Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

$9,795

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox

gazzbc, 04/25/2014
V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. *Update* - upgraded to LT tires. Towing more stable and the effect of the stiffer, heavier tires on handling is barely noticeable. My only real beef is with the 6 speed manual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Never Buying Toyota Again

perfect-storm, 08/26/2009

I purchased my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 intending to keep it a long time as they are supposedly known for reliability. Mechanically, the truck was fine and had no issues. I liked the truck and enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was OK with an average of 17 to 18 mixed city and highway driving. On the highway, it would get 20mpg if you stay under 70mph. I recently got rid of the truck as the frame was rusting excessively. I have never driven it on a salted road and I did not park it anywhere near the coast. Toyota's rep was extremely condescending and absolutely refused to do anything. No treatment, no coating, NOTHING! Check toyota frame rust issues and realize the problem still exists in '08.

Love it!!!!

fatvette, 04/07/2012

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for. I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it. Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type. The truck has been flawless. The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest. Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat. Engine power in more then adequate. Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

My 1st Used Toyota Tacoma

Winston, 12/01/2015
2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2011 Silverado v8 with 31k miles on it and brought this 2008 used Tacoma (4 cylinder 2.7). I drove it off the lot with 42k miles. I love this little basic truck, it's comfortable for my 6'1 350lb frame. I brought it to drive back and forth to work (40 miles round trip) and to fool around on the weekends. I barely use my other truck at home. I'm sure I'll get 300k miles out of this truck. It's fun and basic and easy on your wallet at the gas pump. I get about 23 mpg on the highway which is better then my Silverado. Perfect little truck! As of 11/2017 I no longer own the Tacoma. It still was a great truck up until I traded it in on a 2012 Toyota Prius V. Saving a lot more on gas, can’t beat 40+ mpg.

Happy I bought it

Surfdogg, 09/16/2007

This is my first Tacoma (and following up a bad Chevy experience). Overall I am happy with the truck, it shifts smoothly, has power to go when needed, and it has the options I wanted.

56K miles down, 944K to go!

Tango6, 12/24/2009

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Disappointed

richiew13, 03/06/2013

I bought this truck in May 2011, hoping it would be a reliable and economical vehicle for me to keep for a long time, eventually becoming my #2 vehicle. Ever since I got it, I haven't been happy with the way the engine idles. It sometimes revs fast, and sometimes wavers up and down. I also dislike the way the transmission shifts. It can sometimes be harsh and/or wait too long to shift. As of now, 3 of my automatic door lock mechanisms have quit working. The A/C blower is noisy, and will occasionally stop working. (If you kick it, it will work again.) I hate the way the brakes make a "clunk" sound the first time you hit them after going in reverse. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Mixed bag

rmw288, 06/23/2014
PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Tacoma used in 2011 with about 25,000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and 55,000 miles. I never had any kind of trouble with the engine or drive train, as far as reliability. It never broke down. My complaint was the truck always revved a little high while at idle. Also, the shifting was always weird. At low speed it would stay in low gear too long and rev high before shifting. Under load, the engine would knock. 3 of the 4 automatic door locks eventually quit working. The compass/thermo stopped working. The A/C fan would intermittantly stop working. Car was totaled in an accident in 2014, and I replaced it with a full-sized truck for towing.

Too many problems!

mudslinger, 03/16/2008

Replaced wife's jeep with TRD Tacoma because they last forever with no problems? Drove it home and shut driver's door latch fell out of the door, back to the dealer for a week. Check engine light came on at 500 miles, back to dealer two days, crack in gas cap. 900 miles, keyless entry stops working in shop four days while they trace down electrical short. Getting a whole 14mpg in mixed driving, same as my full size truck thats twice the size. 4200 miles traded it in for a Ford Edge!!!!

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!

TacoMan, 07/20/2008

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

Nice, but strange things

Lelan Warren, 11/07/2008

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

Dissapointed Owner

08Tacoma(ex owner), 03/09/2009

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

Love the truck, but I hate the ride!

Robert Clarke, 05/04/2009

First, let me say, I love the seats, the driving position is perfect, not too low for me (I am 5'9"). Brakes are amazing, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution really work. Gas Mileage is good, 20 city and 24 highway. No squeaks, tight truck. The Stock stereo is OK. Now the bad news, the ride is punishing! It is jarring even over the small bumps! My wife loves it, I am giving it to her and buying something else!

