Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2001 RAV4 AWD Automatic

Blondebear1, 02/16/2002

I have gotten 25 mpg consistently with my RAV4 using synthetic motor, transfer case and differential oils. Acceleration is adequate for me. Do not listen to the automotive review writers when they tell you this car is underpowered. I can easily go 90 mph. I love the easily removable rear seats and the large cargo area removing them provides. I don't bump my head when entering. Good storage in the dash for stuff. Antilock brakes work great.

Love This Car

Maricruz, 10/23/2015
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 RAV4 at 106k miles. It is now at 118k and it runs as good as a new car. It is so comfortable and so reliable. Ive only had to do the basic maintenance which include oil change and brake change. It is so great on gas. It looks newer than a 2002. The paint and parts are all original and it rides so smooth. My only complain is the spare tire cover, unfortunately it is too difficult to remove. Other than that everything about this truck is great.

I love my Rav4!

kate66, 01/27/2014

I bought my Rav4 used in 2006 with 34,000 miles. I have had absolutely no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. I have made multiple cross-country trips in it and have found it to be very comfortable even on long car rides. People can not believe how old my car is when they look at it. It still has its original paint, and people think it's brand new. I love the way it drive. It has a lot of road noise, but I knew that going into it. At 90,600, it's still going strong. I think I am one of the only people I know who not only loves my car but actually doesn't want a new one.

Brooklyn Rav 4

Gary, 08/05/2016
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Rav4, HAVE 159k miles. Had the tranny ECM issue a few years back, Toyota replaced ECM for free(car had less than 100k miles ansd was less than 10 years old at that time. Replaced from struts and got spring strut assembly(about $300 TOTAL) took about 1 hour to swap out on lift. I plan to keep Rav another2-4 years and see no problem getting over 200k miles. I wish Toyota made washing machines...I would buy them , indestructible. At 200k miles hadf to put on new exhaust(got my money worth, from original, one AND RADIO DIED, NEED TO PUT IN REPLACEMENT RADIO. Car still runs and drives great!!

Buyer Beware

catrna, 06/08/2012

I have owned a 2002 for 5 years and while it seemed like a good car at first it is not. At 89000 miles the transmission died and is no longer covered buy warranty. After doing more web serarching I found that Many 2001-2003 Rav 4's have presented with this problem Toyota is aware of this but has not recalled. So unless you have monney in your pocket to shell out for car repaires don't buy.

Amazing car until the ecm went

tha dude, 02/04/2010

and your ecm WILL mess up your transmission... i wasted money on a new transmission and was told my ecm got reprogrammed but it still does the same stuff to me. its pretty scary when u drive across a four way and your car slows down and drags while you're inside being jerked around. will never buy a toyota EVER again. now im looking into other cars..... makes me mad because the car was perfect until this.

RAV 4

gabster2, 06/24/2011

I had this car for 6 years and overall it was a very good car. It was extremely reliable. I never made any large repairs. It was beginning to lose all the little parts (power windows, thing that holds the back door open etc.). I live on a class 4 road and have really rough winters to contend with. It is a little top heavy but it got me through some fairly rough storms and mud. My biggest complaint was comfort while driving but I am a very small person.

Cockroach

isnide23, 07/22/2014

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Thanks for nothing Toyota!!!

Toyotasux!!, 07/14/2010

Well I bought this vehicle back when Toyota still had a good reputation but sadly I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA. The computer gave out so there was $1,300 to pay and after that the transmission went kaput so there goes another $3,000. Not to mention the horrifying experience of it stopping when turning left. Toyota does not care about its customers all they care about is your $$$$.

Expensive price and not satisfied

Edgar, 01/31/2010

Purchased new in 2002. 56,000 miles today. The Good. Leather seats ergonomic with great back support. Removable seats. Great handling. No major engine problems The Bad. Wimpy 2.0 engine. Interior started rattling soon after purchase and was never properly fixed. Dealership (not toyota) recalled and reprogrammed the ECM (computer) for tranny but experiencing no problems as of today. Forums on RAV Transmission computer problems are scary. Thermostat needed replacement. Side crash tests do not inspire confidence. Rear suspension noise and corrosion of AWD system makes alignment nightmare. My 1995 Chevy Lumina feels it is of a higher quality and that should tell you something.

