Used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Great safe ride
By Greg brown

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

That there is maintenance to be expected. We had it 13 years and it always was reliable and dependable.

248,000 miles of dependability!
By Deborah

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Mountaineer and it currently has 248,000 miles on it. We have only done standard maintenance repairs on it- oil changes at 4000 miles, brakes, and one alternator. Other than that it has always kept us safe, kept driving us home and I never worried on long trips about it. I knew it would keep us all safe. We have driven to Florida, Niagara Falls, Ely, MN, SC and many other trips. It has held many strollers and car seats with plenty of room. I love the back window hatch open you cant find that any more. They all have the whole door that opens now. Now that it is so old the problems we have had are the hydraulics on the hatch and back door stick. the AWD have locked a little now and the drive train is going. I am so sad to say good bye to my mountaineer! anyone thinking of buying one please do you will so happy and will get your money's work many times over. This vehicle has been paid for many years!

Most reliable car I've ever owned.
By Elaine Stone

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Mountaineer used in 2008. I paid way below book value, due mainly to the fact that it's somewhat of a gas hog and everyone was shopping for fuel efficiency at the time. It now has 190,000 miles on it. Just had new tires put on, new wheel bearings, and replaced a worn control arm. I have had zero mechanical or electronic issues. We did replace the back hatch panel at about 100,000 miles which I hear is common for those to crack. One hinge on the back glass hatch was replaced at the same time. I hit a 10 point buck in January of this year that garnered me a new hood, driver side headlight and fender, grill and front bumper. The Mountaineer took the hit, and I was able to drive it home! There was still way more value in the car than the repairs cost. I have the 3rd row seats and there is a ton of room for hauling kids, adults, and cargo when all of the back seats are folded down. The leather interior has held up well; driver's seat is starting to crack a little. The exterior is still nice except for a rust bubble forming over the passenger back tire and some rust on the interior back doors(?). The electronic "perks" are limited due to technology not being available at the time of production, but what's on it still works. I love this car and dread the day that I have to trade. I'm sad that there are no more being produced, but since the Ford Explorer is virtually the same vehicle, I'll probably go to that when I turn this car over to my teenage son.

Miserable SUV
By dencal26

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went at 51K. Bearings, Rotors warped, Calipers froze.
Now the rear makes noise and at 91K I need a transfer case because it leaks and makes steering difficult.
Never again will I buy a Ford.

Honesty. One can search the web and find thousands of Explorer and Mountaineer owners with the same transmission issues. But no recall?

LoveD this car
By seltz9

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

My parents bought this car brand new and gave it to me. They had no problems every, except that back hatch crack that is common, i get it and everything is wrong at 76,000. rain out of gas on I-80 recently because all of a sudden my gas gage doesnt work. my ABS light is always on and my cruise never works. my ac and heat do not work. back riper flew off, tranny is apparently going out, loud metal clinking, stereo bass and treble dont work, speaker goes in and out, leather had been cracked since day 1. i love this car cause i know what it was like brand new and have kept us safe but i offically hate it too

suv, awd, interior with the silver is nice

too many