Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

2001 RAV4 AWD Automatic

Blondebear1, 02/16/2002

I have gotten 25 mpg consistently with my RAV4 using synthetic motor, transfer case and differential oils. Acceleration is adequate for me. Do not listen to the automotive review writers when they tell you this car is underpowered. I can easily go 90 mph. I love the easily removable rear seats and the large cargo area removing them provides. I don't bump my head when entering. Good storage in the dash for stuff. Antilock brakes work great.

Love This Car

Maricruz, 10/23/2015
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 RAV4 at 106k miles. It is now at 118k and it runs as good as a new car. It is so comfortable and so reliable. Ive only had to do the basic maintenance which include oil change and brake change. It is so great on gas. It looks newer than a 2002. The paint and parts are all original and it rides so smooth. My only complain is the spare tire cover, unfortunately it is too difficult to remove. Other than that everything about this truck is great.

I love my Rav4!

kate66, 01/27/2014

I bought my Rav4 used in 2006 with 34,000 miles. I have had absolutely no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. I have made multiple cross-country trips in it and have found it to be very comfortable even on long car rides. People can not believe how old my car is when they look at it. It still has its original paint, and people think it's brand new. I love the way it drive. It has a lot of road noise, but I knew that going into it. At 90,600, it's still going strong. I think I am one of the only people I know who not only loves my car but actually doesn't want a new one.

Brooklyn Rav 4

Gary, 08/05/2016
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Rav4, HAVE 159k miles. Had the tranny ECM issue a few years back, Toyota replaced ECM for free(car had less than 100k miles ansd was less than 10 years old at that time. Replaced from struts and got spring strut assembly(about $300 TOTAL) took about 1 hour to swap out on lift. I plan to keep Rav another2-4 years and see no problem getting over 200k miles. I wish Toyota made washing machines...I would buy them , indestructible. At 200k miles hadf to put on new exhaust(got my money worth, from original, one AND RADIO DIED, NEED TO PUT IN REPLACEMENT RADIO. Car still runs and drives great!!

Buyer Beware

catrna, 06/08/2012

I have owned a 2002 for 5 years and while it seemed like a good car at first it is not. At 89000 miles the transmission died and is no longer covered buy warranty. After doing more web serarching I found that Many 2001-2003 Rav 4's have presented with this problem Toyota is aware of this but has not recalled. So unless you have monney in your pocket to shell out for car repaires don't buy.

Amazing car until the ecm went

tha dude, 02/04/2010

and your ecm WILL mess up your transmission... i wasted money on a new transmission and was told my ecm got reprogrammed but it still does the same stuff to me. its pretty scary when u drive across a four way and your car slows down and drags while you're inside being jerked around. will never buy a toyota EVER again. now im looking into other cars..... makes me mad because the car was perfect until this.

RAV 4

gabster2, 06/24/2011

I had this car for 6 years and overall it was a very good car. It was extremely reliable. I never made any large repairs. It was beginning to lose all the little parts (power windows, thing that holds the back door open etc.). I live on a class 4 road and have really rough winters to contend with. It is a little top heavy but it got me through some fairly rough storms and mud. My biggest complaint was comfort while driving but I am a very small person.

Cockroach

isnide23, 07/22/2014

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Thanks for nothing Toyota!!!

Toyotasux!!, 07/14/2010

Well I bought this vehicle back when Toyota still had a good reputation but sadly I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA. The computer gave out so there was $1,300 to pay and after that the transmission went kaput so there goes another $3,000. Not to mention the horrifying experience of it stopping when turning left. Toyota does not care about its customers all they care about is your $$$$.

Expensive price and not satisfied

Edgar, 01/31/2010

Purchased new in 2002. 56,000 miles today. The Good. Leather seats ergonomic with great back support. Removable seats. Great handling. No major engine problems The Bad. Wimpy 2.0 engine. Interior started rattling soon after purchase and was never properly fixed. Dealership (not toyota) recalled and reprogrammed the ECM (computer) for tranny but experiencing no problems as of today. Forums on RAV Transmission computer problems are scary. Thermostat needed replacement. Side crash tests do not inspire confidence. Rear suspension noise and corrosion of AWD system makes alignment nightmare. My 1995 Chevy Lumina feels it is of a higher quality and that should tell you something.

12345...12