Used 2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
Select your model:
12345...19

Pros
Cons

Less noise than last year

Scott M., 08/12/2017
3.6R Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I drove the 2017 Outback and really liked it, except for the wind noise and road noise. I read that Subaru was going to make improvements in that department with new glass and insulation in the wheel wells. I'm glad I waited for the 2018. The difference is very noticeable. The new interface for the infotainment system is nice, too. The fit and finish is excellent. I'm very pleased with this vehicle.

3rd Outback

CW, 11/05/2017
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This review is based relative to my experience with my 2 previous Outbacks both of which were also Premium models. The 2018 is an entirely different vehicle. Drivers seat is less slippery and feels ab it deeper, in my 2011 and 2015 I was always repositioning myself. The seat does sit a bit lower than I like. The new gearing/programing on the CVT was needed and my 2018 performs like a real car now rather than the past 2 tach screamers. The new media center is so much easier to use than the past one I just wanted to bet with a hammer sometimes. mileage is about the same and still great. Ride is a whole lot quieter and I'm still getting used to the eyesight feature but a nice option so far. Just before I traded in my 2015 I put new 60k Cooper tires on it and they were awesome, the stock tires on new Outbacks are short lived and somewhat noisy but that's about the only negative......so far

Great Car but Electronic Gremlins

Roger Harrison, 10/12/2017
3.6R Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

We traded our 2015 Legacy on a 2018 3.6R touring and embarked on a 3000 mile tour of the West. The four was best around town; performance, particularly at 6000 ft. where we live, was adequate at best and the engine note was like rattling a coffee can full of rocks. It was an engine you felt sorry for. The 3.6R is an entirely different proposition - a great, quiet, confidence inducing long distance cruiser with plenty of power from an engine that sounds like it's enjoying itself. We averaged 28MPH with a lot of two-lane driving. Blind spot warning is much better now; a big yellow light nearer the driver that's easy to see. The HD rear view camera is very good, and the cross traffic alert is a life saver (literally) in crowded parking lots. Lane keep departure and assist work like they are supposed to. I think I finally found the right settings on the cruise control, but it takes a while; it brakes later than I would. Perhaps most impressive were the headlights; the auto high beams work so well they can be left on, and I like the diretional function of the headlight very much. But electronic gremlins came early and often: the car locked us out on the first day; the control center/navigation screen has frozen three times - once on a doo wop station that we couldn't turn off, and twice when it was navigating us somewhere. The navigation's voice command is not always syncronized with the onscreen prompts, and I find the Tom Tom navigation ackward to use, with a only a vague idea of where it is. Having to use the touchscreen to adjust the scale on the navigation map is distracting and it won't adjust behind 1/4 mile, at least on mine. Strangely, I find the audio in the 2018 Touring not up to the one in the 2015 Legacy although both are Harmon Karden. The new on is just OK.

For what it is, great. Some updates needed

Pj smith, 12/21/2017
3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

Moving from a 528 to this, so my expectations are moderate, but have been exceeded. Great safety features with the eyesight package. Decent power with the 6 cylinder (the 2.5 felt anemic to me). Not great gas mileage, but the car has s normally aspirated, so no need for premium fuels, which helps. About the only true beef I have is that the infotainment system is a known week spot. It’s been in need of a software update for a year, and Subaru America has been ignoring it. My quirks are generally minor and infrequent. Other owners I know have lost the whole system for a day at a time, which the dealer can’t replicate in most instances, and for which there is no fix until the Manufacturer rolls out a cleaned up patch

