Used 2001 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Almost 250,000 miles and going strong.
By Scott Link

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got my 2001 Sienna XLE used almost 5 years ago. It's 17 years old, almost old enough to vote. Almost an adult in age. So there have been some things fail. As you would expect. But everything that has failed has been minor, the engine and powertrains has been amazing. Great acceleration out of the V6, decent mileage. A little after 200,000 miles the engine started burning oil. No leaks at all, just burning it. I switched to a high mileage oil blend, and within 2 oil changes the oil burn had stopped. At almost 250,000 miles it does not burn/leak a drop of oil. All the things that make the car go are holding up amazingly well. Just have to do the normal maintenance: oil, brakes, tires. The things that have failed are annoyances, but not "deal breakers" for me. I have replaced every single exterior door handle. They are plastic, and the replacements are plastic. The driver power door will open under power, but won't close under power most of the time. The JBL stereo system, both front spare surrounds rotted. I was able to replace them with aftermarket parts for not too much money. The other JBL speakers are fine, so that's weird. That's it. It could die tomorrow, but it has been an amazing vehicle.

As a car guy, it's my favorite ride
By Jeremy

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I get this Minivan at 130k and sell it 170k miles after 2.5 years. It's my favourite. It's comfortable, drives like a cloud, it is powerful, gives you a lot of pull when you need it. It tows well, i move my home with it plus u-hall trailer. Reliability is good, however, the shocks needs replacement after years, but it's cheap to get and put on. also front brakes needs work too. ABS quit work because the snow situation in upstate new york, I prefer no ABS on this van. Interior are compartively small, but still comfortable. If you get an XLE, you will have sunroof, heated leather seats, power doors, climate control, 6CD with JBL.
Only drawback I believe is the styling, and the stereotype people judge on minivan drivers. Also, my rocker panel all rust out, hood front is rusty too.

Putt-Putt still putts
By Tab

2001 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The electric door quite working a year ago. Had to replace the window motors. Took 20 minutes to get the window up in 110 degree heat! Both visors totally wore out. Have to repair brakes a lot, but I do a lot of city driving. Engine light has been on for about 6 years. Same with tire light. Flunked smog test for last 6 years. Cost $1,500 for repairs to pass smog test. Had to replace computer in 2011, cost over $3,000 with the dealer. I think they ripped me off. One by one the door handles quite working, had to be replaced when I couldn't get into the car any longer. Had to fix an oil leak. An axle broke. One morning the steering wheel fell off. Thank goodness I was in a parking lot. But my van survived being rear ended three times in two years, needing major repairs. In spite of all this, I love this van. It is comfortable, reliable, and I raised my kids in it. I would get it again.

STILL Love this car!
By AY

2001 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update: Nearing 152,000 miles. Car still purrs like new. Does need a good wax job though!

Almost to 150,000 miles in 15 years. Best car I've ever owned. No bells or whistles, thus no expensive repairs. Cargo space is amazing. Have transported goats, chickens, and dogs with back seats removed. Have even slept in car during storm when camping. Car flies effortlessly up mountain roads, with full load. Overdrive feature provides just enough kick for steep climbs. This minivan has seen the western half of the US, and has always been reliable. The only major problem we've had is with the anti-lock braking system, which has been the only expensive repair (>$1K). Change the oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and the car is happy.

My 2001 sienna
By Tony

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It was my first new vehicle after almost 15 years with 94k miles and still has the original alternator. Kids had great time in it while on road trips