One of many

Fred, 05/08/2017
4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

You see them everywhere, except in junkyards. I've been in and out of a few over the last year hunting for parts for my Grand Marquis. I haven't seen a Rav 4 yet. I'd like to get a spare steel wheel but I always turn up empty. If you want a car that's affordable, easy to handle, somewhat economical, and really reliable you won't go wrong here. Lots of cargo room if you fold down the rear seats. Even more if you lift them out ! Not the most stylish vehicle on the road but it's not hideous either. Mines full time 4WD so it might be a little more aggressive when it comes to cabin noise but it's livable. Superior road handling. Average everywhere else which truly isn't a bad thing. You could spend almost double on a Lexus but would your 5 or 6 bags of groceries in the back know or even care ?

sadness

katie, 01/10/2010

I bought my 2002 Rav4 as a certified used car from a Toyota dealership 3.5 years ago. In the first few months I took it in several times for minor bits here and there, no big deal. In the last year I have had to have the window edges re-wrapped due to premature? rusting (500.00) a new speed sensor (500.00), and found out the drivers side door was missing over 10 screws and that was why the lock mechanism was able to be pulled out and back window could not be rolled down. Now I find out the transmission computer is broken, and the transmission is probably ruined to the tune of 5,000.00, which after reading reports online is very common. Really disappointed, I thought this car would last.

Beware I'm done with all Toyota products

2002Rav4Sucks, 07/30/2010

Don't buy Toyota. Read the reviews here. All of them. Some people even posted a good review before the on- board computer fried and then burn the transmission. Or before the engine burnt from the known oil sludge problem. Then wrote another bad review. I paid $14,000 used. Good deal private party with 40k miles. At 88k miles the engine blew-up from oil sludge. I didn't know about the "oil sludge recall" until after I had it rebuilt for $4,500. Then at about 97k miles the jerking shifting started. This is my daughter's car so I took it in to my mechanic. He said on board computer $1300 and the transmission is cooked because of the computer problem. $5,600 for rebuild and new computer (cont'd

Disappointed by Repairs

myravsucks, 03/27/2012

Bad camshaft had to be replaced at 90k miles. Vibrations and noise from manual transmission at 80k miles -dealer could not find anything wrong. Started slipping out of 5th gear at 100k miles requiring new transmission. This car has been babied and driven gently by one owner. All preventative maintenance performed regularly.

ECM Died at 105M

saddened customer, 06/24/2010

I originally posted at Edmunds how I loved, loved, LOVED my Rav4 at time of purchase back in 2002. However, car started jerking last week, couldn't accelerate, so towed it to dealer, went online, and discovered the brain/transmission problem! Paid over $1300 to replace the brain, and have no faith in my car anymore. Dealer couldn't guarantee it won't start lurching again, so it's time to switch from Toyota, sadly. A company that doesn't stand behind a problem that it knows exists at least when I trade it in, I can show I paid to 'fix' the ECM, but I pray the car just gets retired rather than potentially hurting another soul!

Rav4=No worries

FunSmart, 07/02/2010

We I was looking for a car I back in 2006 grabbed the consumer report and this car showed the best rating of all (not only small SUV). I bought it used and through these years (today 2010) I have confirmed day by day that the reports were true. The Rav4 is spacious (you can easily remove the back seats) for cargo and passengers. The spare tire gives the sporty "Jeepy" look and unlike other cars there is no sacrifice of space to accommodate the tire inside the vehicle, so all that space left is yours to fill. Thanks to this the height of the base of the trunk is at or below your needs. Just go and compare this with other cars, you will find they are much higher.

practical choice

hilberto, 02/12/2003

As with my 2 forer Toyotas, Camry an 4runner it is relia ble and has thiooughtful amenities. I need a vehicle with good traction for my work, and with fuel economy. The ride is better than my 94 4runner, and is affordable

Will Never Buy A Toyota Again

ToyotaNeverAgain, 08/18/2009

Car handles great in snow, rain. It is SEVERELY underpowered and I had to replace the catalytic converter at 62,000K ($2200). Transmission started slipping shortly after at 74,000K (new ECU, $2800). My average mileage is 20.8, so no sipper at all. Now at 100K the transmission is starting to act up again so its going out the door before it becomes my issue. Will never buy a Toyota again.

