Used 2016 Subaru WRX Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru WRX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific WRX model:

Fun to Drive
By Robert Stewart

2016 Subaru WRX Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great mileage for this type of sports car

A fun car, just know what it is you're buying...
By Dovolmoy

2016 Subaru WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Okay, I'm a Subie driver, and the Rex is a Goddess. That being said, you have to really know what the WRX family really is, a boatload of fun, great, evolved drivetrain, amazing handling and all of the things that remind you it's a Subie on a daily basis. Hmmm...what do I mean by that?

Okay, here's the deal, I've been a Subie driver for a while, I'm used to uh...less than opulent interior appointments, road noise and of course because I live in New England, potholes, other cars in its class are far more sparing on one's senses. I'm one of those guys with a sort of "Auto Union" envy. My car is in the same price class, but where the GTI is refined as only VW can, my car is uh, less refined.

Why the Rex? It's simple, it's just a straight-up car, 6 speed, Symmetrical AWD, fun machine, a total beast when called upon and just plain solid car at leisure. I spent a couple of extra bucks for fog lights and what I consider an adequate car system. No really cool stuff like the GTI, just a straight up car. All of the ventilation works adequately.

Sure there are days when I wish I had a bit more luxury, but the Rex is a trade-off, it's just a blast compared to the other cars I drove (GTI and Focus ST). If I wanted an automatic and a bit more creature comfort, I'd probably end up with....(drumroll please)...I have not a clue, but I've been driving Subie for a long time. I'd probably end up with a Forester XT.

Practical and a blast to drive.
By Robert Van Ackooy

2016 Subaru WRX Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is my second AWD turbo (I had a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD for about 16 years) and first with an automatic. I picked up my white WRX in August of 2015. I love a manual with AWD, but with a 5 speed Mach 1 as my other car, I wanted one of my cars to be an automatic. The CVT in the WRX really mimics a manual very well. Responsive and not too smooth, so that you feel like you are driving a performance car and not a family sedan. Not gonna deny that a manual would be awesome in this car, but the CVT is not time spent in the penalty box at all. The technology in this car is pretty amazing. Never thought I would ever drive a fun, sporty car like this with so many bells and whistles. Lots of safety technology too. Maybe my all time favorite interior (I like it even better than my previous 2011 VW GTI). Seats are comfortable and the instrumentation looks terrific in red. The upgraded (HK) stereo really sounds amazing. The car is fast and feels fast. Very satisfying to drive. Love the signature hood scoop and the quad exhaust looks very sharp. I haven't had one regret about buying this car. Practical (4 doors, plenty of rear seat space, spacious trunk), safe (blind spot monitoring, lane change alert, rear camera, awesome AWD), and fun (great acceleration, nice exhaust note, athletic handling) all combine to make this car a total package. No boring drives in a WRX.

Update (2/8/18): I had a Borla Catback Exhaust installed recently and it made a big difference in the sound. Factory exhaust was fine, but a bit tame. The Borla Exhaust added more tone and a lot more personality to the car. It simply has made a fun car to drive, even more fun to drive.

2016 WRX 1 year and 26,000 miles later
By valerysbills@gmail.com

2016 Subaru WRX Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought one after being urban and car-free for 2 years. Had SAAB turbos before and wanted something fun with a stick which is becoming harder and harder to get in the US. Always wanted a WRX and was hoping for a 2nd hand clean STI which turned out harder to find than I though. Bought new since the Prem was within my budget (should have ordered Limited for the lights alone). The Good: Nothing offers AWD and this much fun for the price. Tons of aftermarket goodies for tuning. Good fuel economy for a near 300 hp car. Little turbo lag. Beast in the snow when I put snow tires on it. Far better interior quality than that FisherPrice plastics that Subies have been known for. The Bad: Interior is still cheap with a lot of rattles. Stock ECU tune is crap... falls flat on its face at 4,300 rpm and a COBB tune is a must (or a pro-tune). Headlights on prem and base have poor output. Interior ergonomics are 3/10.... One-touch window for driver only (in 2016!!!), no light sensor to adjust dashboard brightness (in 2016!!!!). A lot of engine movement which leads to sloppy shifter feel. Good car for the money but you will spend a lot of time and $$$ on aftermarket bits to remove/resolve some of the penny pinching that Subaru did.

turbo lag, too much, can't stand it
By jase

2016 Subaru WRX STI Series.HyperBlue 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is my first sti, Turbo lag, can't stand it. worst than the mini jcw I own couple years back. it's powerful as far as 4 cylinders goes, but makes me feel like driving one of those Honda civic si, high rpm all the time but a lot faster. I bought it cause it's a all season car and I'm in NYC. STI in japan has more power, s207. I hate Japanese products including cars now. They keep their best products in their domestic markets like their phones and Walkman in the 90s. trade it in for a m2 recently, the dash of a M2 is hideous, worst than the STI. But no more turbo lag.