Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Please read before you buy!!

Debbie, 01/19/2009

Purchased my RAV4 brand new. Check engine light was on after about one year. Catalytic conv or O2 sensors were always said to be the reason. At 100,000K it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Causes major issues! I just received something from Toyota saying that they will reprogram my ECM for no charge now, but unfortunately for me, this defect already ruined my transmission. Do not even think about purchasing a 2001-2002 RAV4 unless you have several thousand extra dollars to replace a transmission and ECM (avg.$4K). Trust me!!

Poor Quality of work

Pat McMullen, 03/22/2009

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

Beware of Transmission Problems

Unhappy Camper, 06/13/2009

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I bought it because of Toyota's excellent reputation. At 87k miles I started having transmission problems. My car would rev up between gears and felt like it was slipping. At times it would hesitate and go into gears hard. I took it to Toyota and they knew right away what the problem was. They said that it was the ECU/ECM. It's the computer that tells the transmission when to shift. It was a very bad design and Toyota no longer has it in their newer models. The cost for a new computer is over $1500 with no guarantee it will even fix the problem. A new trans is over 3k so all together I could have $4500 in this vehicle. Not a happy camper...

Buy it -- you'll like it!

RAVingit, 08/01/2002

I loved my two Honda Civics -- that is, until I purchased the RAV4. A friend purchased a Lexus RX300 and, after enjoying rides in her luxury SUV, I decided I wanted one of my very own. So I purchased the affordable one - RAV4!! Believe it or not, the RAV4 L package even looks like the RX300 from the outside. I like a small car, so I was looking for a vehicle that drove like a small car but had the convenience of an SUV. The ride, quality and design of the RAV is everything I imagined! It zips in and out of traffic and is extremely fun to drive. The visibility is great -- I can't imagine driving a car again!

MY 2002 RAV 4

JIMMY BRUNO, 03/21/2004

HORSEPOWER IS ABOVE AVERAGE FOR A 4 CYL. HAD TROUBLE WITH NOISE IN THE DASH AND THE TOP CARGO CARRIER. DEALERSHIP TOOK CARE OF ALL OF THAT. IT COMES WITH A COMPASS IN THE MIRROR BUT NO OUTSIDE TEMP. DISPLAY. SEATING IS GOOD IN THE REAR AND FRONT AND THE SEATS FOLD DOWN AND COME OUT FOR ADDED HAULING. FRONT TO BACK MEASUREMENTS ARE EXCELLENT FOR MY NEEDS WHICH WERE A ADDED FEATURE FOR BUYING IT AS WERE THE EXTERIOR DESIGN. THE WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA HILLS RUN DOWN THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE VEHICLE. I HAVE TO CHANGE THEM THIS SUMMER AND IT'S NOT QUITE 2 YEARS OLD WITH 17,000 MILES ON IT.

Compact SUV, fun to drive

photog4fun, 10/15/2006

I've had my RAV4 for 4 1/2 yrs. now and it has been one of the best cars that I've owned in the past 35 yrs. Top qualities that I love: 1. Higher viewing position compared to a sedan 2. Short, compact with plenty of room inside 3.Comfortable seats, easy to reach radio, good drink holders, nice ride 4. 24-26 mpg mostly highway travel 5. Highly reliable car with almost no mechanical problems over the past 80,000 miles Cons: 1. Slippery in icy conditions 2. Body dings easily

Best SUV on the road

Rav4life, 05/02/2003

Extremely smooth and quiet ride. No drifting on the freeways, and very spacious for front-seat-only commuters.

Auto transmission defect

JKT, 06/04/2010

129,000 care-free miles and THEN transmission failure with an incredible lack of consideration by Toyota. ECU/ECM (computer module of automatic transmission) failure leading to destruction of tranny. Will cost $4- 5000 and Toyota has been aware of this via TSB (technical service bulletin) since 2006. Affecting years 2001-2003 with automatic. If your get a RAV-4 make sure it's got STICK!

Our 2nd Rav 4, we take another!

Randy, 10/29/2005

We already own a 1998 Rav 4 with 168000 miles and not a single trip to the repair shop. We purchased the 2002 Rav 4 for a 2nd vehicle and would recommend the Rav4 to anyone interested in purchasing a small, economical and fun to drive vehicle. I hope Toyota makes this model for 20 more years. I drove our 1998 Rav4 through 11 inches of snow on unplowed roads last January and passed many vehicles that were larger and stuck.

Like it so far

Dave Gogebic , 03/07/2002

Just purchased it. Fit and finish is excellent - but did have a cowling rattle that needed to be fixed. Really fun to drive and very quiet. I have the 5 speed which matches up great with the spunky engine. Handling is awesome! Interior room is great and loads of head room. It drives like a sports car but has an incredible amount of interior room for such a small vehicle.

12345...12