Transmission

Tom, 09/23/2009

Bought used with 14,000. Very well maintained. At 84K the transmission lurched. Learned that the ECM ($1,300) was defective and may have affected the transmission. Have never had a transmission problem with 8 cars purchased - some with 200K miles. I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN.

Excellent value

Camille, 10/11/2009

I've had my Rav4 for nearly 8 years and the only issue I ever had was with the engine light coming on within the first 2 or 3 years. Since the car was still under warranty, the O2 sensor that was causing the light to go on was replaced/repaired, and I've had no problems at all since then. With a standard transmission, it not only gets over 25 MPG even in city traffic, it also has great pick-up. I like having plenty of room. It came in handy when I moved. Removing and replacing the rear seats is challenging (but doable) for me, but for someone who isn't petite it might not be too difficult. I still think it's a good looking car, too. It's one of the wisest purchases I've ever made.

ECM Killed the transmission

Rav4 the junk heap, 03/09/2010

A week ago I would've rated this car a 4 out of 5 stars. Yesterday driving home the transmission went out. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-05 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 72,000 miles. Found out later that I'm covered by a 'Federal Emissions Warranty' mandated by the government. Called Toyota back and yes, I am covered after all, but only for the ECM and not the transmission. How ridiculous is that?

problem fixed

krealtors, 12/12/2010

I also had a transmission problem, but because of toyota they have extended the warranty until 10 yrs or 150,000 on 2002's not sure about other years. toyota dealer just replaced my computer and if problem comes back they will replace the transmission for FREE, I also didn't pay anything for the ECU (computer). I also believe service lady said they will also cover TCU as sell. so check with your local dealer.

2002 Toyota RAV4

MANISH PATEL, 02/16/2017
4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent Reliable SUV

O2sensors

Tom Harrington, 06/22/2018
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This model has 4 o2 sensors they never work everytime i go to get tags i have to replace them at $250.00 ea. The check engine light has been on since i have owned the vehichle. Can reset engine light but it comes right back on. Took it to toyota dealer for recall but still no fix.

RAV4 U

Marcus/markmils, 12/31/2002

I was skeptical about buying an SUV because I don't want to like SUV's. I think full size SUV's should serve more of a practical purpose instead of just burning fuel (towing or hauling loads). I also was concerned about the high ride height and resulting safety. Well the ute class of SUV's are practical and fun to drive and don't burn a lot of fuel. The RAV4 can be a daily commuter without giving away ride comfort. I hate to say it but I rather like the RAV4 and I've been a long time car owner. Good thing to be open minded!

A big NO to Toyota again

Phyllis, 07/30/2009

The car is ok apart from the check engine light that keeps coming on. Had the ECM reprogrammed but so far nothing has changed. I wonder if Toyota still stands by their product if they can't take the responsibility of acknowledging their mistakes. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

new transmission,etc. and a rental car for free!

amigo4, 05/26/2011

My transmission compleley died a week ago. I have some good news. It was towed to Precision Toyota, Tucson AZ; immediately I was told that there will be no charge for anything. And I was told just that way. I also was told that the repair can take up to 16 weeks. I called Toyota customer sercvice requesting a rental car for whatever time is takes for the repair. Received a call back the next day; I was advised to pick out the 2011 Toytoa car or van that I wanted to use from the rental department. I am now driving a 2011 Rav4 for free-and my car insurance covers the insurance. I am very happy!

Great Mom Who Looks Single SUV

Former Camry Lover, 04/11/2002

It was a shock after I bought it because I was used to the comfort of a Camry; however, after driving it for a weekend, I fell in love with it. Now my daughter looks forward to riding in it and it is just too much fun to drive!

