Used 2009 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Spectra for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Better than I had hoped

nolarobert, 06/17/2015
SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Spectra SX new in July of 2009. It was priced to move since the brand new 2010 Forte was hitting the market. If I could have afforded to spend more I would have likely gone with the Honda Fit. Imagine my surprise 8 years later that my Spectra is still going strong with no major issues. It has proven to be an enjoyable car that is darned reliable.

Life Saver

DrAwkward, 07/07/2009

This car saved my life, along with three passengers, when a drunk driver crossed into our lane. Its responsive handling allowed us to avoid a head-on collision, and the side-airbags minimized the seriousness of our injuries. Everyone in the accident thanked me for choosing this car after putting its safety to the test.

Good highway car

dexter, 04/12/2009

Purchased this car to drive to school (260 miles round trip) four days a week. It gets 36-38 mpg and rides surprisingly well. Good build quality especially for the price. Never owned a kia before but if the quality of this car is indicative for the rest of their line I see an Amanti in my very near future.

Impressed with Kia

Felt32, 02/07/2010

I wanted a fuel efficient, inexpensive vehicle, with all of the up to date features (such as cruise control, CD, aux outlet) and I got all of that in this Kia. My only regret is that I had waited until the end of the year to get the Kia Forte!!

Love the car

puppywhipsers, 05/04/2012

I bought my Spectra 8 months ago with barely over 8,000 miles on it, I bought it because of the manual transmission and so far I love the car. The only trouble I have experienced is the cruise control won't always set, it goes to the dealership on Monday. Contrary to other reviews I get excellent mileage on my KIA. I commute 55 miles one way to work, I have gotten anywhere from 30-38 mpg depending on my driving habits (if you know what I am saying ;)). My in town mpg is even better, I regularly get 40+ mpg and have had as high as 52mpg in town. I recalculated 3x because I couldn't believe it! It's a great car and with the sunroof & factory rear spoiler and on it, it looks sporty too!

A Step Up

Derail, 10/31/2008

My previous car was an 03 Focus. The Spectra is much more zippy in acceleration, yet has the same size engine as the Focus. And fuel economy is 20 percent better. I like how spacious the engine compartment is, in terms of accessibility to hoses, belts, battery, etcetera. These items are easy to see and inspect. And replacement, when necessary, should not be difficult. What I miss about the Focus is the softer seats. The Kia seats are are quite rigid. What I have a concern about is the cable actuated gas cap door. Cables and plastic latches fail in cold climates. I may have to improvise a better system to insure I can refuel in the winter.

First new car ever, Spectra EX

Trevor Totman, 06/10/2010

I haven't had my Spectra for very long, but so far it has been the best car I've owned. It's quite zippy for a grocery getter,even with it being an automatic transmission. Stereo system(hey, I'm 24, this is important stuff!) is great. I love that I've got an auxillary jack and I love the hidden charger in the middle console. It helps keep wires out of the way, and you can set your MP3 player or iPod/iPhone inside to keep it from sliding all over the car. The DOHC is a nice touch, but I wish the fuel economy could be a hair better. All in all, a nice roomy car that is incredibly affordable and great for the post college kid or the starting family.

Totaled after one accident

chintanshah, 04/06/2011

This car was pretty great for when I had it. I bought it used last year. There were no major issues and it was an overall awesome car. Unfortunately, I got into an accident a couple of months ago where someone hit my front right wheel/door side head on. I was going about 40-50 and he had just pulled out, so I'd say about 15 or so. The damage didn't look too terrible except that the wheel and door were bent inward, the center dashboard popped out, and the passenger airbag broke the windshield (no glass was actually shattered). It turned out that the frame ended up being twisted inside along with the other problems I mentioned which totaled it out. My passenger and I were safe at least!

What were they thinking

Why, 04/09/2009

As you approach this car it seems like a fairly handsome vehicle. It has clean lines, just a nice amount bling to it. Climb in and start going and you will quickly be disappointed. The wind noise is horrendous. That's ok though you can get used to it after a while, and the stereo can be turned up loud enough to overcome the noise. No, the worst part about this car is that in 2009 a car still has ABS as an option? What are they thinking? You get side airbags, but I'd rather avoid an accident by having ABS.

I'm Glad I Got A KIA Spectra EX

JoshUNC, 12/26/2008

After comparing prices on the '07 to the new '09 KIA Spectra EX I decided to go with the '09 mainly based on price and having full warranty. I give this car straight 9s across the board... very happy with my purchase so far. I have even used the roadside service because I left my lights on and ran my battery dead. Called kia and they sent someone with no problems and limited info. They even called me back to make sure someone came to help. Will buy a KIA again!

51050