Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

Used Impreza for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Fantastic all around car for anyone

Jay, 01/08/2016
Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 13 years and put 270,000 and counting miles on it. The car has held up to everything I throw at it and never left me stranded. It has even held up to numerous exhaust, engine and suspension modifications I have thrown at it during my weekend tinkering since the warranty expired at 50k in early '05. It currently produces about 195hp and 190ft-lb of torque, but it has been higher during past setups. Currently riding on STI suspension for the winter (AGX struts and springs in storage from the summer) Subaru accessories are great, I have the cargo box, the crossbars and the bike rack. With bike rack, there is no noticeable change in noise or drag, minimal changes with the cargo box. I elected to replace the trans at 200k because the syncronizers were failing (I highly suspect it was due to increased power from my mods). People will also tell you about the head gaskets failing, however this isn't as big a deal as it seems. I pull the spark plug boots every once in a while and if I see oil on them I replace the head gaskets for a whopping $20 and an hour of my time every 75-100k. Tires can last 60k or more, just be sure to rotate and cross-rotate them because the stock rear camber is slightly negative so they do wear if you don't rotate. Front brake discs and pads might need more frequent replacement since there is only minimal braking effort from the rear drums, however the original rear drums lasted until 250k. All this service has been performed by me and I can tell you from experience this is one of the easiest cars to work on. Things I have done with this car: -Gone out in virtually every snowstorm to hit in Northern Maryland and never gotten stuck. It even pulled a colleague's pickup when it was stuck in a snow drift. All of that with All-season tires. (I like Continental Pro-Contact, but have used Kumhos a few times when funds were low with good results.) -Driven to Florida and Colorado multiple times (from Maryland) -Some moderate off-roading (with stock suspension) -Hauled 1000lbs of wood in the back and on the roof multiple times. -Towed a loaded U-Haul trailer -Gotten 27+ mpg on the highway (new, stock rating was 25)

Greatest car ever built

solly, 02/22/2009

I've owned over 25 cars, American muscle through Porsches to Ferraris. I am a car nut. I have used this '02 WRX daily since purchase, (that's about 7 years now), and will never give it up until it is just no longer feasible to repair. The WRX has been so reliable and trouble free that I am amazed it was only $22K back in '02. It is almost as quick as any non-turbo Porsche (I had the dealer upgrades installed, bigger turbo and cooler, exhaust and short shift kit all for $6K), seats 4, has a huge trunk with fold down arm rest for my skis. Holds the road amazingly well and acceleration is brutal. Seats are the best I ever had. Great road feel. Goes through snow like butter.

This car just saved my sons life and his 3 friends

Hope Haas, 08/22/2016
WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am writing this while sitting in York hospital as my son sits in the ICU. He was a backseat passenger. They are all teenagers and took his friends car , the Subaru, because it handles best and is the most fun....i fact I have learned to be very very grateful for!. Ad teens, rain and a sharp turn , his friend made the mistake of hitting his breaks going into the turn, causing hydroplaning. A suv was coming around the turn , they hit head on/drivers side. All kids had seat belts on. I was called to the scene thinking my son was dead. I got there to see this car crumpled up.but at the inside the car looked fine. The driver came out with only scratches , the passenger, not even a scratch. My son who caught the force of the seatbelt from the high impact, came out with a torn spleen, broken ribs all from the seatbelt. I can explain how bad this wreck was. No one can believe everyone got out and had not even busted faces from airbags..now they all had seatbelt bruising but as a mom. I am so very very very greatful for this car because it saved not only my sons life but all the other kids. Even the surgeon couldn't believe how everyone was unharmed. So yes we spoke of this car over and over at the er, trama and ICU. Thank you for making a car strong enough to hold up to an straight on collision and also keeping them safe inside. Hope Haas

This car just doesn't quit

Aspen White Bugeye, 10/14/2009

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

First of many

128OBS, 07/25/2006

What initially interested me in Subaru was the reputation for handling and safety. My first test drive sold me and now I don’t want to drive anything else. The flat 4 engine and the all wheel drive make it a unique vehicle. I especially appreciate how it handles in the rain. I have not experienced any problems. All I have done is regular maintenance. I plan to keep this car. I may buy a second Subaru, but I’m keeping this one.