Best truck on road

Kristen Ohler, 08/31/2009

I owned a 1990 2 wheel drive Toyota extra cab for 18 years. Best vehicle I ever owned. I sold it with over 300,000 miles on it. I wanted a 4 wheel drive new p/u. I love this pick up more than any vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It is a fast and good looking p/u. I love the stereo system/cd player. It has a lot of pick up and contrary to reports I've read my pick up is very quiet. I've had no problems at all in the 14 months I've owned it. Although the running boards look great, they are in the way trying to get into and out of the p/u. I would never own any other kind of mid- sized truck besides the Toyota. To me it is the best truck on the road. Bar none!

Love it

jeff, 11/22/2009

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

Great in the Snow

Kevin, 03/25/2010

We just ended a record-breaking winter in Washington with about 70 inches for the season (normal is about 8 inches). The Tacoma was unbelievable--even in 15-20 inches on unplowed streets it never quit. We took it out about eight times the first day just for fun while the neighbors were trapped. The truck has also been great on trips and has much more power than the 1998 Taco it replaced. Toyota bought back the old truck because of frame rust and made it easy to buy the new one.

Great truck!

George, 10/31/2010

The 4 cyl does all I need it to do and more. It's been up and down the mountains, through tough places, hauls loads, pulls moderate trailers and just keeps going without problems. The first truck I've owned that gets better MPG than the window sticker. Rarely less than 20 and rarely more than 23 MPG.

Very impressed. Good job Toyota

JP, 02/11/2008

I bought this truck new (3 miles on it) one week ago today. Had really been looking at Colorados but after seeing how sharp the black Tacoma w/Rugged Terrain package looked, reading lots and lots of reviews, and doing extensive research, I was hooked. I am glad I spent a couple thousand extra dollars to get too many extra features to count over the competitors, not to mention Toyota reliability. The truck rides smooth, almost like a car, but can turn into a mean mud-flinging machine off road. I have had it in the mud once and I was really impressed with the off-road ability, even in 4x4 high. The 4.0 liter V6 is amazing... extremely powerful throughout the power range, tons of torque.

Solid reliable truck

Aikizlla, 02/27/2008

I have wanted a Toyota truck for some time. I owned other models but never kept them long. The 08 Tacoma is a solid well built truck with all the features I could want. Six speed is fun to drive and gives a little better engine break control in the snow. The TRD package provides some great seats and other features. The truck runs solid if not a little rough but it is a truck and with the bed loaded it smooths out considerably. Mileage is about as expected. The fit and finish is very solid as well. Does not look cheap or cheesy. Overall very happy with my purchase, great financing was offered by toyota as well as other rebate incentives.

Toyota Reliability Again!

GeorgeNfla, 08/28/2007

This is my second late model Tacoma. The 2.7L-4-cylinder engine performs very strongly, yet returns decent mileage, high 20s. The truck fires off with the ignition so quickly, barely hear the starter. I own a base Tacoma with automatic as the only option. The only option I wish I would've gotten was cruise-control, other than not having that, its a perfect truck without flaws. I would recommend it to a friend.

Vehicle is simply a marvel in all respects

anthony C. Sokoly, 12/16/2007

Simply a phenomenon. All aspects of the vehicle are satisfactory and exceed my expectations, I am proud to drive this sexy vehicle.

Great Truck, But...

Steve from Wisconsin, 01/23/2010

I have the 2-wheel drive PreRunner with the TRD offroad package and locking rear differential, 4-wheel ABS with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist. All in all, I rate this truck the best-engineered vehicle I have ever owned--a wonderful piece of work. It is sheer pleasure to see the intelligence used in its planning and execution. But I have traded it in after two years of ownership (for another Toyota) because it is dangerous on slippery roads. I have had multiple spinouts on snow, even when proceeding slowly and carefully. (The only other minus is the mileage, but I was fairly warned, so can't complain.) This 2WD isn't for snow country.

