Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Any older Lexus may be tempting, but don't do it..
By Kevin

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Bought my 1999 RX300 for peanuts and thought it was a killer deal. Low miles, dealer serviced. But save yourself the headache and just don't do it. Yes these are technically "Toyotas", but the newest RX300s are now over 14 years old. They are a PITA to work on. Mine just went into limp mode due to bad knock sensors, and I just spent $685 for that. Parts were only $185, but it took ten hours of labor to change them. Drove it home, and when I parked it, it started idling at 2k rpm. Back to the shop it went! I've now been without my Lexus for two weeks. Fuel economy on my AWD model is terrible and it has very little power. It's comfortable and safe, but expect to spend ALOT on repairs.

18 years
By Fran Prestia

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

This was my dream car. I owned her for 18 years with little or no problems. Loved the car, loved the color drove to Florida to upper Wisconsin to North Carolina and everyday driving. she is still great.

The RX-300 is a beast!
By roverfanatic7

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

Have the 1999 Lexus RX-300 AWD with 260,000 miles running strong. The reliability and safety are ahead of its time! Maintenance is cheaper than any other luxury brand. The car took a massive hit from an escalade, but held up strong and protected us. Don't be fooled, the RX is a good 4 X 4. Held up through the tough winters in NC! Comfortable and will continue to buy Lexus/Toyota. Wouldn't be surprised if this car made it to 400,000 miles. Mechanic expects it to at least drive for a 100,000 more.

Exterior design

Good older SUV
By krw5

1999 Lexus RX 300 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this with 167k on it as a "winter beater" three years ago, never thinking that with that many miles it would be as great a vehicle as it is.
The only thing that's ever gone wrong is that the ignition coils needed to be replaced.
Still gets 20-25mpg, passes California smog with flying colors, looks pretty good for a 14 year old Lexus.

It did have the advantage of being a one owner vehicle serviced exclusively by a Lexus dealer (it even has a Lexus brand battery).
I change fluids religiously and expect it to go another 100k.

Heated front seats, automatic headlights, funky six-disc changer, leather, lots of toys that you'd never use (auto-dimming mirrors come to mind).

Sound system controls.

Lexus saved our lives!!
By lexusluver

Owned a 1999 Lexus Rx 300 for five years. Three weeks ago
my husband and I was hit from behind by a full sized pick up while sitting at a stop light,then pushed into another SUV
in front of us. The police report said that the driver of the pick up never even noticed us and never slowed down and hit us doing 45mph. Although we received back/neck injuries, we feel that because we were driving our Lexus, it saved our lives. A police officer and a fireman both called our Lexus a "little tank" and told me that we were lucky to be driving
it. we were
told it could have more serious. We are definitely purchasing
another Lexus as soon as we settle with insurance co. Miss our Lexy!

safety first and foremost as I stated in my review. Love the stereo. Love how it is a SUV but drives like a car. Like sitting higher and the visibility. have taken it on very long road trips several times and it is very comfortable to drive and sit in for long periods of time. Love just about everything about it. Not bad mpg for a SUV. Again. feel it is one of the safest vehicles on the road. husband is 6'4 and has plenty of head/leg room. Also, son is 6'4 and has plenty of leg room in the back seat. Love this SUV!!

turning radius is too wide and don't like where the CD department is which is located in the glove box.