Used 2008 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews

Used Eos for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...17

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Goodbye Sweet "Happy"

Ms. Revenew, 10/10/2015
Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

When we first met you we were skeptical because we didnt believe you could be so cute, reliable, technically sound, fuel efficient, zippy and safe. We thought "surely there is a catch and why has this car had three owners in four years? What's going to fall apart on it?" We were looking for a good car for our teen and something fun for us parents to drive on the weekends. You had 35K miles and not a scratch on your candy apple red body. Your white interior was a bit weathered, but you matched our family. Do you remember that first test drive? We watched in awe as your German engineered top beautifully folded down into itself and tucked snugly in the trunk. Then we got on the road, just our little family. We turned on the radio and you started playing "because Im Happy, clap along if you know that happiness is the truth.". The truth is our family needed a little bit of happy. So, after discussion, we excitedly took you home. All of the neighbors oohed and ahhed. We took you everywhere and every time we got in, we were indeed Happy. Even in the winter, you held your own on Colorado roads. Your heated seats and heater worked great. Truthfully, though, you could have had brighter head beams, but we'll forgive you for that. You helped teach our daughter to drive and gave her a pal she was proud of and took beautiful care of. So, how cruel that only 18 months after you joined our family, a teen boy who was driving a Chevy Avalanche and texting rammed into the back of you at 20 miles an hour while you were stopped in traffic. He hit you with such force that you flew into the pick-up in front of you and you did exactly what you were built to do; you crunched up and took the impact in your front and protected the driving cage, never crushing into our teen daughter's body. She walked away with some bruised ribs from your straps and a bit of whiplash. You were pronounced totaled at the scene. But I'll never forget arriving at the scene and seeing those two huge pick-ups --one at your front and one at your rear-- with barely a scratch and our poor Happy in the middle -- crunched in front and dented in back taking the brunt of the impact for the 3-car accident...and our daughter, crying, but walking toward me. Thank you, Happy. RIP. We will always love you and miss you.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Great Car

timinwi, 12/28/2012
Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I traded my Buick LaCrosse for this car because I wanted a convertible; so it was quite the change for me but I've really enjoyed driving my EOS. It is not really a sporty car in the sense that it can take tight curves at high speed like say, a Mazda Miata, but more like a sporty cruiser. No mechanical issues to speak of yet, so maybe I have lucked out compared to some of the other reviews written here. I chose a mechanic who is independent and focuses totally on foreign cars and the car checked out well. I think this car is a great value for what you get especially the moving hardtop which are typically on higher priced vehicles.

5 out of 5 stars

LOVE the EOS! Buy this CAR!

Alexa, 05/09/2017
Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

2008 Eos I bought off an older couple 3 years ago. Their son owned it, garaged it and mostly dealer maintained it. I wanted this car when it first came out and love that its super rare to see on the road. I get asked about it overtime I am out. People compliment me on it daily, its a hot little car even at 9 years old! To think I almost didn't buy it because of all the bad reliability reviews. Luckily I owned a 1997 VR6 Jetta that I adored, and never had any serious issues with it. I sold him at 175k and that boy is still going strong!! So yes I know my way around VWs. Most of the complaints on here focus on leaks (seal it yearly, buy the epoxy on amazon) and oil consumption - even older Hondas burn oil, any older car you should be checking oil levels every few thousand especially in winter and with aggressive driving. German cars will run like butter if you maintain them properly. Don't wait on repairs and maintenance. I get my Eos oil changed twice a year, the dealer said it wasn't necessary but I like to take it to the dealer so they can do a thorough check on my almost 10 year old car. So far all I've had to do is the battery (it was original!) and fresh tires. not bad in 2 years and I paid 7k for the car. I even bought a cover before getting it in case it leaked. NO leaks yet! i saw from my car fax prior owner had that fixed awhile back. Make sure you buy one thats been taken care of. If I buy a used car I prefer to hear the owner has done a lot of work not - "oh it hasn't needed anything" any car will need work in 2-3 years, be it breaks tires or struts. I wouldn't buy a 2008 Honda that had nothing done either. Ask the owner if a mechanic can look the car over, if not run away! Keep tabs on oil and coolant, check the water pump when you buy it. I keep oil in my trunk but usually don't need. Top works perfectly knock on wood - people are fascinated when you operate it. NYC EOS LOVER!!!!

Almost 10 years later...

the1lion, 02/17/2014
Turbo 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

At first we loved the car but there's been way too many build quality issues to be accepted - it's like we bought a first year Kia. We had to replace the passenger window motor, but in doing so the interior material starting coming up from the door and the dealer said it was due to the sun drying up the adhesive. Then we had another place look at it and they said when the door panel was put back on it was incorrect and pointed out the broken sections. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced it again saying the problem was the rail that held it in place became loose because the adhesive - again. Recently the sun visor came out on the drivers side - literally came out of the roof. The roof leaks on the driver side during heavy rains. The back "flap" on the drivers side that is supposed to lift up and out of the way when the roof is lowered is starting to stick and I have to reach back and tap it to make it pop out. Update '17: almost to the ten year mark. There's been no major issues thankfully. The door interior is peeling back even more on both doors. Drivers side roof still drips during rain. Its mainly a commuter car for us. For the most part keeping up the maintenance and garage kept so car hasn't needed any major work. Only about 49K miles as mentioned its been mainly a car to get me to the train station and back.

3 out of 5 stars

3.63 out of 5 stars

dont buy an eos

apbtkid, 11/29/2010
Turbo 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought a brand new (08) EOS and all I've had is problems!!! I will never buy a VW ever again. VW's oil consumption standards are so low stating that it is "allowable" and "acceptable" for my EOS to burn through .5 quarts every 600 miles (4 qts per 4800) and until it exceeds that, VW and the dealer won't repair or address this issue. My car holds 4.9 quarts of oil, that means that if I were to wait the reccommended 5000 miles in between oil changes my car would be nearly out of oil. It has ran out of oil twice so far and unless I keep oil in the trunk and keep adding it it will continue to burn through oil like crazy. I Never buy a VW!

12345...17