Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great vehicle
By bobincinti

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since the beginning. Currently it has about 210,000 miles on it and it it no longer my daily driver. I primarily use it for yard work, mulch, etc. I have had some problems with the vehicle but that had to do with a wreck and not a manufacturer issue. When I did have a problem (this year had a rear axle problem), the dealer and Nissan worked with me to fix it at no cost to me and even provided a me a loaner vehicle for over a month. Overall the vehicle has been a good truck. Every vehicle will have issues (supercharger) and I have owned practically every brand out there. This is one brand that I would do again.

transmission from h____
By kaki johnson

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is on a 2007 model. Site will not let me change the 2001 mistake. If you want a hole in your head and wallet, buy this vehicle. Nissan has known about these leaks into the transmission, and for most people, the problems do not normally start until over 90,000 miles, and then there is no help from the dealer/company. These CEO's should be sent to prison for knowing refusing to call a recall, and settlement in 2012 suit is a joke for most consumers. Shame on Nissan. I will never buy a Nissan ever again.

Been an outstanding truck
By Dg

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

First off I don't write reviews, but i thought I would make an exception. I bought my 2001 ad crew cab used in 2003 with about 30k on the clock. I have it a 3 inch lift and a few other mods, fast forward to 2015 and I still have the truck, 190k now and it still gets compliments and it still runs great. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere, in fact I still use it to go on road trips across multiple states some times towing a travel trailer, it has held up well. I thought I would write this review because I've seen people say "I'll never buy a Nissan again" "my toyota never had problems" and that may be true, however I also have a 1990 hardbody that I bought used in 97 and it now is approaching the 300k Mark and other than 2 clutches and a timing chain, it's still running great, and i also have two very good friends who both have toyotas, both with 22re and both didn't make it very far past 145k before a rebuild was in order, now I'm not digging toyota, I believe they make good vehicles, and quite honestly ,that's what I originally wanted to buy, but I am far happier with my nissans. They have been super reliable, you will usually see the reviews of people who think they have been wronged somehow, and things do happen, but I have owned 4 kids and and they are very reliable. Love my frontier, it's been my daily driver for 12 years,and just now the leather seat is starting to wear out, supercharger is still original. It does not leak or burn anything, the gas mileage would be my only complaint. I average 15mpg but I also have larger tires...can't say enough good things about the truck

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned
By amd6577

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2001 Frontier XE brand new in fall 2000.
It has never been our primary vehicle, but has been driven almost daily since we've had it, and has made its fair share of several-hour trips.
I cannot adequately describe how reliable and drama-free this truck has been.
Our plan is to keep it forever!

* Sits a little higher than most base-model pickups * The only thing that has stopped working after almost 14 years of ownership is the disc reader inside the radio. * Value-- wow. So many dependable vehicle years for such a terrific price. * Nissan's customer service is significantly better than some other brands we've experienced.

* The headliner is not built to last. It is made of that knit plush felty material. Trucks like this needs a vinyl headliner or even just a pure plastic panel. *The gas mileage is so-so for a 4-cylinder ride, but the truck's lack of mechanical tantrums will save you money.

True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE.
This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks.
I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it.
It now has 116K, and is barely broken in.
When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires.
I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery.
I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place.
It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills)

I highly recommend this truck!

Reliability and gas mileage. I average 21, mixed city and highway, and 27 highway. I've never seen below 20 mpg. It is surprisingly comfortable with the bucket seats. The A/C/Heat works very well.

Honestly, for this year of truck, none. The newer style Frontiers are larger and I wish they still made the smaller ones like this, which is why I chose it.