Used 2002 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews

Used SC 430 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...23

Pros
Cons

Favorite car I've owned!

Jim, 06/18/2019
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned MANY cars in the last 30 years, most I bought new. This is the oldest used car I've ever owned by a long stretch. I lusted after this car when it first came out, but there was no way I could afford $65,000 in 2002. I found this low mileage VERY well kept used 2002 in now 2019 and I LOVE it. I grade cars on what they are meant to be and do not compare them to things they are not. This is a luxury, sporty 2 seater (for all practical purposes) convertible. I think it's a beautiful design and has stood the test of time. Reviewers calling it "ugly" is silly to me. Everything is subjective, you can say you THINK it's "ugly" or "beautiful" but saying that it IS something is only your opinion and not an objective review. I read tons of reviews from real owners before I bought this car and hands down the votes are in, owners LOVE it and I'm one of them. The ride is smooth and the seats are beyond comfortable, there is so much noise dampening material in this car and it's design that with the top up you would never know it's also a convertible. That being said it's still amazing with the top down. The 300 HP make it dreamy to drive and the V8 is whisper quiet. It doesn't handle or accelerate like some SPORTS cars its often compared to, but again, apples and oranges. In 2002 technology was not the same as 2019 so dinging the car for not having bluetooth etc. is ridiculous. I replaced the stereo with a Sony apple car play receiver (doesn't even have CD or DVD, who uses those anymore anyway?) for under $300 and it sounds AMAZING using the Mark Levison speakers and amp!!! In a couple of years this car will be considered an auto classic and I'm guessing demand and prices will go way up. You can have Lexus reliability and engineering in a high end luxury convertible for around $14K-$17K, It's a win win in my book!

A GENTLEMAN'S LUXURY RIDE

Larry, 07/26/2019
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Not a sports car as some originally thought. It got bad reviews by those who thought it was. To the contrary, it is a quality, comfortable cruiser. Everything is designed for smooth, quite running. Its modest V-8 is so well done, that you hardly know it's running. One of only 2 cars to have a hard top that folds into the trunk when it was introduced. Its Mark Levinson sound system is one of the best available. It still sounds great after 17 years (door mid-range speaks did need replacing after being stored outside in the Florida heat for 10 years). Never had a single maintenance issue other than routine maintenance with this sweet car. Update as of 1/29/2020: Car still running great with no repairs necessary. Had body painted after being parked outside in direct Florida sun for over 15 years. Paint on sides was still in good shape, but paint on hood, top, and trunk showed fading and lines which the painter told me was normal with the Florida sun. Outside rear view mirrors are spotty from the sun eating off the coating and the rubber door edges at the bottom of the side windows are eaten away a little at the ends, but other than that there is no sign of deterioration. I still love this little gem and it is fun to put the top down into the trunk and buzz the beaches. She's not for sale as I intend to keep her until either her or my wheels fall off.

2002 Lexus SC430

4NBellinghamWA, 12/09/2019
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my eye on an SC430 for over a decade. I pulled the trigger. No regrets. Very nice car. Very much a Sport Coup... not a sports car. Think touring. And that is what I desired. I'm interested in comfort, reliability, ride, sound attenuation on tour...not hare-pin curves. Very satisfied.

What a find

Kurt, 04/16/2020
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I had owned 2 SC400s (loved them) and decided I wanted to try a convertible/hardtop so the natural progression was an SC430. I searched for almost a year for the color combo and low mileage I wanted. Found a 2002 silver over ecru leather in No Carolina in fantastic condition. with full service documentation and only 20,400 miles. Bought for about $19K in 2017, best auto purchase money I ever spent. Have driven for 3 years now and at 58K miles the car just purrs along, solid with top up or down. It is not a "sports car" but for an utterly reliable sport tourer for 2 people and a little luggage it can't be beat and is utterly reliable. No one can believe my car is 18 years old.

222,500 and Still turning heads...

Ryan C., 10/08/2020
2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2002 since Aug of that year and it still drives better than BMWs 10 years newer and many of the rental cars (2019s and 2020s) I've driven while traveling. Bottom line is that this car was engineered to perfection as a touring sports convertible. The windows still roll down and up with Zero problem and the engine still is as quiet as the day I bought it. I've done the timing belt twice (3rd one coming soon) and the starter once. That is It. Original everything and to this past weekend, people still take 2nd looks at this car. It is destined to become a classic car and my only wish is that I had lower miles to keep its value but Ive had many a great seasons with this car and glad today to say that it's one of now 2 weekend cars we own. It won't go over 3000 miles a year until whenever it decides it doesn't want to run anymore. That could be a Very long time. 2002, Twilight Amethyst on black interior with 2007 updated wheels. If you don't own one, get one and get one soon. The values are already taking a turn for the UP.

12345...23