Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

2002 Rav4 AWD

Sean Allio, 09/29/2008

An overall good vehicle. Disappointed with Toyota's decline in quality. Not what it was 10-15 years ago. Had no major problems just small ones. The power door locks went out around 50k miles. Hatch door latch pin broke. Weather stripping pulled loose on window. Very noisy engine. Gets good gas mileage if you are on top of pre-maintenance.

Compact, Economical, Great on Gas

Ken, 01/11/2008

It helps the environment and my wallet to drive an SUV that utilizes fewer resources than most other compact SUV out there. The RAV4 is reliable, fuel efficient and economical to own (parts are fairly reasonable). I recommend this to anyone who cares about reliability, the environment and the price of gas today. Keep more cash in your wallet... drive a Toyota RAV4 people! Some may say it is not a cool car for guys to drive. I have heard it described as a "female's" car. Well, if this is the case, then those "females" are some very smart people on this planet. They happened to stumble on a money saver!!

A Year in Review ...

chas215, 07/14/2002

RAV4 is fun to drive. Like it alot but am disappointed with persistent rattle in sunroof (has been replaced but is still there) and other rattles in rear. Gas mileage is a huge disappointment , as well. But overall, it looks great and has a nice ride and adequate power for my purposes. No car/SUV is perfect. Just look at consumer discussions of luxury cars/SUV's. This one has many positives that allow me to accept the few negatives.

New Buyer

LJennetti66, 08/22/2006

The 2002 Toyota RAV4's exterior on the L-series model is the best around. It truly looks similar to a BMW from the side and is inexpensive to boot. I have found nothing but good reviews on the vehicle and it is fun to drive! It's spacious and fuel efficient and I can't think of a better small SUV to make it through winter and cruise through summer in!!!

I love my Rav 4!!

haylieplum, 10/21/2004

I just bought this car and I love it. It is so much fun to drive. I got the all black one and it's so sleek to look at. It looks like a smaller BMW suv. I love all the options I have on mine and I love the reliability of everything.

Big Problems

Ravlight, 06/03/2008

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

Toyota Rav4

Car and Driver, 04/07/2002

nice small suv much better than the new crv and all the other small sized suv's

My 1st Toyota

walt, 12/16/2007

Typical Toyota quality. Great engine, looks, handling. The mechanical AWD system is amazing for Canadian winters (esp. with M/S tires). Had it for 5 years & expect to keep it for another 10 or more.

MY TOY

rab264, 04/10/2002

My sister purchased a 2001 Rav4 and I went with her when she picked it out and purchased. I immediately feel in love with it. I purchased my in September, 2001 and really enjoy driving it. It is perfect for me as I have arthritus in my knees and the fact that I can step down makes it alot easier.

*BEWARE*

Lee, 07/23/2008

Loved this car at first, started getting a lot of wind noise, and noise from rear, had it looked at, but found nothing. Now, with only 120,000 miles on it, it started slipping. Had it checked and transmission is gone, of course it's past warranty, plus the ECM (engine control module) would also need to be replaced, costing me $4,800.00.

12345...12