Used 2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
Select your model:
12345...38

Pros
Cons

Car Shakes at Highway Speed

Old Vet, 11/08/2017
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Before buying, test drive this vehicle on a smooth Interstate. I didn't and it cost me. While the driver's seat is very comfy, driver vision excellent, power adequate and amenities (Bluetooth, CD, radio) easily accessible, the fact that the vehicle developed what I'm told is a harmonic vibration at speeds in excess of 60 mph made it unacceptable to me. The dealer balanced the tires and ultimately replaced all of them, to no avail. Firmly informed that the vibration is "normal" (state lemon law only requires a vehicle to behave normally), I had to get used to a mild shake or take the loss and trade it on something else. If you are not bothered by a mild but constant vibration on the highway, beyond what the pavement causes, then this may be the car for you. In any case, be sure to test it on the highway before writing the check.

Head Unit Nightmare

K. Howard, 12/31/2017
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

One week after purchasing the 2018 Outback, the infotainment system began having problems. It would repeatedly turn off and on during my daily commute. A week later, the entire head unit shut down and would not restart and the backup camera would not come on. Contacted the dealer who said it needed a software update, so scheduled an appointment with service department for the same week. The day before I was scheduled to take the car in, the car would not start. Nothing on the car worked. I had it towed into the dealership through roadside assistance. They performed the software update and installed a new battery. Three days later, and the head unit is repeatedly turning off and on again. Apparently, the software update was not effective. Very unhappy with this vehicle.

Beware the Squirrely Screen!!

GFE, 08/13/2018
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very, very happy with this purchase. Handles like a dream, gets a dependable 33 MPG on the highway, fantastic visibility and road feel. The ONE thing that disappoints me is the "screen" in the dashboard -- the nerve center of the vehicle. We had it less than a month when, one day, the screen went blank. No back-up camera, no "home" screen, no radio...nothing. Just. Went. Blank. It came back later in the day, but that was not much consolation...know that the screen could crap out at any moment. It has worked fine ever since. BUT...the Android Auto app is also a bit janky -- and doesn't work reliably. Disconnects from the USB-connected phone, or sometimes doesn't want to connect at all. When it works, it's great. But when it's being difficult, it's infuriating.

Electronic nightmare!

Barbara J., 11/19/2018
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2018 Outback's multi-media system went to black 7 months after I bought the car - no GPS, Bluetooth, radio, CD, phone functions. I was also having a problem with my brakes seizing on my driveway because apparently the safety sensors thought there was an obstacle (but there wasn't.) When I went into the service department, I was informed that they couldn't repair the multi-media system because it wasn't a Subaru part and they had no parts for the electronic system. Three weeks later, they have no definite date as to when this problem can be repaired. The service manager told me that there were 3 other customers waiting to have this multi-media system replaced. The service agent informed me that the braking problem was simply "because your car thinks there is an obstacle." I was so disgusted, I asked Subaru to buy back my car but was informed that this was not an option. I have never owned a Subaru until recently - I wish I never bought one!!

The Right Choice Update II

Kit Harma, 12/13/2017
2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 20,000 miles and 21 months of ownership here is my update: Same over all satisfaction with the comfort and fuel efficiency but getting a little bit annoyed with the buggy electronics. We have had the rear hatch position sensor replaced, the head unit and fuel remaining software updated and just last week the amplifier was replaced as per Subaru Service Bulletin 15-235-18R. We have made two round trips from Washington to Arizona taking four days to cover each leg comfortably and getting 32 mpg. We haven't found the limit on how much stuff can be transported in this vehicle. The clearcoat finish scratches very easily.

12345...38