Used 2012 Scion iQ Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Scion iQ Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic - (24 reviews )

Great little car
By Rob

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

Be prepared for others to make fun of you if you’re 6’4” and 250. Plenty roomy for one person to get back and forth to work. Also good for taking the dogs to the beach, but that is a short drive.

Baby speedster
By Amazingrace83

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

Excellent for travel for 2 adults. Comfortable and roomy. I travel with my pitbull and my husband. Once this little baby hits the freeway it's free sailing. Not a super charged take off like a V6, but has some surprising get up and go if you need to hit the freeway quickly, climbs average for what you'd expect, but flying over 80 is a breeze! Maneuvering in between the larger vehicles and getting through traffic is easy. Made it to Laughlin from Surprise AZ and back on $12. Don't be fooled, this little car is great if you're not looking for all the bells and whistles. I would describe it as a roll cage with airbags. Never failed me yet. Cons: NO spare tire, only a patch kit!? Which is why I purchased Run Flat tires. Allows me up to 50 miles to the nearest place with a nail in my tire . . . unless I get a blow out from the side. Worth every penny. When the price of gas keeps going up and down, it cost me a max of $14 to fill up! Con: Of course its going to have a small gas tank, but with the size of the car it is expected. Built lightweight, you feel the road a little more when driving this car, and the steering is touchy, but easy to get used to. Very happy with this car and passing smog inspection was effortless! Took my 8 year old grandson to Disneyland in this car, with my husband.

2012 IQ will need $5K in engine work
By Randy Johnson

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

All 2012 Scion IQ up to 2013 JTNJJXB0#DJ025093 were built with defective pistons. Unless a seller can prove they have had this work done, be prepared to spend $5K to have the piston replaced. See service bulletin S-SB-0032-13. Toyota may make a "good will" gesture of $1900 toward this repair. All of these cars should have been recalled. There's about 11,500 2012 - 2013 IQs involved. Outrageously dishonest of Toyota.

I tried to apply the $1900 "good will" gesture toward purchasing the parts (I am capable of installing them myself) but Toyota would not agree. Even Toyota's mechanic thought they should have recalled the 11,500 cars in question and tried to help me get the repairs paid for by Toyota. Finally, I had Toyota replace the pistons. Toyota did pay the $1900. I paid the remaining $2000+. The car was using a quart of oil every 400 miles just before the repairs were made. Replacing the pistons corrected the problem. However, shortly thereafter the catalytic converter failed (plugged up from the high oil consumption). I bought the catalytic converter and replaced that myself for about $400. It would have been $1000 if I let Toyota do it. All these parts (pistons, catalytic converter, etc) are proprietary. You can only buy them from Toyota. You are at their mercy.

Now, 30,000 miles later, the car is running strong and getting 35 - 37 MPG. I still like the car. Three months after the Toyota repair a Toyota representative called me up and gave me a verbal spanking for not paying the entire amount and waiting for Toyota to reimburse me the $1900. The Service Department had agreed to the way we handled it. I told the woman I would NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA new or used and that I am having a good time spreading the word on their terrible customer policies. I had a sign shop make a professional sign for the back window stating "Beware of 1,000's of Toyotas with Defective Pistons, Google it." I drive 100 miles a day in the Dallas, Metroplex. 1000's of people have seen that sign and dozens have asked me about it. I have all the paperwork and a nice picture of the car with the sign in front of their new headquarters building. You can see the picture on my FaceBook page. I guess after building that lavish new headquarters they can't stand the cost of standing behind their cars. You should Google Toyota defective pistons and see what comes up. It wasn't confined to just the Scion IQs. There are many, many more Toyota models with the problem.

Review update 08-15-18: Car is running fine. Now at 171,000 miles, uses no oil. I still like the car but I will never buy another new or used Toyota because of the way I was treated. Five months after it was fixed a representative called me. They were not happy that the service manager allowed me to only pay the difference between the engine work cost and the $1900 "good will" gesture at the time the work was done. This made it easier for me to not come up with another $1900 and then have to wait to be reimbursed. I was shocked and it just reminded me how much I disliked how I was treated. I spent $75 and had a sign shop make a nice full rear widow sign that said "Beware of Toyotas with Defective Pistons." You can see it on my FaceBook page setting in front of the new Dallas Toyota Headquarters. I drive 100 miles a day through Dallas everyday. I know thousands of people saw that sign and it makes me feel much better. Screw 'um!

