Used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

LOUD chattering, ticking, and groaning engine

Melanie, 07/28/2017
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2017 Sonata in February; the car had 5 miles on it when I drove off the lot. At 150 miles, the engine became loud, especially upon starting up when cold. The engine chatters and vibrates and seemed extremely loud for a new car. The engine block also had corrosion spots on it. I took the car into the dealer and the service reps kept it overnight, told me they checked it out and there was nothing wrong, and they cleaned off the corrosion nad told me that was nothing to be concerned with. At around 300 miles, I discovered a defect in the passenger window and took the car back into the dealer. I again told them about the loud noise and that is did not sound normal; the engine knocks and certainly does not sound like a brand new car. They checked it out again and told me the noises are "normal" and that there is nothing wrong with the car. And of course they told me not to worry because if there is anything wrong, it's covered by the warranty. My car now has just now reached 3000 miles and I will be taking it in the for oil change. The engine seems to be louder; I was standing near another Sonata that was idling and one could not even hear it. My car is LOUD chattering, tinny sound, and when accelerating there is a groaning sound. It sounds like a a very old car. I drive very conservatively and at the speed limit, mostly in town, and the gas mileage I have gotten is not as advertised; the current "fuel economy" listed on the dash is 17.9. I got the car for its great gas mileage. Has anyone else had similar issues? I would like the dealer to replace the entire car. I don't want them to "repair" or replace the engine because it is a brand new car and should not have such issues, and if they start "repairing" it so early, it will certainly not be a new car.

I'm in love

Nick DeLaTorre, 09/15/2016
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car has great looks and has more than enough power for the price.

Overall great inexpensive car

James, 10/09/2018
Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you are looking into this car, you are probably looking at the Camry, Accord, Mazda 6, etc. personally this car is a greater value, but the others seem to have better soundproofing within their vehicles. the 2.0T engine is very good, i wouldn't purchase this car without the 2.0T engine. the 2.4 non turbo felt sluggish in test drives. it beats its competitors in leg room, and cargo room. the mpg could be better but i have a lead foot. My only real complaint about this car is the amount of road noise i hear when travelling at highway speeds.

Great Midsize Sedan Comfy Ride for Empty Nester

Lady Tiffany, 06/01/2017
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have previously owned: 1979 Delta 88 Oldsmobile, 1988 Cutlass Sierra, 1999 Honda CRV 2WD, 2009 Mazda Madza 3 (rehabbed and still drive) 2012 Ford Fusion SE (traded in for this car). I like a sporty feel car but without the necessary high octane gas and manual shift equipment. As I am approaching 50 and my son is well out of the home, I have slowly navigated towards the mid-size sedans. My main reasons are more accessories to compensate for my short-comings as I get older and more comfort. (I spent nearly 2k on shocks, struts, alignment, breaks, tires and wheels for the Mazda - My 67 year old mom drives it now.) I traded in my 2012 Ford Fusion with 127k miles with an excellent interstate ride and suspension system. Fast forward to today. So Hyundai had a really nice rebate...up to 6k on the Sonata thru 5/31/2017 and I was upside down on my Fusion...by a lot. Needed a comparable larger sedan to help me compensate. I work for Enterprise so I can really ride a plethora of vehicles to try out car types. (well really anyone can...and it's worth it...especially if you're looking for a major upgrade in some way). I rented the Hyundai Santa Fe and although it was nice...this standard SUV was really too much for my needs at this point in life. I thought I wanted the Hyundai Tucson crossover instead. But it would have been a less comfortable payment. In walks the Hyundai Sonata that I've sold time and time again as a rental and thought...meh...Hyundai (remember it's mediocre start). Man! Have they come along way baby. I am the owner of a new Hyundai 2017 Sonata Sport with the Value Package. Talk about taste of luxury and bells and whistles. It may not have the market mind-share of Lexus, Mercedes, BMW or the like. But it definitely has some luxury touches. Rear view camera helps me back up. Boy oh boy does it help especially since this empty nester must wear glasses for my astymatism and for close reading. The navi screen is awesome. Great that I can plug and play my phone into the Android phone option. All the necessary buttons for making phone calls, volume and other necessities it all compiled in a simplistic area. I feel confident as a woman driving along and even out of town. Push to start is amazing and I'm getting more and more use to it...and how about that auto trunk open feature. Sound system is great. Ride is comfortable on the interstate and even though it's a long car...it does not feel bulky in traffic congestion. Seats are great for my full-figure frame...part leather and cloth. Oh did I mention the sun-roof. Large enough to let some sun and air in without messin' up my 'do. For the first time I opted for Silver which is a kind of plain color but the black and chrome silver accents make it look more luxurious. At this point I am completely satisfied and completely convinced I got the better deal for midsize cars on the market right now. Assistance manuals are comprehensive and I will have to probably take about 3 months to learn all my car can do. I'm so looking for it. Me and my mom and best friend are going to have some sweet travels in the vehicle, Lord willing.

Best true value for your hard earned buck

EP1, 04/12/2017
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After owning the car now for 1 year, the Sonata continues to be a very good handling car, the car is still very quiet while on the road, The car still has a very comfortable ride both in the city and on the highway, Hwy mileage I recorded 37 mpg, I see the tires that came from the factory will not last more than 25,000 miles I have 13,200 miles on the car and they are starting to show wear even though I have rotated them every 6,000 miles. The 3 recalls are a concern but at least Hyundai recalled the issues. The cars safety cage is TOP NOTCH, a Sienna backed into my side fender and I was not scratched, the car is very well made

12345...14