Used 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used EuroVan for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.75 out of 5 stars

Best Vehicle Yet

pathlesstravel, 07/05/2014
MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned many types of cars and minivans but our 2001 Eurovan weekender is by far the most flexible and fun even though it's now 13 years old. With 3 small kids and time off, my wife and I meandered 1,600 miles across California off the beaten path and had way too much fun. It's a home while on the road and the club seating means the kids face each other for hours of travel without fatigue. Anywhere we park the kids have a hangout. Mechanically it's quiet and powerful. We change the oil and trans fluid more frequently than specified by VW. It has 131,000 miles and still drives solid. Visibility is good and interior size feels generous. We are not a bells and whistles family.

1 out of 5 stars

Engine Oil Failure

2001 Eurovan, 04/28/2006
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

The oil housings on these vans are made of plastic and are broken easily during oil changes. We lost all the oil and it ruined our engine. Each time we get oil changes we have to ensure the housing is not cracked. We asked Volkswagen to recall these vans but they refused. We absolutely hate the van because of this issue!

3.25 out of 5 stars

Fantastic multi-purpose vehicle

smallwisdom, 02/13/2014
MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Eurovan used in 2006 with 70k miles. Now, in 2014, it has about 130k without any major mishap. That said, expect to spend about $1500/year on maintenance AND they are notorious for having the transmission die ($6K repair) between 40k-70k miles. 9 years later, our van has taken us on multiple camping trips and has gone to Burning Man several times. The engine runs a little rougher than it use to but it is still a very nice, drivable car for a large van. Sadly, I don't think our van will survive for very many more years because various bits are starting to fall apart, but it has not had a gentle life (we park it outside, take it camping, have kids, etc.).

3.75 out of 5 stars

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan

euronut, 03/30/2005
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan is a performer and fun to drive. We tow a boat with it and take long road trips. For traveling, you can't beat it. The reliability is poor and the repair costs are higher than most cars with the standard brake job costing $800. You should factor a 30% increase on repairs for Eurovan over a Golf or a Jetta. They are hard to work on and parts are scarce.

4.25 out of 5 stars

Zippy, roomy van

Cheech, 08/09/2005
MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had VW vans in the past. I liked them for a bunch of reasons. The '01 Eurovan roomy and very comfortable, even traveling with my family of seven. It's already been said, but the Volkswagen Eurovan is decidedly different. It's shaped like a box where others are round and bubbly. It has a significantly higher driving position. It also offers unique options, such as rear-facing second-row seats, pull out beds, window curtains and a camper body. All that plus a few peace signs make this van easy to own.

3.63 out of 5 stars

I used to love German quality

Pat, 05/06/2009
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle-had 10 hour drive to get it (handicap van) now fixing all the electrical issues. I have always loved the German engineering but the asian cars have QC! I am old school, don't think you should have to pay $300 for a key or $300 for an igniter that replaced a $3 set of points - that's "progress?" I guess I know too much about engineering, mechanics, electronics, etc. It must be easy to design products without regard to cost to the client!

4.5 out of 5 stars

V ersatile Vehicle

Tubaman, 08/02/2004
MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Eurovan used, less than a year old with about 11000 miles, still under warranty. No mechanical problems except a driveline seal replaced under warranty. (I've always had it serviced at University VW in Albuquerque.) I find it very comfortable to drive long distances, but my wife finds the seats too tall (seat to floor) for sustained comfort. Acceleration is fair with the VR6. Fuel economy is about 20 mpg. The E'van can pull a light trailer too.

4.63 out of 5 stars

alot more for the price

RANGER, 04/29/2003
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was shopping for a mini van and end up with a big van I compare prices and could not belived that I was getting more of a van for less money. I compare honda,mazda and toyota and with the option the EuroVan give you more for the price, the kids love it specialy when we go on a long trip.

4.88 out of 5 stars

I'm glad I overlooked the editors review

mogies, 05/29/2003
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am overjoyed with our purchase of a 2001 eurovan. It has great pickup and great looks plenty of room and fun, fun, fun to drive. We looked at many different types of vehicles, including SUVs, before we purchased it. Once I got in and drove it, I knew it was the one for us. Because there are not many of these vehicles on the road (unlike the standard minivan)people stare wondering what it is. The other day a man flashed me a peace sign. What more can I say!

4.13 out of 5 stars

Not a typical Minivan

Pennsylvania, 09/25/2003
GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

With little interest in a van that has 16 cup holders the Eurovan wasthe perfect match for our clan.The seats are a pain.I now have my mechanic remove,storeandinstall the rear seat when needed.A/Cis powerful.The engine never lacksneeded speed.When you first drive this car,you sit up high like a bus driveran experience that takes getting useto. Never do I feel thattipping/rollingis an issue.The middle seats and the A/Ccompressor have broke.This oversized beast is missing the bells and whistles Soccer Moms demand. However,my van can haul 7 adults comfortably, a dog, groceries and luggage for a week and never feel under powered.

51050