years now, mileage up to 32,000. I originally wrote the love it/hate it review and want to expand on that. Styling is still modern after 3 years, still a good looking car inside and out. The leatherette still looks great as all other interior components do also, even the carpet. I live in the NE so the carpet sees its fair share of wet and snowy shoes, still cleans up well. No problems with any interior components, all are like new. Exterior paint has chipped considerably, how very sad. Seems only the red paint suffered this as I have "red" about it on the internet. Above the rear license plate the paint has completely come off and rust has

3.5 out of 5 stars

First and last VW for me!

mallory24, 09/13/2011
S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car was bought for me as a first car and I absolutely loved everything about it. It's super cute, fun to dart in and out of traffic with and it had a great "giddy up" to it. Within the first year I started having mechanical issues with the car not starting. I took it to my local Firestone and got the battery, starter, alternator, and ignition checked out and I got a green light on everything. The next day I made an appointment with the VW dealership and they were just as unconcerned and rude as they could be. For almost two months I have been fighting this battle with VW for almost two months and I'm surely getting rid of this car as soon as possible.

Fun! Excellet value!

akb518, 11/10/2008
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is a REALLY good deal. Got it for about 21k and some change. To me, this is the best car for the money. It has upscale looks and excellent build quality. It doesn't look cheap like other cars in its class. The 200 hp turbocharged engine is a gem, very smooth and extremely powerful. You can't even feel it idling, very unusual for a 4 cylinder. The 6speed DSG automatic has seamless shifts and perfect downshifts. Perfect steering and smooth handling as well.

2.38 out of 5 stars

Many problems too fast

jettasnotrok, 01/02/2009
SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a new jetta it seemed to offer good fuel economy and it does. I drive from Michigan to Florida a lot so it seemed like a good car to drive on the e-way with its good fuel economy. Well a week later after returning from Florida the car had 3,000 miles on it and the starter broke. Dealer fixed it free. The tires don't hold air (maybe there is a hole) so I replaced the tire that I filled up every week. But the check tire light was still on. Took it to the dealer and it was broken. When I go to start the car in the morning it revs up to 7,000 rpm for no reason and the slowly will settle back down. After the fuel injector went bad I sold the car with 17,000.

12345...17