It's not a Tundra

Truckman666, 09/19/2007

I traded in a 2004 Tundra access cab 2wd. I wanted a 4 WD. The new Tundras are too big so I decided on the Tacoma Double cab with Sports package to get the upgraded interior. That upgrade makes for a firmer ride on bumps but rides great on smooth road. It had very quick steering. The seat is a little low. Not as smooth as the 04 Tundra but that should improve. Gas mileage seems better so far. Great looking truck. I get lots of compliments. As years go by I hope it will be refined to the point of the Tundras prior to the new large one.

Performance and Reliability

demonoid123, 07/19/2011

MPG: 18 gal=370 miles city maximum. (Never gone past 3 gallon reserve to test out full mileage.) 18gal=400 highway maximum. 18 gal=~$60@$3.40-85octane(w/15%ethanol-Costco) I add LUCAS gas treatment also. Cons: Interior has cheap look and feel. Small spacing for legs. Paint scratches and chips easily. Frame rusts easily. ( Even after power-wash every time exposed to salty roads) Pros: Performance: Will do the job on any terrain(Even with the crappy tires sold by manufacturer: Firestone Destination LE) Engine is reliable and OK Design (accessibility-wise) Bottom line: Not fancy interior but great exterior look and performance.

Tacoma Serious Issue

Dan Pierelli, 07/21/2016
V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The frames rust through on Tacomas. Having serious trouble getting Toyota to stand by their product.

One Dumb Purchase

flemdog, 04/10/2008

There is no position on the heater/AC controls that will shut off outside air from coming in through the vents, which is a problem if you live in a colder climate as I do. The wind noise overpowers conversation and the radio, the wipers make an irritating “thunk/thunk” noise, and the outside temp/compass indicator is difficult enough to read due to a reflective glare. The seat bolsters are narrow and uncomfortable. Gas & brake pedals are too close.

My only vehicle

John, 07/14/2008

I have owned dozens of vehicles, including five 4x4 trucks. I've had Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep and Land Rover, some new, some not. My 2007 Tacoma 4x4 double cab beats them all hands down. By far the best stock 4x4 I have ever driven, let alone owned. I highly recommend this truck as a primary vehicle, especially if you like to take it out into the hills frequently like I do. I put a ToyTec 3" lift in front and 1.5" add a leaf in back. This truck rocks!

Tacoma rating

chopper, 08/10/2008

Although a bit pricey, the Tacoma offers reliability, performance, and is economical to operate for a truck. It pulls a load well, within its capability, although fuel mileage suffers with a loaded trailer. When I trade again, I will opt for the longer bed for convenience. I get over 21 MPG with my Tacoma. Some of the increase might be attributable to having a cab high fiberglass topper and a "cat-back" TRD exhaust system along with a K&N air filter. All in all, it's a great truck !

It's a Truck

King Zhong, 10/13/2008

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

2008 Tacoma 4 dr 4x4

jay, 09/28/2007

The best truck on the market. The ride is amazingly comfortable, it's easy to forget you're driving a truck. I traded in a 2001 Tacoma ext cab and I thought that was a great truck. The 2008 is leaps and bounds better. The only knock would be the sound system. I paid the extra money for the "premium" sound system. The performance/sound is disappointing.

not happy/08 tacoma

Randy Bly, 04/30/2015
PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice truck,but toyota won't fix the rear springs in the truck till they brake.call the 1-800 number and received a letter about the springs.they know it's a problem but will not do anything about it.Had a recall on the frame because of rust,it's was painted by toyota.I have had like 4 things that were recalled by toyota .but not the rear springs.not sure what my next truck will be.

Good truck, 4-lo a liitle tricky to do

retired_newmex, 12/11/2007

Fantastic truck. Lo-4 a little tricky to engage/disengage

Really like this truck

Ronald Wilfong, 04/12/2008

This is my 4th Toyota truck and 2nd 4WD. I traded a 1993 SR5 manual trans in for the 2008 Tacoma with 5 speed auto transmission, due to knee surgery. I had a frontend alignment problem that was finally corrected by the dealership after I complained to Toyota, but they did fix it, under warranty. I have had to haul several loads so far and love the design of the composite bed and the fact I don't need a bed liner. I got the radiant red which is very sharp, the overall truck design is superior to anything else I have seen or checked out. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. I bought new off road floor mats and vent visor's and put a bug shield on too. Plan to keep it along time.

Great investment!!