Awesome Little Wagon

BostonLegal, 06/08/2008

I purchased this car because I wanted AWD and a decent amount of carrying capacity while still being small enough to parallel park easily. The TS wagon fit the bill perfectly. As a CA native unaccustomed to the unique demands of winter driving in upstate NY, my Subaru has done a fantastic job of hugging the iciest roads. Curiously, my friends' SUVs often get irretrievably snowed into their parking spots, but my wagon can always get past the snowiest mounds. Reliability is excellent even on long roadtrips - I've driven her from NY to CA and back to MA. I have had no expenses beyond regular maintenance in my 7 years of ownership. After this car, I am absolutely sold on Subarus.

Rally Sport Special

Michael Wenzel, 03/13/2016
WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was always fun to drive. Handles like a race car very quick and zippy. It's been problem free even after 14 years it's still very reliable. It's 4WD is great in snow and mud.

Bugeye still going strong after 16 years

Scott, 09/13/2017
WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in Oct. 2001. Still going strong with the original clutch and engine. Just took it in for a servicing and compression was 150 across the board. A year ago upgraded to a VF 48 turbo, blue injectors and a bigger fuel pump. Wow! The car is a rocket and merging on the highway is a blast. That truck in the right lane who thinks he'll cut me off is in for a surprise. With an Accessport the sky is really the limit with this gorgeous car. Next step may be doing a flex fuel setup with even bigger injectors/fuel pump. The thing you need to remember with this car is that the stock tune is garbage and often leads to check engine lights. Get an aftermarket tune from a good tuner and you can eliminate these bugs and increase your enjoyment of the car exponentially. A GOOD air/oil separator is also advisable to keep oil out of the intake. I also replaced the stock stereo with a 7 inch flat screen headunit and with Android Auto I have full navigation and bluetooth. Installation was so easy even someone like me could do it. Only knocks on the car: the trunk leaks annoyingly and I can't seem to figure out why. Also Subaru paint is poor but you knew that. All in all it's been a pleasure to drive, I've had this car for 1/3 of my life and I really see no reason to dump it.

Safe. Utility. Bold. AWD. Reliable. Ubuy

Blur125, 07/31/2008

Subarus are awesome vehicles. And while this is the entry level vehicle, it's got the heart and soul of a Subaru! This has a rally inspired boxer 2.5l engine that gets 22-26 mpg (actual, depending on how nice you are to 'er). That's with AWD!! You can't beat having AWD if you like to shred mountains, ride trails, surf breaks, or relax while camping. While this particular model doesn't have a nice trim package nor nice interior, it has the basics you'd need while driving. And a manual is the way to go if you drive highway a lot. Wagons are a bonus for more storage space. I used it to travel back and forth between college with my entire room loaded in it. Nice fold down seats.

OK car, not great but good

JTP, 06/20/2009

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

very good car for the money

awduser, 10/28/2013

My son bought it used with 170,000 km in 2007 and I got it from him with about 210,000 km. This month it turned 300,000 km. Engine and transmission all original but have small oil leak, probably from valve cover gasket. Had trouble with A/C compressor - replaced this summer (after 11 years of service). Had to overhaul front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, again after 11 years. Shock absorbers started leaking last year - I think 10 years is as good as it gets for driving through Canadian winters. And so apart from some rust (se reference to Canadian winters above), the vehicle looks and driving qualities are the same when we got it, and I even suspect it drives like new.