Smart vs Iq
By Bob Moon

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I have had 3 Smarts before, I like small cars. I was motivated to buy an IQ because of the japanese techchnology. Havinga Smart is like having a Mercedes dressed as a Smart. Expensive repairs, it is a good car but when you come to service all you haved saved in gasoline goes down the drain. When I tested the IQ I could not beleived I was on a such a small car. The ride is far better than Smart cars. The confort, suspension, and better yet the IQ has 4 seats. Where I live in Puerto Rico a Smart will cost aroumd $20,000 and so the IQ. (With taxes, and all hidden costs). I know I dont have a racing car, so I dont expect a fast one. It moves ok in stereets and in expressways, good ac and music. I am really pleased with my car. I sold my motorcycle to be on a safer ride. I am a Mustang 6cyl driver and I like to use my IQ a lot do to economy and parking space. I really recommend this one.

Awesome car ---- I've owned it for a year now
By MtnRoad

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I was in the market for one of these since the day I saw a dark purple one in a parking lot one day. I never knew the car existed. I had been overseas for a almost a decade and fell in love with these micro cars. They are pretty common in Japan where I have spent some time. There's a big following for micro cars there. The iQ does exactly what it's supposed to do. For starters, it has something like 12 airbags including the first rear one behind the rear passengers, and the safety rating is among the highest. It will seat four in a pinch, five actually if you're left with no choice and don't mind hearing the back seaters laugh and complain the whole time. Recommended seating is really 3+1 (the one being a small child if the drivers seat is set into a comfortable position). The front dash is cantilever with no glove box (they put the glove box under the front passenger seat) so the front passenger can slide up further if there's a third passenger. Front leg room is still good and safe with plenty of room for a passenger in back. The front seat slid back to a comfortable position kind of prevents a full size passenger behind...but it does have four seats and that's 2x more than the Smart Car. PERFORMANCE: I have zero complaints. This car wants to go 80-85 down the freeway if I'm not careful, and still has plenty of power. It really wants to go. I haven't done it, but I think this car would easily break 100+ mph. In stop and go traffic this car is peppy and will give you no trouble getting to speed. The CVT automatic transmission is awesome. It does have a more powerful gear but I rarely have used that. The engine is a 1.3L and is probably too big in my honest opinion. 99 percent of the time I drive alone and without cargo so they could have just given the US market the same 1.0L they use in Europe. That 1.0L gets 60mpg!!! If sold in the US market, a 1.0L. It would have made this the most popular car in the country. But, since thew MSRP was only around $16,000 I think they knew it would have killed sales for the Corolla and Prius which is 2x that price. HANDLING: The iQ has traction control, and really quiet electronic power steering. The tires are wide so you don't tossed around on uneven roads CARGO: The split rear seats fold down individually. There is quite a bit of room, but be advised there is no room behind those seats when they're up. There is a hidden compartment back there to hide a small items. I drive my car with both back seats down. The floor space in the cargo area will hold a grocery cart full of groceries in one layer. You could easuly fit two or three carts full but they'd be stacked. I have put medium sized boxes back there. Large boxes have to go in the front passenger seat. There's plenty of room for a large box but you can't get it through the hatchback door. Headroom and front seating is comfortable. I have never sat in back but it doesn't look too bad back there. Excellent visibility all around out the windows. There are two cup holders in back, one in the middle front, and one in each door. ACCESSORIES: The AC is quiet and blows cold. Heat works just a good. My stereo is the base model so I don't have navigation. It works great, sounds awesome, and the hands free controls on the steering wheel are nice. Even the base model stereo has the hands free option for cell phones. The mic is up near the speedo. The window motors are fast and strong. power mirrors are nice. Only one airplane style overhead omni-directional interior lamp. There are accessory, MP3, and USB outlets. EXTERIOR: Paint is good. I live in Arizona and the sun beats cars up here but the paint is holding up well (I have the silver color). The car has an aggressive look in the front with the swept back headlights. PROS: This car is fun to drive, peppy, and has no trouble going up the freeway ramp. A lot of people love it. If you're worried about how you'll look driving this, be advised this is not a Smart Car or some other lame looking micro car. This car is pretty stout looking. Toyota Service Dept is honest and fair, no probs w/ my Platinum Warranty. CONS: Rarely do I get the advertised 37mpg. I log my miles and calculate at fill ups and I average about 35. I try to watch my speed and I don't race around either. Recent trip to San Diego at normal speed was the same. That is disappointing. Tire size is expensive ($150 ea). No spare tire. Stay alert because lazy drivers that only use mirrors to change lanes might not see you. I've had a few ppl change lanes into me and almost cause a crash. I use a dash cam everywhere I go.