Used 2018 Lexus RX 450h Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RX 450h for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best Family SUV for the Money

Emre Afsar, 08/09/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an enthusiast and shopped for months for a larger family SUV. In terms of comfort, space, and fuel economy there is nothing in the market that comes close to the RX 450h. It feels solid and substantial behind the wheel. Effortless steering and acceleration, great visibility thanks to the A pillar and side mirror design. Whisper quiet at any speed and the hybrid powertrain works seamlessly. Definitely go with the upgraded 12.3 inch infotainment system as it has better input method with the joystick (as oppose to the wheel controller on the base system) and the definition of the screen is very high. Averaging 32 MPG on our first tank so far with the AC on all the time. Speaking of which it is the best AC system I have experienced in any car. Works in conjunction with the heated/ventilated seats and cools the cabin incredibly fast and works super quiet. No negatives or complaints so far, an excellent luxury mid-size SUV. Highly recommended!

My second Lexus

JS, 03/20/2019
F SPORT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I’ve had my RX450h F Sport for about 8 months now and have driven it for 8,500 miles. My lease was up on my 2015 IS 350 F Sport and I loved the color combo (Atomic Silver with Rioja Red) so I decided to go with the same combination on the RX. I’m also leasing this vehicle as I’ve never had a hybrid nor have I had any vehicles with a CVT. My original thoughts on the RX were that it’s a reliable, sleek Lexus that is affordable (compared to competition) and has a low cost of ownership. When originally test driving the RX Hybrid, I loved how smooth and quiet it was. My sister has a 2017 RX350, and I’ve had two of these as loaners. If you’re shopping for an RX, definitely consider both the 350 and the 450h. For 2018, Lexus reduced the price of the Hybrid. When comparing a fully loaded 350 vs. 450h, it was roughly $1k more for the hybrid. My RX has every option — 12 inch navigation package, Mark Levinson sound, parking assist, 360 camera, tribeam headlights, panoramic roof, tow prep package, etc. Pros - Lexus reliability and customer service - Smooth and quiet ride - F Sport adds a little more fun around corners - Red interior is gorgeous - Plethora of safety features - More than enough acceleration power for typical drivers (coming from someone who prefers small, sporty cars — I think the RX is plenty powerful) - Tribeam headlights are fantastic and the package comes with headlight washers, cornering lights, and self-leveling height - Extremely helpful 360 camera is a must-have (my favorite feature) Cons - Driver’s side exterior mirror shakes. The dealer replaced the entire mirror (swapped with a vehicle on their lot) but it still shakes. It’s not a one-off situation either — I’ve noticed the same in two loaner RXs (hybrid and regular) - F Sport seats have heavier side bolsters, which show wrinkles quite a bit - F Sport (and regular) seats show creases on the seat bottom pretty easily Overall, I highly recommend this generation RX! You really can’t go wrong, even with the few gripes I have.

You won’t regret of getting it

Eric, 07/06/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Smooth and quiet even when you accelerate! Transition is great and great fuel saving! Have been considering GLC or GLE and was hoping for better handling at corner but I gave up in the end. Comfort for passengers (front and rear) was one of my very decisive metrics to go for RX 450h. I upgraded it to premium, with better interior, audio and larger wheel. It is worth it even I pay more than my original budget. I can’t say about reliability as I only own it for 4 months.

Happy with my decision

paul, 07/30/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

comfortable, quiet ride - luxurious. Controls are annoying - mouse. Voice activation a big help. Needs quieter tires. Will replace originals with Michelin. Mileage lower in winter/cold 28.

Great ride but disappointing

G Anderson, 02/10/2019
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok here's the update (01/6/2021) - 30K miles. A big disappoint (for a Lexus) as I've had it in for recalls, sunroof issues, wiper issue, Driver's side inside door handle broke, and other minor interior issues. Tires lasted only 20K (others have the same complaint on User Forum - and yes I rotate them). Not great in the snow. On top of that, the infotainment system acts irradicably (No sound out of the radio when it's extremely cold - have to restart the car) and no upgrade available to Apple Car Play. Tough to defrost the front windshield. Can't really haul anything that sticks out the back. Ice or snow on the sensors causes havoc and the car to beep at you and beep at you and beep at you (you get the idea). Would be helpful if they squared off the back from a cargo perspective. Do my own service and everything is easy to get to and the brakes aren't even 1/2 worn. Gas Mileage is averaging 25 MPG. Lowered to a 3. Won't buy this again. ---> end of update What I like: Ride, Interior materials, Comfort, MPG, space, and very quiet. What I don't like: Infotainment, Sound system is just OK. Terrible in cold weather (doesn't heat up, wipers freeze, front defroster takes too long), controls not exactly intuitive (i.e. how do I turn off the sensors for the car wash?).

smart cruise breaking

Sang, 09/25/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had owned this vesicle during a couple of months. Two weeks ago I totaled it by accident. I was using smart cruise to the home at freeway. A car suddenly changed the lane to my lane, therefore my front car could't stop and hit the car. I expected full stop of my lexus but failed to make stop before crush. I was really surprised because the smart cruise maintained enough distance from the front car according to my driving experience with honda pilot (which is bigger non-luxury SUV). After accident (I regret this!!!), I researched that even Lexus RX 350 have bad stopping distance than other luxury cars. Now I know that Lexus RX 450h is much heavier (300-500 pounds) than RX 350. I am suspicious that RX 450h /RX 350 may have different break systems. Good luck with the owners of Lexus RX 450h.