The most amazing thing on wheels.

luxcar101, 03/01/2002

I think that God is a rally fan, and if he is he drifts around cloud 9 in this AWD excitment I call my car. Mustangs, Camaro's, A4's, GTi's, etc., etc. all are scared of this car and rightfully so! The AWD system on this car has to be the most amazing part of this vehicle. The only thing I can say is that I feel VERY SAFE in this car. Overall, what this car lacks in refinement it makes up for in brut force and speed.

Solid car, with quirks

Goatmount, 09/06/2009

I have put 150,000 miles on car with no major problems. Changed timing belt at 90,000, as all Subarus are required, which is about a $400 job. The engine is solid and will probably run to 200,000 with very few issues. Great in snow and cold. One of the most fun small cars to drive out there. There are some quirks to the 2002 model. The driver side seat belt squeaks every time you move even an inch. I have talked with other 2002 impreza owners and this appears to be a common problem. Replacing fog lights is $200 per light! The wheels get thrown out of alignment after driving through deep snow. As with all AWD cars, all the tires have to be replaced at the same time. Auto windows both broke.

Never Buying Subaru AGAIN

Brian, 03/19/2006

For the first three years car was great. Then at 60,000 miles the head gasket went. For the next 9 months in and out the shop for over heating problems. Then Subaru gave me a new engine block. Now at 90,000 miles transmission problems; needs 1st 2nd third and reverse gears replaced. $2300. In a manual. I never driven it hard -- I wanted it to last, but as you can see it's a piece of junk. I bought the car brand for their reputation. Once I get the car back I am selling it and buying a Toyota, Nissan or Mazda.

I will never buy another Subaru

DeeDido, 11/22/2009

With 75,000 miles on it the head gasket had to be replaced. At 85,000 the power steering gear box. There is no trunk light. There is no lumbar support in the seats. My back is killing me. The visors did not have enough range to block the sun. It rattled constantly. The ride was extremely bumpy all the time. The engine noise was very loud. The stereo was terrible. Cruise control was not even an option. Stupid cup holder mounted on the dash board above the stereo.

lemon

rmo, 04/26/2005

Redid the motor (cylinder slap), rear suspension, along with O2 sensor and to top it off the radio craps out. Wheel wells easily pack with snow and the tires go out of balance with a little dust.

Reliable

sbohan, 03/15/2011

I bought my wrx in July of 2004 while I was attending community college in Pennsylvania. I chose the wrx because of the power and the awd. I chose the wagon because it cut my insurance in half (I was a 19 year old male buying a turbo charged car). I have driven the car as a daily driver ever since. I later attended Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana which lead to some 500 mile trips back and forth to Pennsylvaina. I now have close to 140,000 miles on the car. Aside from tires and brakes, I have replaced the clutch at 900$ including labor and almost all of the ac components at 1400$ including labor. 7 years and 140,000 miles with ony 2300$ in repairs is pretty good in my book.

2 head gaskets at 20k

dsomeda, 04/23/2014

At 2 yrs old developed small oil drops leaks 20k miles. At 3yrs started to drip coolant on driveway and oil drops. Dealer would not cover this fix because Subaru claimed only the Forester has bad gaskets but they asked me for my VIN any way. They gave me a bottle of head gasket sealer for 2$ and told me they were going to charge me $3500 for new gasket replacement. The very fact that the dealer even stocked(sealant) and basically gave it to me indicated that they have a widespread problem. It did not work. Used Bars Stop Leak instead. 2014 75k add coolant twice a week and code (Knock) triggered prob due to worn bearings from water in oil.

Imprezas Rule

ryanphar, 04/10/2002

Don't bother looking at any other cars by far this car is the best on the market

Sports car for the masses

NeoWRXfan, 04/12/2002

this is my first subaru, before then I had an M3 and a corvette. After reading all the reviews It truly is a driver's car: fast, agile and sporty. And what a deal I got since I got it at $100 over dealer's invoice! With it, I got and short throw shifter, turbo gauge and spoiler. The only thing I got extra was the best radar detector I could get since I knew from the first week I'd be breaking the speed limit frequently. Everyone was right about the build quality unfortunately, since from the first day, the driver's side window squeeked, there was a rattle in the driver's side door but small potatoes compared to what you're getting for such a cheap price.

