2020 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

$25,190

Save as much as $3,690
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

More car for the money!!

Tyler, 01/06/2021
Grand Touring Reserve 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded my 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring (loaded with all packages) for a 2020 Grand Touring Reserve. I was perfectly happy with my 2015, but the spike in trade values and available incentives were too hard to refuse once I drove the turbo engine. I was expecting to experience some lag since it is not a twin turbo, but the dynamic pressure achieved by the exhaust header and 3 butterfly design is both mechanically simple and performs fantastically! Mazda engines are not a commodity component, and really impressive engineering feats. High torque at low RPM is a great engine power improvement, and was the first factor in choosing this model. Coming from a 2015, the quiet interior in the 2020 was immediately impressive, and was on par with Audi and BMW in my opinion for a much better value. Comfort and safety features are great, as well in this trim with heads up display, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise, and the list goes on. Incredibly comfortable and visceral to drive at the same time. I regularly compare to my SO's BMW X1, and don't find the CX-5 lacking except in the infotainment/navigation deparment. A few complaints: no panoramic roof option (if that matters to you), the key is ridiculously large and clumsy with buttons on the side (I've found my lift gate accidentally open on many occasions), and the infotainment is lacking but passable (fixed on the 2021). Of these, the key is the only real issue for me. Being built in Japan, the engine block is coated for ocean transit (cosmoline?) and smells like burning oil for the first 500 miles or so until it burns off. Harmless, but alarming if you don't know what it is. I'm averaging 24mpg, down from 25 on the non-turbo 2015 GT. With the 2015, I experienced no issues other than preventative factory recall repairs for the fuel filler bolt and lift gate struts, and am finding modern Mazda in the Toyota/Honda reliability I used to seek. Several competitors deliver better fuel economy and cargo space, but nowhere near the performance. This is a great choice for a mostly practical daily driver that is truly enjoyable and fun to drive.

Loved it. Bought it

Liz, 01/19/2021
Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First thing was how smooth the ride, the comfortable leather seats. Next was how much fun to drive and lastly the stylish look.

Fantastic car

ST, 01/30/2021
Signature 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had a Subaru Outback 2019 top of the line. Great car, but zero fun factor. Traded it for CX 5 signature. Could definitely tell that Mazda is more premium built and finish even though Subaru was great. Mazda is drivers car. Simple layout, sporty feel and blast to drive. If you go easy on a gas pedal can get very respectable gas mileage. By the way Mazda took first place on reliability taken over Toyota and Lexus. Best price and value car.

Ad
Build Your CX-5
At a Glance:
  • 6 Colors
  • 7 Trims
  • $25,370starting MSRP

Great ride and greet look

MichaelJP, 02/12/2021
Grand Touring Reserve 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We were attracted to the Mazda CX 5 because of the reliability rating and owner’s satisfaction notes on Comsumer Reports. After purchasing, we like the stable and quiet ride, all the safety features, and interior design.

Not a viable winter option!

HRA, 03/01/2021
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was thrilled with the purchase of this vehicle in July 2020. The summer and fall drive was fantastic, not a complaint to be had. The SUV is sharp to look at inside and out, loaded with great options, and it handled very very well; an overall great competitor for other vehicles in it's class. Then winter in Manitoba came. Whenever the temperature dropped below -23 celsius I found the following issues (every time): the front window motors weren't strong enough to drive the windows until the car was 'very' warm, the front doors had to be slammed shut 5-7x to ensure they closed, the suspension/steering is extremely stiff as well. When confronting the dealership I was informed the items could not be fixed as "we live in Canada". I stated I've lived in Canada all my life; I never had these issues with all of the Honda's I have owned prior to this vehicle. Mazda lubricated the door hinges and sent me on my way. Even with lubrication the issue continues. I need a safe vehicle so this CX-5 will be traded in sooner than later and I'll be going back to a trusty Honda CRV. So if you are someone looking at this car who lives in a cold climate, where you don't have a heated garage; you might want to rethink a CX-5 purchase.