Love the Rav!

oneknightonly, 05/06/2002

Great handling - I love being up a little higher that in a car but yet still having the "drive" of a car. It is extremly well built - love the looks and would definetly recommend it to everyone!

The Getaway Ride

Ronaldus, 05/12/2002

Great small truck to get away for a quick weekend trip with just enough room for 4.. and it saves you money on gas!

Please read before you buy!!

Debbie, 01/19/2009

Purchased my RAV4 brand new. Check engine light was on after about one year. Catalytic conv or O2 sensors were always said to be the reason. At 100,000K it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Causes major issues! I just received something from Toyota saying that they will reprogram my ECM for no charge now, but unfortunately for me, this defect already ruined my transmission. Do not even think about purchasing a 2001-2002 RAV4 unless you have several thousand extra dollars to replace a transmission and ECM (avg.$4K). Trust me!!

Poor Quality of work

Pat McMullen, 03/22/2009

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

Beware of Transmission Problems

Unhappy Camper, 06/13/2009

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I bought it because of Toyota's excellent reputation. At 87k miles I started having transmission problems. My car would rev up between gears and felt like it was slipping. At times it would hesitate and go into gears hard. I took it to Toyota and they knew right away what the problem was. They said that it was the ECU/ECM. It's the computer that tells the transmission when to shift. It was a very bad design and Toyota no longer has it in their newer models. The cost for a new computer is over $1500 with no guarantee it will even fix the problem. A new trans is over 3k so all together I could have $4500 in this vehicle. Not a happy camper...

Buy it -- you'll like it!

RAVingit, 08/01/2002

I loved my two Honda Civics -- that is, until I purchased the RAV4. A friend purchased a Lexus RX300 and, after enjoying rides in her luxury SUV, I decided I wanted one of my very own. So I purchased the affordable one - RAV4!! Believe it or not, the RAV4 L package even looks like the RX300 from the outside. I like a small car, so I was looking for a vehicle that drove like a small car but had the convenience of an SUV. The ride, quality and design of the RAV is everything I imagined! It zips in and out of traffic and is extremely fun to drive. The visibility is great -- I can't imagine driving a car again!

MY 2002 RAV 4

JIMMY BRUNO, 03/21/2004

HORSEPOWER IS ABOVE AVERAGE FOR A 4 CYL. HAD TROUBLE WITH NOISE IN THE DASH AND THE TOP CARGO CARRIER. DEALERSHIP TOOK CARE OF ALL OF THAT. IT COMES WITH A COMPASS IN THE MIRROR BUT NO OUTSIDE TEMP. DISPLAY. SEATING IS GOOD IN THE REAR AND FRONT AND THE SEATS FOLD DOWN AND COME OUT FOR ADDED HAULING. FRONT TO BACK MEASUREMENTS ARE EXCELLENT FOR MY NEEDS WHICH WERE A ADDED FEATURE FOR BUYING IT AS WERE THE EXTERIOR DESIGN. THE WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA HILLS RUN DOWN THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE VEHICLE. I HAVE TO CHANGE THEM THIS SUMMER AND IT'S NOT QUITE 2 YEARS OLD WITH 17,000 MILES ON IT.

Compact SUV, fun to drive

photog4fun, 10/15/2006

I've had my RAV4 for 4 1/2 yrs. now and it has been one of the best cars that I've owned in the past 35 yrs. Top qualities that I love: 1. Higher viewing position compared to a sedan 2. Short, compact with plenty of room inside 3.Comfortable seats, easy to reach radio, good drink holders, nice ride 4. 24-26 mpg mostly highway travel 5. Highly reliable car with almost no mechanical problems over the past 80,000 miles Cons: 1. Slippery in icy conditions 2. Body dings easily

Best SUV on the road

Rav4life, 05/02/2003

Extremely smooth and quiet ride. No drifting on the freeways, and very spacious for front-seat-only commuters.

Auto transmission defect

JKT, 06/04/2010

129,000 care-free miles and THEN transmission failure with an incredible lack of consideration by Toyota. ECU/ECM (computer module of automatic transmission) failure leading to destruction of tranny. Will cost $4- 5000 and Toyota has been aware of this via TSB (technical service bulletin) since 2006. Affecting years 2001-2003 with automatic. If your get a RAV-4 make sure it's got STICK!