KenG, 04/16/2002

I've had this car since June 2001 and it's been a blask every day. Only minor downfalls (as you probably already know) are the turbo lag at low RPM's, and a not-so-luxurious interior. But, it's comfortable, I've had no problems, and it's the most fun car I've had the pleasure of driving. For the price it's the best you can get.

kp13, 04/18/2002

Brisk Accelaration. Great Handling. Thats all I wanted.

Shouldn't you own one to review it?

ironcow, 04/19/2002

Seems like there a lot of test drive reviews here, not owner reviews. Great balance of practically and fun (erroring on the fun side). Exactly, what I hoped. I just hope it's reliable in long run.

great car

lagwagon, 04/20/2002

GREAT CAR GO BUY ONE

Cool car

BebeDeimos, 04/22/2002

The car is excellent. Lots of room for a tall person and good design for off road without compromizing anything for on-road use. The car has plenty of acceleration, however the A/C tends to bog down the engine a bit. I have installed an aftermarket stereo with Infinity speakers, an Infinity subwoofer and a Blaupunkt amp. My advice is to skip the stereo upgrades and install an aftermarket yourself. The basic Clarion is not very good and even the upgraded speakers suck. The optional subwoofer is not very good, but it is small (which is why it is not very good).

Kev's 2002 Outback Sport

Superkev, 05/07/2002

I traded in my 1998 Subaru Forester S for a new Outback Sport. I was impressed by the improvements made to the engine, particularly with regards to noise and smoothness. The car seems eager to go at any time, and responds happily to even a light touch on the accelerator. The steering is nicely weighted and communicates excellent road feel. The brakes are easy to modulate, allowing you to stop on a dime. I was slightly disappointed by the lack of interior storage spaces, especially compared to the Forester, which had plethora of pockets and compartments in which to store gas receipts, maps, CDs, magazines, etc. But this is a minor quibble. Good job Subaru!

fun with headaches

subypd, 03/14/2009

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

The beauty of AWD

Hogan Jr., 05/23/2002

I've had my Outback for over a year and love it. 30000 miles without a hitch. Good power, decent room, and AWD for security. A black and silver Outback sport looks so much better than any WRX I've seen. If you're considering the protege5, Matrix, or Jetta wagons, you better check out this car. It beats all those AND has the AWD as a bonus.

Trust me!!

THE TRUSTY ONE, 05/29/2002

This is the most reliable veicle ever! its got every thing you need to drive fast and safetly (if your a good driver) it will be the drive of your life.

WRX is best

CB54321, 06/24/2002

Unbelievable handling. Complaints about turbo lag are crazy, as once the turbos kick in the car takes off. Have left many Mustangs, Camaros, Eclipses, etc. eating my dust since purchasing 6 months ago.

Super vehicle

Robin, 07/28/2010

I love this little wagon. I bought it new and it has been so much fun to drive. I'm tall and it has a lot of headroom. It's fast and comfortable and a blast to drive. It's been extremely reliable until recently when at 92,000 miles I've had to replace the transmission and the air conditioner compressor. It has Recaro seats which are very comfortable and it has some engine adjustments by Cobb Tuning which drop the 0-60 time into the 4s. It will run with a Porsche at a third of the price. My son has a 2005 and he is 6'5" and he fits in it comfortably. I like my WRX much better than my wife's 2009 Lexus IS 350 which I have to fold myself up like a pretzel to get into.

in the shop

mdski, 02/01/2002

I have had this car less than one year and it has been in the shop for more than 15 days. Subaru does not seem to have the ability to manufacture a quality performance vehicle. The inside is third rate also.

