Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

11 years with a Hybrid
By John M

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My experience with this luxury Hybrid SUV may vary from your expectations. I purchased this car in a nearly new condition with less than 100 miles on the odo. It's backstory is too involved to repeat here. I've owned a number of SUV's over time and this vehicle is indeed a very indulgent selection. Ride, Road Noise and the like just vanish when inside the cabin. This year's 2006 Tech does not compare with what is available today but the Bluetooth hands free phone link and DVD navigation are a huge plus for any busy commuter or road warrior. My only real con's are the voice recognition is terrible as it can not recognize anything outside of the pre-programmed script input. End guidance is proper but stop navigation will get you nothing. Also the Hybrid returns a minimal improvement in overall gas mileage although it does provide a great boost in acceleration in the road. I did find the hybrid "boost" causes the car to lurch forward and pulls to the side... not good in some situations. My model has a rear DVD player with 2 wireless headphones to keep little one's busy, a nice touch that I rarely used. The leather interior is a bit less durable than I like and it shows when using the cargo space for large loads and the leather can cut easily.

28 MPG combined on a recent road trip
By Truman

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unlike some critics of the hybrid RX, I am getting excellent mpg without driving like a grandma. A recent 300-mile road trip to the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve averaged 28 mpg on the mountainous roads of the Angeles National Forest. My normal everyday driving has never seen below 26mpg combined, and during open highway cruising I average 31mpg -- that's amazing for a heavy crossover! The key is -- regular maintenance, tire pressure 34-36psi, keep to 60-65mph on the highway and 40-42 on the streets. A very comfortable road trip car! I like the RX because it sits higher than most crossovers and lower than SUVs, you still step *up* onto your seat like a SUV but it's must more fuel-efficient. While it doesn't get the 50mpg of my old Prius, it's much more comfortable and feels safer due to the higher seating position. Gas prices in CA are going up again so I am very happy with my purchase. Besides mpg, the electric hybrid motor makes car accelerate like a V8 and feels much faster than regular RX. The only con is lots of body roll in cornering due to the heavy battery, so tread gingerly in the twisties!

225,000 Miles and no issues
By RD

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Okay, so the car looks a bit boring, but well over 200,000 miles without a single maintenance issue. This car just keeps going and going. Keeping my fingers crossed on the hybrid battery, but no signs of any issues.

Never again
By Unhappylexusowner

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had many luxury vehicles, and this one by far has needed the most repairs, and had the wierdest, most difficult to diagnose problems of them all. My mercedes never had an issue, and routine maintenance was a pleasure with loaner car service. My grand cherokees have been somewhat maintenance prone, but dead on schedule and ultra-reliable. This thing? I'm afraid to drive it anywhere. There's a shudder in the front end that nobody seems to be able to fix, even after replacing brakes all around including calipers and rotors, cv axles, struts, bushings, and wheel bearings... the mileage is absolutely horrible, 23 at best. The gps is akward and outdated, and updates are definitely not worth the cost. There is no way to add an auxiliary input for audio from any other source, the back seat passengers can modify your gps entries from the rear seat entertainment system and you cannot stop them from doing so because you can't make that system stay off if they turn it back on. The car has horrible body roll in corners, worse than any other vehicle I've driven in 40 years of driving. The button and control layout of vital things like defrost and cruise control are all unintuitive ly placed or are a reach to get to, forcing you to take your eyes off the road. I drive about 100k miles a year and this has been the worst. I'll never buy another lexus.

Our RX