Used 2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
Select your model:
12345...38

Pros
Cons

Do research before buying

Rick Schein, 02/19/2018
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Navigation system is poor - turns on road from middle of bridge. Android Auto and Starlink are intermittent (4 vists to dealer, replaced radio head, replaced firmware) They have no idea. They replaced radio head with a remanufactuired unit (car was 2 weeks old!) Still doesn't work. They have no one who understands the computer side of the car. National support is poor.

What took me so long?

Keith, 02/08/2018
2.5i Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My purchase of a 2018 Subaru was a bit of a fluke. I was replacing a 2014 Honda CR-V, my second one in a row. Although the Honda is a great value and roomy for it's class, we were simply tired of all the road noise! The 2018 Honda was supposed to be quieter....I don't think so, and so the search began in earnest for a replacement. Bottom line we wanted something that had the gas mileage, Utility, and reliability of the CR-V, but needed to ride and be much more "travel" (quiet) friendly. After testing 8 vehicles; i.e.; Volvo XC60, Toyota Highlander, Kia Sorento, Honda CR-V, Honda Pilot, Acura RDX, Mazda CX9, & the Ford Edge, we still were not happy...Either they used premium fuel, had large noisy tires, too expensive or simply the same as everybody else; and then we finally drove the Subaru. We knew folks that owed them, and not one person who actually owned them said nothing but positive things about theirs. After our test drive, I finally "got it"...The new 2018 Outback Touring is simply excellent. We heard the reviews about the 2.5i 4 cycl. being under powered....I have owned over 23 automobiles. Under powered is relative, and in the real world, this vehicle will do what it needs to do and economically as well. Our first trip from Tennessee to Ohio was 32mpg and that's AWD. Our CR-V which was 2-wheel drive did not do much better. It is much quieter with the changes in acoustic front and side glass and design features to the front end. Inside we have received countless comments about how nice the interior looked. Yes, it is a bit simple...simple elegance beats out "flavor of the year" any day. Cargo capacity is on the larger side for it's category. Heated and reclining seats front and back makes trips very comfortable. My wife likes it, because she sits high in it like other CUVs. Electronics: From adaptive cruise, blu-tooth, to senors galore, it has everything you want except photon torpedoes. Our insurance went up only $30 dollars/yr going from a 5 year old Honda to our new Subaru due to all the safety features. The only negative we've seen thus far...the Harmon Kardon 14 speaker stereo...Honestly, my 18 year old Ford Sport Trac sounds better. We can't seem to find the "sweet spot" for this set-up yet. There have been some complaints by other reviewers about the navigation. We prefer Subaru's nav based on Tom-Tom, than other autos based on Garmin. Personal preference for everyone. More intuitive for us. I've also read other reviewers talk about the seats....We don't see the issue. In fact, we thought the seats were another positive point for the Outback especially given that our model has the seat memory. Last item: The attention to detail in both design and construction really sealed the deal. All-in-all, we wished we would have looked at Subaru a long time ago. If your tired of the same big box, noisy, hard to park vehicles out there, try Subaru....the "weird" alternative...Highly recommend.

Extremely Disappointing

Diana Buckley, 11/09/2018
3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

The Head Unit which basically controls everything on the screen is completely broken which means there is no navigation system, no map, no radio, no cd player, and no Carplay. The screen is totally black. We understand that things like this can happen, but what is not okay is the response of the dealer - or Subaru itself. We were told that the new systems are on "back order" with absolutely no approximate time when it could be replaced. Literally, this could be months. The system is made by Harman Kardon and according to our dealer, there are no replacements available. We don't know what that really means but it seems ridiculous to have paid as much money as we did - we specifically waited for the 2018 model to get Carplay - and not have it functional or fixed. What is most frustrating is that we have been complaining to the dealer for months about problems with the system (shutting down without warning, but then coming back up, map cutting out suddenly, carplay not working, etc). Nothing was done to repair this - we even asked about getting a new system. It wasn't until the screen became completely black they are saying that it needs to be replaced. We will say that we like the car, the comfort, and how it drives. We did a lot of research before buying this (it is our first Subaru) but are incredibly disappointed at this point.

Disappearing infotainment system

Riley, 12/19/2018
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Be aware that there is apparently a BIG problem with the so-called "head unit" in the 2018 Outback. Mine stopped working after about 8 months. No back up camera, can't listen to the radio, play any music, use CD player, no Bluetooth, no navigation and the parts of the system that still light up flash or go dark erratically. It's almost 4 weeks now and we called the dealer (again-because we thought they forgot us) and, this time, they said they don't know when the replacement will be available. We don't get the sense that anyone is really advocating for the owners in spite of this rather spectacular failure. We spent 37K on this car and now wish we bought a Toyota or a Honda. We are very disappointed. As for rating the car - it's hard to be charitable under the circumstances even though it certainly still gets me to work. Of course, so did the 15 year old Cavalier we had; and that radio worked!

Harman Kardon Entertainment Head Unit Failure

Very Disappointed Owner, 11/29/2018
3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

After 8,000 miles my Harman Kardon radio head unit failed-black screen. This results in no radio, back up camera, navigation or phone. My Subaru dealership informed me it was not a Subaru issue but, a Harman Kardon parts issue. Therefore they cannot begin to give me an estimate of when my new part will arrive. Per the parts manager, "there are so many units needed and the replacement process is out of our hands. It's up to the radio manufacturer." It has been 2 weeks now -no idea of when I may get the part. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed. I could have used that $38,000.00 and purchased a much better product.

12345...38