WRX Lite

toolatecrew, 09/18/2002

My Wife wanted the Outback and I wanted the WRX lead us to compromise on the RS. Other cars may generage more Gs on the skid pad but thow the bumps in and the supple suspension, stiff body and 4wd traction makes you faster around corners in the real world.Engine is tourqiest in class by far. The seats are the best feature of the interior.. The stereo is horrible and there is no excuse for it in a car at this price level.Exterior styling is "different" I like the WRX fender flares but the lack of std. fog lights is once again kinda cheap. Overall the car is great for somone who needs to drive in snow and on less than perfect roads.

Disappointed

Looking Elsewhere, 01/17/2003

Is anyone else having problems with the crappy CD player in this thing? And I've even gottn it replaced under warranty and it still skips or won't even play my CDs. Besides that, the Check Engine light keeps coming on even though I've been reassured that "nothing is wrong".

My Review

omar777, 08/21/2006

Overall a good car. Bought it used and so far have not had any major problems with it. Parts and labor are a little expensive. Not too much visibility from the driver's seat when backing up. Seats not very comfortable.

The not- so-great car

Lilmizme87, 06/16/2004

I bought this car used, maybe that was the first mistake. The second week I had it, something was wrong with the transimission. Two months later something was wrong with the engine. A month later, the same problem came back because the dealership didn't fix it the first time. Now, the transmission needs to be fix, again. I take very good care of this car, yet it falls apart easily. I don't race it (cause I'd lose) and I don't floor it every time I drive. It should not be falling apart so much. I would not recommend this car considering you'll be looking for alternative transportation since it'll be in the shop every other week.

I love this car

nmp, 08/08/2005

I’ve had my Suby for nearly three years now, and I love it more and more all the time. It’s been awesome for me -- a small, sporty woman. It’s a perfect size -- not too big, but large enough to handle multiple pairs of skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, and friends. I’ve had a couple problems -- front brakes had issues after 18k, but the dealership replaced the rotors under warranty free of charge. Clock also quit -- also replaced under warranty.

suits MY style of driving

Dean Homan, 03/20/2006

I own 2 Subarus. My #1 concern was RELIABILITY. I have 139,645 miles on this vehicle and not once has it left me stranded. I umpire college softball so it is important that I be there ON TIME. My Subaru operates the way I do, aggressive, no let up, always there on time. I love to drive this car ... especially during inclement weather. I have kept track of EVERY penny associated with the ownership of this vehicle. We are currently operating at just under 26 cents per mile.

Nice, functional little car

xraymike11, 04/16/2006

My wife and I bought this car new, and we've been satisfied with the purchase. We perform routine maintenance, and the car has been quite reliable. After two spinout accidents on black ice, the car still feels extremely solid. I would recommend upgrading to winter tires. The manual transmissions takes some getting used to, but is a pleasure to drive once you master it. The engine isn't necessarily quick, but is adequate for normal driving. Inside, the front seats are comfortable and have great lateral support. Controls are logical and easy to reach. Back seats have enough room to fit adults. We average 26 mpg in normal driving. Maintains great resale value.

Love it!

Ion, 08/29/2006

This has been my daily driver since new. I change the oil with Mobil 1 and the car behaves like new, even with 54,000 miles. I still have the same brakes and just changed the tires. I drive 55 miles/day and many of those miles are on twisty roads with tight corners (Sunset Blvd. in L.A.). The car corners and accelerates beautifully. I highly recommend it as an economical (average 25.5 mpg) fun car to drive.

Great Wagon!

jsrwcase, 07/07/2003

I have had this wagon for over a year with no issues, other then thin metal and easily scatched paint. The 2.5L engine is great in the city and is very smooth on the highway. Not as fast as a WRX, but for the $ I would say you cannot find a better deal!