Good SUV alternative uncomfortable seats

slm66, 11/25/2017
3.6R Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

This is an update to earlier review. Now have owned car, radio head unit died and was replaced under warranty. Thus far new unit appears to be working although volume inconsistent. Sometimes after phone call radio volume comes back far louder than it was set. Road noise much more noticeable than in my former car especially noticeable to other people if using phone. I miss feature on old car that lowered fan speed on a/c during call and volume adjust for speed on radio. Any driver with back or neck issues should consider an extended test drive. I test drove the outback several times and even took it home for a weekend. I had some tightness in mid back but attributed that to some yard work I had been doing. A The seats are extremely firm and as others have mentioned the lumbar is aggressive and seems a little misplaced for me. I am 5'4". I believe the angle of the seat bottom (angled toward the back) is an issue. There is no way with the power adjustable seat to level out the seat cushion. It leaves your hips postioned at less than a 90 degree angle which is not comfortable for me. Each day I find my back pain increasing to the point that I may need to sell this car at a loss. After a four hour road trip (2 hours driving and 2 as passenger) I was uncomfortable. Positives of this car. It is great for difficult terrain. We climbed a dirt road hill with a significant incline using the xmode and it handled it with ease. Gas mileage is good for a 6 cylinder and size of car is great for around town. The touring edition has all the latest safety features. My windshield has cracked due to a rock. Windshields seems less strong than other cars. BE aware that the eyesight technology requires that any chip or crack in windshield be repaired with a Subaru windshield. Chips can not be filled or it interferes with the eyesight system per Subaru service dept. A windshield and recalibration of eyesight can run upwards of $1500. They do offer a windshield extended warranty type contract. Sales will likely not point this out during your test drive.

Car Shakes at Highway Speed

Old Vet, 11/08/2017
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Before buying, test drive this vehicle on a smooth Interstate. I didn't and it cost me. While the driver's seat is very comfy, driver vision excellent, power adequate and amenities (Bluetooth, CD, radio) easily accessible, the fact that the vehicle developed what I'm told is a harmonic vibration at speeds in excess of 60 mph made it unacceptable to me. The dealer balanced the tires and ultimately replaced all of them, to no avail. Firmly informed that the vibration is "normal" (state lemon law only requires a vehicle to behave normally), I had to get used to a mild shake or take the loss and trade it on something else. If you are not bothered by a mild but constant vibration on the highway, beyond what the pavement causes, then this may be the car for you. In any case, be sure to test it on the highway before writing the check.

Head Unit Nightmare

K. Howard, 12/31/2017
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

One week after purchasing the 2018 Outback, the infotainment system began having problems. It would repeatedly turn off and on during my daily commute. A week later, the entire head unit shut down and would not restart and the backup camera would not come on. Contacted the dealer who said it needed a software update, so scheduled an appointment with service department for the same week. The day before I was scheduled to take the car in, the car would not start. Nothing on the car worked. I had it towed into the dealership through roadside assistance. They performed the software update and installed a new battery. Three days later, and the head unit is repeatedly turning off and on again. Apparently, the software update was not effective. Very unhappy with this vehicle.

Beware the Squirrely Screen!!

GFE, 08/13/2018
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very, very happy with this purchase. Handles like a dream, gets a dependable 33 MPG on the highway, fantastic visibility and road feel. The ONE thing that disappoints me is the "screen" in the dashboard -- the nerve center of the vehicle. We had it less than a month when, one day, the screen went blank. No back-up camera, no "home" screen, no radio...nothing. Just. Went. Blank. It came back later in the day, but that was not much consolation...know that the screen could crap out at any moment. It has worked fine ever since. BUT...the Android Auto app is also a bit janky -- and doesn't work reliably. Disconnects from the USB-connected phone, or sometimes doesn't want to connect at all. When it works, it's great. But when it's being difficult, it's infuriating.

Electronic nightmare!

Barbara J., 11/19/2018
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2018 Outback's multi-media system went to black 7 months after I bought the car - no GPS, Bluetooth, radio, CD, phone functions. I was also having a problem with my brakes seizing on my driveway because apparently the safety sensors thought there was an obstacle (but there wasn't.) When I went into the service department, I was informed that they couldn't repair the multi-media system because it wasn't a Subaru part and they had no parts for the electronic system. Three weeks later, they have no definite date as to when this problem can be repaired. The service manager told me that there were 3 other customers waiting to have this multi-media system replaced. The service agent informed me that the braking problem was simply "because your car thinks there is an obstacle." I was so disgusted, I asked Subaru to buy back my car but was informed that this was not an option. I have never owned a Subaru until recently - I wish I never bought one!!

The Right Choice Update II

Kit Harma, 12/13/2017
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 20,000 miles and 21 months of ownership here is my update: Same over all satisfaction with the comfort and fuel efficiency but getting a little bit annoyed with the buggy electronics. We have had the rear hatch position sensor replaced, the head unit and fuel remaining software updated and just last week the amplifier was replaced as per Subaru Service Bulletin 15-235-18R. We have made two round trips from Washington to Arizona taking four days to cover each leg comfortably and getting 32 mpg. We haven't found the limit on how much stuff can be transported in this vehicle. The clearcoat finish scratches very easily.

12345...19