2018 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Tested a Colorado then went straight to Nissan!
By Ross

2018 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 13 years and 331,523 miles I decided it was finally time to replace my 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. Honestly, if they still made Dakotas I would have bought another one in a heartbeat. But they don't so.... Based upon price alone and reports of troublesome transmission/engine issues I immediately eliminated the Toyota Tacoma from consideration. I have always thought the Frontiers look very nice, even if the design is a bit stale and in need of an update. I also have driven several Frontiers as rentals while traveling for work. However, I really thought the new Colorado looked very sharp and wanted to start there. Unfortunately, I got stuck with a new salesperson who knew less about the truck than I did. On a short test drive I eliminated the Colorado quickly due to the complete lack of response or any spirit in the V6 engine (similar to most Chevys nowadays). We ran right down the street to the Nissan dealership where we purchased my wife's Rogue a year earlier and started driving and looking at Frontiers. It didn't take long to start talking $$. We utilized TrueCar and the dealership matched the price of $25,770 before trade & down payment. The truck I purchased was an Crew Cab SV V6 w/ Value Package and Powered Moonroof. So far, the engine is great, very responsive, and the transmission is smooth. The spray-in bedliner, bed extender, and track & rail system really add to the functionality (I immediately added a TonnoPro vinyl over aluminum folding bed cover). For normal commute I average 18 - 19 mpg and on a Labor Day trip to Gatlinburg got over 22 mpg with the whole family of 4 in the truck and A/C running the whole time. No complaints about the mileage; I will happily trade a couple miles per gallon for a good engine & transmission. All of the comments about the dash, etc... being dated and plastic are true, but I knew that going in. Only negative comments I have is that the steering while true necessitates constant attention (don't let your had off the wheel) and I do not like the auto-dimming rear view mirror (I finally figured out how to turn it off). If I had to do it over again, I would definitely still go with the Frontier but might give more consideration to the Desert Runner package. I rejected it out of the gate simply because I didn't like the gaudy sticker, but now when I see them I really like the wheels they have on them, and the upholstery is nicer than the SV too. The Frontier gets lower marks than the competition in several professional reviews due to having lower towing capacity, but we are talking about just a couple of hundred pounds. The Frontier is still rated for a very respectable 6700 lbs towing and 1500 payload! Do you really need more than that in a MIDSIZE truck?!?! By comparison, my 2005 Dakota had a Magnum V8 and was only rated to tow 4600 pounds, but even that was always enough.

what i want for what i am willing to pay
By Jeremy Goins

2018 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up a 2015 sv crew cab 4.0 auto about 3 months ago with 46k for $16.8k. I bought the truck from a kia dealership as is and have had bad experiences buying as is trucks so I added a 3 yr 36k for close to 2 grand. After the dealer got there cut i ended up paying around 21. Minus 2 k in cash i financed around 19 for a truck with proven reliability and dependability and under 50 k. I researched the vehicle online and the only consistent problem I found was the 4.0 likes to jump time around 100k. I feel like knowing this and addressing it around 90 k it should be fine, I am not worried. The price of new trucks now a days is stupid. I refuse to pay over 25k for something i am going to beat on sometimes. It has the comforts i need bluetooth, cruise control, room for my kids car seats and a small bed for random stuff with adjustable tie downs. My sister, my son(5) and myself all took a 9 hour trip to eljay, georgia north of atlanta and it rode great. If I want great gas mileage in a vehicle I will not buy a truck. I do a lot of interstate driving about 375 mi a week and this truck is great. I was driving a leased kia soul ( my wife's previous car it is a long story it is what made the most financial sense don't judge) the ride is about the same to me. It is pretty early on right now so anything could happen. But after talking with 3 or 4 frontier owners before purchasing this I am confident with proper maintanence that it will last me another 200k

Meh
By Dennis C.

2018 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to spend a little more and get the Tacoma. Overall, I think I made a wise choice. Everything about the Frontier just felt average at best. Plus, Tacomas hold their value much better.

2018 SV V6 Midnight Edition
By Jim D

2018 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to move to a midsize pickup so that I could put it in the garage with my wife's large SUV (Tahoe). I compared the Frontier, Tacoma, and Colorado and decided on the Frontier. I love the look of the Midnight Edition. I went with the granite exterior and the black lettering and wheels are really sharp. Plenty of room in the front for me and adequate room in the back for passengers. I really like the track system in the bed with the movable cleats to secure cargo. The 4.0 liter V6 provides plenty of power and torque. I would like better mileage, but it is really not much less than the competition. I also like that the engine and transmission have been around for a while and have had relatively few problems. This promises to be a reliable truck. It would be nice to have a better sound system and more interaction with mobile devices, but that is definitely not a deal breaker for me. Oh, and I was able to get this truck new for less than $26k and at 0.9% financing. Tacoma and Colorado could not touch the price and did not look nearly as nice. I would definitely recommend this vehicle.

DEBATABLE VALUE
By ART BOWEN

2018 Nissan Frontier SL 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

1. Extremly skittish on rd. Do not takes eyes off the road 1 second or will wander. Crazy idiot light (secure light) flashes on dash every few seconds with ignition off, key removed or not, doors unlocked or locked, windows up or down. What does the (secure light) signify? Nobody knows. If lock pu in the garage, pu doors automatically lock after a period of time so can not leave keys in ignition. Can barely hear alarm buzzer when head lights left on , key in ignition wih door open. Dealer says non fixable. Mickey mouse design.