Neil, 01/04/2019
Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Keep in mind that my ratings are based on a car that is now 17 years old. Many, if not all, of the safety, entertainment, navigation and convenience features that are available on new Subarus were not available on 2002 Subarus. I purchased the car for the size, all-wheel-drive, and manual transmission and consider it to be a small sport-wagon with corresponding cargo capacity. I have not been disappointed. I have two cars. The Subaru was originally my daily driver when I was working. Now that I'm retired it has become my secondary driver. Major repairs include the clutch at 84K miles, the slave cylinder at 102K miles, and leaks in the A/C system at 109K miles. I will definitely look to Subaru when I'm ready to replace this car.

Fun 2nd Car

kotpet, 03/01/2002

Fun 2nd car. Not for every day. There's a considerable turbo lag, but not an issue if you keep revs above 4000. Some understear. Side mirrors too small. Also, I recommend to change to better tires.

This 2002 Subaru was a LEMON

Golem, 03/05/2003

Problems from the start. Poor paint quality (orange peel and easily scratches), inadequate electrical system which couldn't keep battery charged if a few electrical loads were on, consistently hesitated at 2,000 RPM. Dealership was fantastic but Subaru head office resisted doing anything. In the end, received a refund. Now driving a 2003 model which drives well but paint is still poor quality, Windshield wiper blades freeze, inadequate heating system, poor design of rear window washer spray head, steering wheel not aligned parallel when driving straight.

Not happy with Subarus

D, 06/25/2017
2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had never owned a Subaru before, and found that all repairs are at least twice what they were in my previous Toyotas and Mazda. I am on a tight budget, and so could not afford some repairs when needed, which left me without a vehicle with 3 children to transport. I ended up taking the bus many times due to the poor condition of this vehicle and the skyrocketing cost of repairs.

What an Upgrade

Les, 05/25/2005

i just bought a used 2002 WRX wagon. WHAT A RIDE! got a sweet deal on it. At first I was considering the Mazda3 but I was big on performance. What an upgrade compared to my slow 1994 Honda accord. My commute is so much fun now! Driving in the rain is not a problem with the AWD...so far so good. Filling my tank up with premium gas will hit the wallet hard, but the good outweighs the bad.

Toss your $$ on a fire b4 buying this!!!

Hugdeath, 05/15/2003

Bottom of driver's seat 2 narrow. Lost "9K" in value in 14 months. Worse than a large american SUV. 2 much buffeting with front windows down. Flimsy/poorly sized cupholders. Cheap paint. Svc dept placed me in "LEGACY STATION WAGON" for a week and a half while they kept vehicle over multiple nights for 4th time. Fun 2 drive at moderate speeds. No fun at low speed. Too sketchy at high speeds.

Piece of junk

WRXbaby, 03/08/2002

Even though the car has a lot of power, I don't feel the car is responsive enough. The seat a uncomfortable, when you drive long distance you want to stop the car and get out for a stretch. I really don't like the turbo, but I bought the car because it's fast at the starting point. No max speed, I found the car to be like any other car I've driven before, like the celica.

This car isn't worth the money

wrx_driver2002, 03/02/2002

I've been driving this car for a couple months now and have had nothing but trouble with it. The build quality is terrible, and the car feels like it is going to fall apart any day now. I've had it in the shop several times in the two plus months that I've owned it. Stay away from this car!

The style/under-steering is a Boo

Arrowhead, 04/09/2002

I know under-steering is a common AWD problem. But not THIS much!!! At 5,500 rpm and 35mph, it can't corner like any others even with BS S-03. You'd beat a RSX type-R or Celica on open road, but you'd never pass any in a race at cornering. This IS a Rally car, and sucks on the road. I turned it into a show car and loan it to people at autoshows. Finally, here is a catch. CHICKS HATE THIS CAR in both my personal experience and consumer research. I spent over $8,000 on make-overs included JDM HID headlights, carbon-fiber hood, and Zero- Sports bodykit/Wing, and women still don't buy it. So if you would like to pick up some hot chicks at night clubs. Give this one up!

12345...7