A disappointment, especially for the price

Auto Buyer in KC, 11/24/2020
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Quality, recalls, and cargo space are issues. I've had the car for two+ years and leased the vehicle. I'm glad I did because I won't be purchasing this SUV after the lease is up. Probably my last Lexus I'll look at. I made the decision despite the ugly front grill. This is my first Lexus and all I've heard about is the quality. Well something is definitely wrong. Some of my Cons: 1) Crappy tires that last only 20K 2) Sunroof issues the first week I had it 3) Windshield Wiper holder broke (plastic crap - ice broke it when turning on the wiper) 4) Driver side door latch broke - Are you kidding me? Only way to get out of the car was to roll the window down and open from the outside, roll the window back up, and then turn the car off. You try that in a pouring rain storm! 5) 2+ Services for recalls (One for Car wash issues) 6) Buggy software - ex. when opening the door while turning off the car it beeps at you 7) Cargo space is limited so when you have something sticking out the back (2x4) the car constantly beeps at you (I haven't figured out if you can turn it off) 8) MPG is nowhere near what they say it is. Probably average about 25.6. 9) Seats are OK but get a bit painful after 4+ hours (Not like my Volvo) 10) Heads up Display is OK but could provide more information/ Unable to see when wearing sunglasses. 11) Navigation is terrible, especially voice control. 12) CVT Transmission is worthless - Whiney and sounds like a rubberband. 13) Boring to drive 14) No Apple Car Play or Android Auto - Really not even an upgrade? Pros: 1) Very quiet 2) Lots of tech 3) Mark Levinson sound system is good but my wife's Acura and my old Volvo blows this away. 4) Great safety features 5) Great display and back up camera 6) Very comfy Acura includes 4 years of maintenance and Lexus include 1 oil change....The lexus is 15K more. Concerned about the reliability of this vehicle so I'll be looking for a replacement come summer.

A Rewarding Vehicle to Own

E. Garner, 02/03/2021
F SPORT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving my RX450h F Sport for nearly three years now and I have virtually no complaints. The ride is smooth though not necessarily luxurious. This model, with it's Adaptive Variable Suspension, handles the road surprisingly well. You wouldn't think so considering that this is a nearly 5,000 lb. vehicle with a driver at the helm. The F Sport Engine Sound enhancer can be a bit loud, but when the engine cuts off there's total silence; at first I forgot to realize that the vehicle was running. Lexus, unlike Toyota, provides only one year complimentary maintenance. So. learn how to change your own oil (every 5,000 miles/6 months), you'll save almost $100. While I'm on the subject of saving money, change you Engine Air Filter and your Cabin Air filter as well. There, that's a savings of $400 savings unless you like going to the Dealer every six months. I swap my All-season tires and Winter Tires every November and April, so there's no need to shell out $145 to rotate your tires. Everything works well, as I expected. There have been no recalls on my vehicle, only two minor Service Campaigns. I'm a retiree, so I'm never going to put 100,000 miles on this vehicle; I currently have less than 13,000. However, I opted for GEICO's 7yr/100,000 mi., Mechanical Breakdown insurance option. I value reliability over Frills and Thrills, I've owned vehicles like that over my 48 car-buying career. You don't necessarily have to purchase or lease a new one as long as you can find a low mileage 2017 or 2018 driven by a senior citizen in the suburbs. Oh, I forgot to mention, the mileage isn't too bad either; 27 mph combined. Check and change your oil and filters regularly and you'll be a happy camper for years to come. I wouldn't service my vehicle anywhere else but a Lexus Dealer. Still, keep in mind, second only to Veterinarians 70% of all mechanics exhibit some form of deceit. So, before your Service advisor completes the sentence "While we were checking...", stop them right there. Get to know your RX, learn how it drives, check for any unusual odors, and ask a mechanic you trust about any possible abnormalities regarding your vehicle. Because, this is a Luxury SUV, and repairing problems that you simply overlooked or put off WILL cost you a pretty penny when you walk out of the Service Center. Toyotas/Lexus vehicles are know for their reliability, I've owned an invincible Camry, and unbeatable Avalon Limited, and now an incomparable RX450h F Sport. I will never look at another woman, sorry...vehicle in this lifetime.

No power and too many problems

Jackie Y, 01/21/2019
F SPORT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is like driving a civic when it comes to power. There may only be 4 cylinders. At least that is the way it performs. Had issues the first weekend when the emission filter failed. They said the service guy over filled the gas tank. I don’t believe it. Now in rain it keeps beeping and telling me to clean the sensors. The car is clean. Their software can’t handle rain. Navigation is horrible. Menus aren’t much better. And a software recall already. Looking forward to not having this car.

51050