Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

ECM Killed the transmission

Rav4 the junk heap, 03/09/2010

A week ago I would've rated this car a 4 out of 5 stars. Yesterday driving home the transmission went out. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-05 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 72,000 miles. Found out later that I'm covered by a 'Federal Emissions Warranty' mandated by the government. Called Toyota back and yes, I am covered after all, but only for the ECM and not the transmission. How ridiculous is that?

problem fixed

krealtors, 12/12/2010

I also had a transmission problem, but because of toyota they have extended the warranty until 10 yrs or 150,000 on 2002's not sure about other years. toyota dealer just replaced my computer and if problem comes back they will replace the transmission for FREE, I also didn't pay anything for the ECU (computer). I also believe service lady said they will also cover TCU as sell. so check with your local dealer.

2002 Toyota RAV4

MANISH PATEL, 02/16/2017
4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent Reliable SUV

O2sensors

Tom Harrington, 06/22/2018
2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This model has 4 o2 sensors they never work everytime i go to get tags i have to replace them at $250.00 ea. The check engine light has been on since i have owned the vehichle. Can reset engine light but it comes right back on. Took it to toyota dealer for recall but still no fix.

RAV4 U

Marcus/markmils, 12/31/2002

I was skeptical about buying an SUV because I don't want to like SUV's. I think full size SUV's should serve more of a practical purpose instead of just burning fuel (towing or hauling loads). I also was concerned about the high ride height and resulting safety. Well the ute class of SUV's are practical and fun to drive and don't burn a lot of fuel. The RAV4 can be a daily commuter without giving away ride comfort. I hate to say it but I rather like the RAV4 and I've been a long time car owner. Good thing to be open minded!

A big NO to Toyota again

Phyllis, 07/30/2009

The car is ok apart from the check engine light that keeps coming on. Had the ECM reprogrammed but so far nothing has changed. I wonder if Toyota still stands by their product if they can't take the responsibility of acknowledging their mistakes. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

new transmission,etc. and a rental car for free!

amigo4, 05/26/2011

My transmission compleley died a week ago. I have some good news. It was towed to Precision Toyota, Tucson AZ; immediately I was told that there will be no charge for anything. And I was told just that way. I also was told that the repair can take up to 16 weeks. I called Toyota customer sercvice requesting a rental car for whatever time is takes for the repair. Received a call back the next day; I was advised to pick out the 2011 Toytoa car or van that I wanted to use from the rental department. I am now driving a 2011 Rav4 for free-and my car insurance covers the insurance. I am very happy!

Great Mom Who Looks Single SUV

Former Camry Lover, 04/11/2002

It was a shock after I bought it because I was used to the comfort of a Camry; however, after driving it for a weekend, I fell in love with it. Now my daughter looks forward to riding in it and it is just too much fun to drive!

Love the Rav!

oneknightonly, 05/06/2002

Great handling - I love being up a little higher that in a car but yet still having the "drive" of a car. It is extremly well built - love the looks and would definetly recommend it to everyone!

The Getaway Ride

Ronaldus, 05/12/2002

Great small truck to get away for a quick weekend trip with just enough room for 4.. and it saves you money on gas!

12345...12