Used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great value.

Mike, 03/28/2019
Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car. Hyundai has really stepped up their game. Honda and Toyota are the best and Hyundai is right next to them. When you factor in price and what you get for the money, I think they pass Honda and Toyota.

2017 Sonata Sport issues

Bear, 02/23/2020
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First the good: Loved the comfort, loved the options, loved the ride, loved the infotainment system. Initially, I was prepared for a long relationship. Now the not-so-good: Engine is harsh and would occasionally stall for no discernible reason, transmission would do odd things (hmmm, shall I shift, or maybe not...), paint began peeling above the windshield at less than 3 years (Major chunks of paint...Evidently there was an attempt at a class action suit that was dismissed. If you are out of the 3yr/36,000, good luck with the paint), the crush washers on the oil pan are a known issue (search for the sites that list replacement oil plugs from other cars that fit the Sonata). Finally, the dealership didn't seem invested in fixing issues. We traded it in on a Toyota.

Worth a look

William Atmur, 05/14/2018
SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Never owned a Hyundai in my life. Steep discounts and lots of features finally had me take a look. I really like the car. It’s not exactly eye catching, it doesn’t stand out from the crowd. The interior is very modern and well thought out. The acceleration is great! Sport mode is a thrill but the gas just drains like water. In all honesty I’m not impressed with the fuel economy but I’ve owned smaller cars up to this point so hard to compare. Getting into a comfortable seat position took some time. It does have a rental care feel to it at times. The seats stain easy, the brakes are firm but a bit mushy in my opinion. The whole car is thrown forward when it stops, that’s because of the weight. The trunk is absolutely useless - by far the most annoying draw back of the car.

Engine failure 18,000 mikes

Kenneth, 01/20/2019
Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Engine failure 18,000 mile two years old , Hyundai corporate office no help . It like a bad relationship you can no longer trust her .... took a $6,000.00 hit and traded it in . Sadly could take a chance it was going brake down again , and who wants a rebuild for an engine

How Hyundai has let me down.

Celest Chaitram, 03/22/2018
Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In June of 2017, I took in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata for an oil change at the Hyundai Dealership in Coconut Creek and I ended up purchasing a brand new 2017 Sonata Sport, mostly because I really liked the Android Auto feature (a feature that connects your phone to your car and permits you to use your phone while driving through voice activation) and I felt pressured by the salesman. I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 which worked perfectly with my car for almost 9 months with no hiccups. About a month ago, my Android Auto begun disconnecting randomly, sometimes while I’m driving, far away from home, completely dependent on my GPS and the synchronization between my 2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport and my Samsung Galaxy S7 would abruptly end, forcing me to disconnect the USB cable, unlock the phone, turn the Bluetooth off, sometimes restart the handset (all while driving) in hopes that it would work when I reconnect. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten lost or missed turns. I begun receiving warning message on my phone stating that the software in the car was not compatible with my phone and that it needed to be updated, so I dropped my car off at the dealership, told them about the issue and expected when I pick up the vehicle later that day, that the problem would have been resolved. Boy was I wrong. The person who serviced my car, put a note in there stating that his phone connected and that it works. Obviously, when I get in and connect the phone, it connects, its randomly after some time the connection breaks and this foolishness begins. So, I reached out to Hyundai so basically told me that I need to use an old phone if I want my car to work. I have to use a Galaxy 6S, iPhone s6 or older. Well I almost $hit myself. They’re got to be kidding right? I decided, maybe it’s a problem with my phone, because my phone begun freezing each time I disconnected it from the car, so last week I spent $750 and bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I was so excited thinking ‘finally, my car will work like it ought to again’. NOPE! It worked with the brand-new phone for 20 minutes before reverting to the same issue. In addition, there’s a notification on the screen in the car that blinks continuously saying ‘reading USB’ followed by ‘Unable to connect’. Don’t even get me started on the time my trunk lock stopped working while I was moving into a new apartment and all my stuff got locked in the trunk or the fact that I can’t pump more than 4 dollars worth of gas without having the pump stop and having to just hold the lever on the gas pump down until I assume my tank is filled to avoid spillage. I am beyond frustrated and angry. At this point the car was not worth wasting this much money over. I wish I never bought it, should have stuck with my 2012 Sonata, never had any issues with that one. They refuse to fix it, they don’t know how to. I’m really disappointed and wish there was a way to get them to take the car back if they can’t repair the 1 feature for which I purchased the car. Don’t waste your time, effort or money guys, trust me, the stress is NOT worth it.