My BABY!, 05/29/2008

I purchased this truck as my 5th Toyota, I've had 2 4Runners, a rav4, and a camry. Not to include my families trucks. I drove 3 different models of Tacoma before purchasing mine, all different engines. I settled with the 6 speed manual. I love it to death. I've had it for six months and have nearly 7000 miles on it. I take it on trips often from Augusta, GA to Conway, AR. It does great! It is amazing off road, better than all the other Toyotas I've driven so far. Handles and climbs great. My dad and uncle went and purchased after me. They have automatics though. They love them.

Tacoma review

Brad wainscott, 08/03/2018
V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

They fixed the frame issues, Toyota issued a recall, and they fixed it for free. I've had no major mechanical issues with this truck. It's a very solid Toyota.

Why won’t you die?

JustDucky, 08/27/2020
V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

236,000 miles and going strong with nearly NO pricey repairs. I’ve even gotten used to the annoyance of no intermittent wiper action. Come on, Toyota. The frame is original. The local dealer has inspected it, padding it each time. But there’s a section I’m worried about since it is obviously weak. It is flaking like mica. Long trips are not recommended unless you want a sore body. Consumer Reports, those suburban Connecticut snobs, have been wrong about this bullet-proof small truck. I’d like to acquire a new vehicle—but why? Like the movie V for Vendetta, I ask my 2.7 litre five-speed manual, “Why won’t you die?”

Junk!

SPS, 08/15/2017
2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Toyota pickup I have owned. I thought it would be a "no-brainer" to trade in my 99 for newer 08 Tacoma. Wrong! I can't really point out one specific problem because the entire vehicle has issues in almost every department. I've had valve issues, clutch issues, steering issues, suspension issues, brake, rust, fuel, electric and about 5 serious recalls. all adding up to over $5000.00 in repairs at 95,000 miles. This company is losing its grip and is probably on a landslide to bankruptcy but you wouldn't know it talking to these clowns at the dealership. They are not trained in vehicles but rather poker. They will keep a straight face while looking at this steaming pile of rust and tell you that everything is running smoothly. Like: "believe me, not your own eyes". My advice to people looking for a reliable truck would be to pass on anything that has the letters t-o-y-o-t-a on it. These trucks are junk! They may have been good in past years, but now all Toyota makes is Junk.

Poor Quality

Kevin, 07/19/2010

I picked up my Toyota Tacoma in November 2007 because of its quality and dependability. In almost 3 years my rear bumper is rusting, there is rust on the roof of the cab, the plastic in the wheel well is falling out. I could go on with problems.

Best truck I ever owned

Cody, 06/04/2008

I got this truck about a week ago after being on deployment in Afghanistan for around 7 months and am loving every second with it. It's fun to drive, and surprisingly good on gas. It's a gorgeous truck, and I have gotten many compliments on it. I got the TRD Sport Package, and the added hood scoop gives the truck a tough, offroad look. The 4 wheel drive is more than capable, and it rides really well on the street. The included Bilstein Suspension, makes potholes and bumps feel pretty much non existent. I don't think I could be more pleased with it, and look forward to driving it for 10 or more years, since of course it is a Toyota.

Tacoma has known suspension problems

jjgarvey, 11/14/2011

I have had two Tacoma double cabs - 2004 and 2008. I bought the second because I was happy with the first. Unfortunately, the quality of the 08 Tacoma is disappointing and Toyota's response to documented suspension problems has been unsatisfactory. There is a widely known noise problem with newer Tacomas' suspension that the company has not addressed. The truck is now an embarrassment to drive because it groans so loud. Toyota Customer Cares does not at all! Recently, the truck got stuck in wet grass and I popped a ABS sensor before I could get it us stuck...4x4?

uncomfortable

bob1971, 04/29/2011

This is a reliable great quality truck and all but they put these adjustable lumbar supports in them that kill my back . After a while of driving this thing I can feel the bar pressing against my back . If you turn it the other way ( to take the pressure off ) there is a big indention there which is just as bad . It is so bad , I sold the truck .