Our 2nd Rav 4, we take another!

Randy, 10/29/2005

We already own a 1998 Rav 4 with 168000 miles and not a single trip to the repair shop. We purchased the 2002 Rav 4 for a 2nd vehicle and would recommend the Rav4 to anyone interested in purchasing a small, economical and fun to drive vehicle. I hope Toyota makes this model for 20 more years. I drove our 1998 Rav4 through 11 inches of snow on unplowed roads last January and passed many vehicles that were larger and stuck.

Like it so far

Dave Gogebic , 03/07/2002

Just purchased it. Fit and finish is excellent - but did have a cowling rattle that needed to be fixed. Really fun to drive and very quiet. I have the 5 speed which matches up great with the spunky engine. Handling is awesome! Interior room is great and loads of head room. It drives like a sports car but has an incredible amount of interior room for such a small vehicle.

2002 Rav4 AWD

Sean Allio, 09/29/2008

An overall good vehicle. Disappointed with Toyota's decline in quality. Not what it was 10-15 years ago. Had no major problems just small ones. The power door locks went out around 50k miles. Hatch door latch pin broke. Weather stripping pulled loose on window. Very noisy engine. Gets good gas mileage if you are on top of pre-maintenance.

Compact, Economical, Great on Gas

Ken, 01/11/2008

It helps the environment and my wallet to drive an SUV that utilizes fewer resources than most other compact SUV out there. The RAV4 is reliable, fuel efficient and economical to own (parts are fairly reasonable). I recommend this to anyone who cares about reliability, the environment and the price of gas today. Keep more cash in your wallet... drive a Toyota RAV4 people! Some may say it is not a cool car for guys to drive. I have heard it described as a "female's" car. Well, if this is the case, then those "females" are some very smart people on this planet. They happened to stumble on a money saver!!

A Year in Review ...

chas215, 07/14/2002

RAV4 is fun to drive. Like it alot but am disappointed with persistent rattle in sunroof (has been replaced but is still there) and other rattles in rear. Gas mileage is a huge disappointment , as well. But overall, it looks great and has a nice ride and adequate power for my purposes. No car/SUV is perfect. Just look at consumer discussions of luxury cars/SUV's. This one has many positives that allow me to accept the few negatives.

New Buyer

LJennetti66, 08/22/2006

The 2002 Toyota RAV4's exterior on the L-series model is the best around. It truly looks similar to a BMW from the side and is inexpensive to boot. I have found nothing but good reviews on the vehicle and it is fun to drive! It's spacious and fuel efficient and I can't think of a better small SUV to make it through winter and cruise through summer in!!!

I love my Rav 4!!

haylieplum, 10/21/2004

I just bought this car and I love it. It is so much fun to drive. I got the all black one and it's so sleek to look at. It looks like a smaller BMW suv. I love all the options I have on mine and I love the reliability of everything.

Big Problems

Ravlight, 06/03/2008

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

Toyota Rav4

Car and Driver, 04/07/2002

nice small suv much better than the new crv and all the other small sized suv's

My 1st Toyota

walt, 12/16/2007

Typical Toyota quality. Great engine, looks, handling. The mechanical AWD system is amazing for Canadian winters (esp. with M/S tires). Had it for 5 years & expect to keep it for another 10 or more.

MY TOY

rab264, 04/10/2002

My sister purchased a 2001 Rav4 and I went with her when she picked it out and purchased. I immediately feel in love with it. I purchased my in September, 2001 and really enjoy driving it. It is perfect for me as I have arthritus in my knees and the fact that I can step down makes it alot easier.

*BEWARE*

Lee, 07/23/2008

Loved this car at first, started getting a lot of wind noise, and noise from rear, had it looked at, but found nothing. Now, with only 120,000 miles on it, it started slipping. Had it checked and transmission is gone, of course it's past warranty, plus the ECM (engine control module) would also need to be replaced, costing me $4,800.00.

51050