Used 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (80 reviews )

Before you buy, how handy are you?
By Adam

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I've been reading a lot of the poor ratings, and I get that you've had bad experiences with the Discovery 2. They can be fussy, but for very specific reasons. Let me explain, and perhaps this will help prospective buyers.

Land Rover Disovery Series II is a one of a kind car. You just can't find cars that do what they do anymore. We looked at purchasing new SUV's, and you'd end up spending 80K vs 4K for a disco to find a car capable of what the disco is. IMHO, they were bough for soccer moms in the late 90's and early 2000's. They are not japanese cars. They need attention. They need a lot of attention. It's when you ignore things that sound wrong, or don't pay attention to rattles or leaks that they go do hell.

Rather than paying a car note of 600 bucks a month to a bank, we decided to pay a good mechanic a third of that to keep our Disco alive and safe and have some gas money. It works out. Assume to pay 3-4K per year in upkeep. That's just used car 101. Don't subscribe to "It's a land rover thing" when stuff breaks. All used cars break if not attended too. Rubber deteriorates, parts go bad, you just need to have a budget for it.

Common issues with the Disco:

1: ABS - It's a well documented issue and you can fix it for 5 bucks and a half an hour, if you know what you're doing assuming all sensors are ok. The ABS module has a short, which can be fixed or bypassed with some knowledge. You can find all the info on land rover forums.

2: A/C Parts can go bad, but the main thing is that the fuse box can get corrosion, and there's on bad solder point. again, some knowledge and you can get this fixed in 1/2 an hour for 10 bucks. Simple stuff, and well documented.

3: leaks - The head gasket is the big one. It goes bad. Most have been replaced by 2015. I just had mine done a second time. I don't think the original replacement was done right, but we drive ours everywhere, so who knows. Rubber goes bad. Most of the seals should be replaced within 15 years anyway. Again, not a japanese car.

Land rovers are technically somewhat complex in that the have many computers and sensors to manage everything. But, electrical issues are fairly easy to diagnose with a multimeter. You have to have some knowhow or interest in learning. Those electrical issues are the expensive ones because you typically have to go to the dealer to get a good reading, and they will overcharge. If you can learn the layout, you'll save thousands over time.

Here's the thing... now, cars are completely controlled by even more complex computers. You're always going to have this hurdle unless you're driving a car from the 70's/80s.

MOST IMPORTANT THING : If you're handy, it's fun because it's simple enough that you can fix these cars yourself with some time and interest. If you just want a car to go from point a to point b . .. you should get a Hyundai.

Steer Clear of this Vehicle
By martin303

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, this purchase was the worst decision of my life. Bought this car for ecological work and needed towing capacity. After 3 years, I have never used this vehicle for it's intended purpose. Before I drove it home the first time the water pump went out. The second time the drive shaft fell off. Apparently, this is 'common' on LR. Everything has unusual engineering making repairs both extensive and extremely expensive. Tires are even outrageous. Though I validated this vehicle had a newer engine in it, virtually everything else has fallen apart. HORRIBLE mileage. Only put about 10K miles on it due to issues. Drove my Ford Explorer about 40K / yr for work...

Looks good = seat warmers, passed emissions, great in snow if tires ok, won't rust because it's always in the shop.

Reliability, everything mechanical

A Matter of Perspective
By tannert

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Our 2000 Discovery was purchased used from a man who did not take good car of it, and was not truthful of it's previous life, so it's been rough going.

Nice easy to clean leather with comfortable seats. The second row is nice. You can carry adults, but not fitting for long car rides. and their knees will be rubbing a little bit. The third row can seat children.

If you're looking for a secondhand SUV that makes you feel like a million bucks, this is it. Range Rovers are too plush for these model years. The Discovery kept it rugged. An amazing driving position and many creature comforts with heated front seats, dual zone climate control, two sunroofs.

Better engine design. Bosch rebuilt a solid Buick V8, and fussed it up a bit. Currently the engine is ripped apart in the midst of a head gasket repair, and impromptu engine gasket overhaul. Will end up costing around $400 in parts, but no labor as I'm doing it myself. Get yourself a good metric socket set and read, read, read the repair manuals. MORE POWER! Seriously lacking in acceleration, this vehicle weighs way too much. Maybe an aftermarket supercharger?

Here's Hopeing
By qwackhead

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I've actually got one of these and have done so quite recently as I had traded a car which were surplus to my needs plus cash for something more practable as well as to tow my boat in future one I have finished on some current out of water maintanace
The nievaty of such of deal to begin with was one that included approximately a 1500 km round road trip just to aquire as I live in New Zealand and drove from Auckland to Wellington and Back and done so with in 24hrs
Being a V8 in comparision to the V6 Diamante© sedan I had traded the previously anticipated gas mileage were up there unlike the performance of the engine itself which we're an embarresment to say the least to be even called such

Updated Review

Amazingly I still have this Vehicle
Only because I hardly ever drive maybe to get weekly groceries now and then and of course just tow boat locally to boat ramp about five minutes away

It's just too much of a pig on gas to use as an everyday wagon as I much prefer to either drive my light diesel truck or even better still motorbike

It's a great tower how ever and one time used to pull out a tree stump which in comparison to my brothers Mitsi RVR Awd trying beforehand and not even making a dent were an effortless task

But then again were to be kind of expected but surprisingly as I were to find not with such ease

But other than that can't really give a fair review as I hardly ever use other wise as I only really bought this vehicle to begin with for one intended purpose and were mainly for towing my boat for which I am satisfied even if it is only a five minute drive

Like nothing else, blows asian and domestic cars away
By mwahlgren7

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

People will claim that the discovery was the worst car ever because a light came on the dashboard, or that brakes had to be replaced. Many of the things that could go wrong with a discovery have to do with the driver's negligence or driving style. I have taken care of my disco and she has taken care of me. Driving position and view like no other vehicle, fantastic in the snow, and looks good to boot. Dual sunroofs still entertain me to this day and the sound system is really nice. Aside from a plastic t piece in the cooling system braking, nothing has gone wrong. Feels utterly solid when driving, very heavy and reassuring. Makes my dad's tacoma feel like a dishwasher.

-Exterior -Ride -Visibility -Quality

Would've been great to see a diesel