Tacoma 08 -- 2 wheel drive

Swiss, 09/10/2010

2008 Tacoma; purchase from Hunt. Bch. Toyota; driven ONLY in Calif. 1) Looks nice; good color; dark blue 2) Interior ;good color, dark gray 3) BAD Mileage; about 13 to 15 freeway 4) BAD Interior; easily dinged plastic 5) BAD Contract with dealership 6) BAD ; bait and switch; alarm sold me expensive/put in junk 7) Toyota motor corp is non responsive mfg is again not doing anything to deal with stalling & mileage & fraud ! Never again> no Toyota's a dangerous vehicle. Stay away from hb Toyota and Toyota products>>

Got Clutch?

Got Clutch?, 09/22/2008

I've had this vehicle for about 9 months, put 10600 miles on it so far. And just lost my clutch. Luckily my friend with a ram was following me and could tow me to a safe place. I'm disappointed. EXTREMELY! I had a rav4 before this which had the tranny drop in it. I just figured it was the luck of buying a used car. I bought new this time in hopes that it would be more dependable... not so much. I take long trips and take my truck off road. I can't be breaking down in the middle of no where when i don't have reception. I would suggest the tacoma... but good luck.

A Little Disappointed

Ward, 10/08/2008

This is my third Toyota. Although I have been sold on the overall quality of Toyota, I am somewhat disappointed with my present truck. I get vibration in the steering wheel between 55 and 70 MPH. After three trips to the dealership and replacement of two tires,I still have the vibration. Now the metal framework in the seatback on the driver's side is coming out through the fabric. The A/C fan motor would only work on high speed (resistor replacement required). The transmission shifts rough, the door speakers buzz when the bass is turned on step 5 (volume is only at medium). My best gas mileage so far is 20.2 MPG (hwy). Did I mention I only have 5200 miles since purchased new.

It's a Toyota

dino, 12/31/2007

This is my 5th toyota purchase and my first truck. I purchased the prerunner access cab 4cyl 5sp with the convenience package. It cost me $19,300 with 3 years of zero financing. Even though I liked the older body style this was a no brainer purchase. I wanted a truck that looked good and got decent gas mileage(20 to 25). It's like the old tacoma on steriods. It should last me quite awhile.

Tundra's Little Brother

myname150, 05/13/2009

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

Great Truck for the Money

Shane, 05/24/2008

I had been looking at trucks for over a year when I finally took the plunge and purchased the Tacoma. It is a great truck for what I need it for. Adequate room for all the stuff I need for work and the children are comfy in the back seat. I added several options to the truck that I felt should almost come as standard features in this day and age (iPod hookup, all weather mats, hands free phone, etc.).

Good truck but I still miss my '90 Toy!

Sparky, 06/06/2008

We've had this for 6 months now. Had a '90 truck, so the size of this one put me off at first, but I've adapted and my wife has to the creature comforts lacking in the '90, which is the main reason I HAD to get a new truck! We just finished a 1400 mile trip to the Eastern Sierras. A mix of freeway, hills, mountains and dirt roads. As others mentioned, fifth is pretty weak to maintain freeway speeds on steep inclines, so used 4th for that and everything was fine. As for mileage, got 27.2mpg for the entire trip. Think we could beat that on an all freeway trip to LA. Unless you really think you need 4WD, V6,A/T why haul all that extra weight around? At $4.25 a gallon it all adds up.

Basic 4WD Toyota compact pickup

Western Plainsman, 12/14/2007

The pickup rides surprisingly well; seat is okay; sufficient legroom; good passing power in 4th gear; 22 MPG at 70 MPH so far...1,500 miles. Bought the cheapest 4WD pickup Toyota makes; only option is Air. I've added floor mats & a factory cruise. My wife inherited the Tundra 4WD. She didn't want the Tacoma because it has none of the goodies. Hey, but it's paid for!

Excellent Little Truck!

Tommy, 06/12/2008

I purchased this "mini-taco" 03-22-2008 as a way to downsize and conserve. Couldn't be happier with this truck. It is the 4x4 regular cab, the smallest tacoma. What a great design, big on features. Driving mildly, now averaging 23-24 mpg overall. Thats not great but consider its a 4x4. It handles the road much better than the older generation. The steering radius is another pleasant surprise. The performance is better than expected. The 4cyl engine will really move if you want it to. I did get the SR5 package which gives the reg cab truck bucket seats. Very comfortable and supportive. Many cup holders, using the 2 on the rear of the center console for reserve water bottles.

51050