Used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Fly, drive and relax in traffic...a smooth ride

PL, 01/30/2017
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Test drive and feel the difference between the base Sonata and the Sports 2.4L. There's a difference in acceleration. Also, quieter ride. Get the optional upgrade for sports suspension and then you also get the sunroof, tire locks, etc, as part of a reasonable package. It's a joy to travel in, especially when stuck in rush-hour traffic. Fuel economy was a major consideration - averaging 20,000 miles / yr, with less than half being highway miles.

Great car

Dominick Edwards, 07/03/2017
Limited 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have always owned/leased high end cars. Traded my loaded 2015 Genesis 3.8 for the Sonata Limited 2.0T. In general, I am very pleased with the car. However, if you're downsizing from a Lexus or Genesis like I did, you might be a little dissappointed with the ride which is a little rough and with some road noise. The Sonata compares well to its competitors in all aspects including price. So, given the price differential between high end cars and the Sonata, one could live with the minor shorcomings. Overall handling is great. Electronics are as good if not better than most any high end cars. Safety features are great. The power seats are widely adjustable and very comfortable. Overall, I am very happy with the car. Yes, I miss my Genesis but I'm getting used to a smaller car payment lower insurance premiums and much better gas mileage. In addition to all that, the car looks great.

above Accord or Camry

Clag, 07/16/2017
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Sonata Limited for 3 months. I wanted an old man's car and therefore was not too concerned with high performance or flashy appearance. I would have been happy with any of the loaded midsize sedans: Accord, Camry, Altima, Passat, Fusion, Malibu or Sonata. Considering only the top three in reliability, I eliminated all but the Accord, Camry and Sonata. I believe that cars are going through a drastic change over the next 3 to 5 years. So, I wanted my next car to be loaded with as much of the new tech stuff as possible. All three top out at somewhere between $32,500 and $35,000. Honda and Toyota would only knock off at most $3,000 to $4,500 the MSRP. I bought my Hyundai $10,000 less than MSRP ($33,555). If I sell it in 4 to 7 years, I believe that Hyundai will have as good a reputation for reliability as Honda or Toyota. I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs with knees that don't bend very much. The Sonata is the easiest to get in and out of and has the most room. With my iPhone 7, the entertainment center does everything I could ask of it and with great speakers. I couldn't notice any significant difference among the three in handling, noise, ride and comfort. Performance will have to go to the other's with a V6. Hyundais only come with a I4. (I get my performance fix racing go-karts.) I check my gas mileage every time I fill up. Never have I gotten less than 25.3 mpg (all city driving). On the highway, I get 37mpg but that is driving 70-80 mph.

One Solid Car!

Bo S., 09/13/2017
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is a second Sonata (old one is 2012) I own besides an 2003 Elantra (commuter) and a 2017 Santa Fe Sport. Yes, Hyundai cars are so reliable and we keep going back buying them. When I looked at a 2017 Sonata Sport in blue, instantly I fell in love with because it has the luxurious feels both inside and out. With the deep discount offered, I couldn't pass it. The OTD price was slightly over $19k. Currently I have over 2k miles on it and I get average 34.5 MPG of mixed highway and back road driving. On highway, I have seen highest 41.1 MPG without using Eco. This is Sonata Sport with 2.4L engine with Value Edition Package ($950) which has sunroof, 17" aluminum tires, side blinkers, butt warmer, automatic trunk open, and push button start. There are so many bells and whistles that came with and I am still learning. Due to the sport suspension, the ride is a little stiff but is very quiet. Turning on a tight corner is so easy and I get the feeling that it glues to road. Hyundai, you've done it again! Update: I had it for 8 months now and drove over 7,500 miles. During the time, I had two changes and a couple of car washes. No issues are found other than loving it. Ride is a little stiffer than other cars I own because the sport suspension. However, there is no "sport" about it as it has only 185 HPS but it does "pick up and go". It does not have the wireless phone charge like 2018 Sonata but it is ok as I can charge phones when it is hooked to Auto Android or Apple CarPlay. I love the Bluetooth functions and stereo system. I forgot to mention on the previous review that the package came with leather seats, leather steering, and leather shift knob. Well, I love this car and am going to keep it for a long time.

Best car for the money

David, 04/07/2018
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had the entry level 2017 SE for about 15 months now and have 43,000 miles on it already. I drive a lot, I needed a car that would be comfortable, reliable and provide good gas mileage. I simply love this car... My wife has the 2017 elantra with the tech package, I wish that I had bought mine with the tech package. Even without the tech package I still had android auto and it is just awesome.The good news is 2018 sonata seems to have blind spot detector as a standard feature. However, the car is simply great. It is very quiet and comfortable. I did test drive a Camry before buying this car, the camry did seem slightly quieter and a little softer but that did not justify the price differential for me. I get about 36 mpg on my regular 50 mile commute. I love that the tank is big and I get a whopping 600 miles before I have to fill in the gas. The materials quality surpassed my expectation for this price point. The interior is roomy and tastefully designed. Only two things about this car bothers me. 1) there is no way to turn off the small white LED ambient light next to the sunglass holder. It bothered me a lot in the beginning but now I hardly notice it. 2) when I let go of the brakes from a complete stop sometimes there is a slight shudder/vibration felt (I don't believe my car has the stop start functionality). In the beginning I was worried but my wife's elantra does the same and hasn't caused any issues. The plan is to drive this vehicle till I see 300,000 miles on the odometer.

12345...14