Used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

56000 care free miles

Dick JR., 05/28/2020
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I also own a 2007 with 120,000 miles and not one mechanical break down. I have only done general maintenance to my 2007 and it is still runs great. For the 2017 I purchased my wife it is a big improvement over my 2007 in every way. Also, not one mechanical issue in 3 year sand 56000 miles. Knock on wood.

Could be better

BeReal, 06/22/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got the base model Sonata SE. It’s roomy, comfortable & easy to drive. Power windows, media center with Apple Care, backup camera & alarm system are standard, but the cloth covered seats are manual. It doesn’t have all the fancy technology of more expensive brands, but it has enough. It does have a couple of minor issues that are annoying. Apple care is finicky & although v/m should be accessible, it will not play. Sometimes when the dash gets hot from the sun or the heater has been on for awhile, the media center goes black & there’s no way to play music, access gps or use the phone. It’s happened a handful of times over 3 yrs. Tthe dealership can’t diagnose it because it never stays off when the car is in for service. Another annoyance is the way the trunk lid area is designed. When it rains, it collects in the channels surrounding the trunk lid and it will literally collect 1/4 inch of dirt/pollen/debris & remain damp during cool weather. It’s extremely messy to clean off & has to be done frequently in the winter, which has never been an issue with any other brand I’ve owned. There are a couple of major concerns. First, there was a recall for a software issue & after the update, the car doesn’t run quite the same. There’s been a slight decrease in mpg. So far there hasn’t been a major mechanical problem, but it must be a serious issue with other Sonatas because Hyundai added a year to the warranty. The 2nd issue is the car isn’t great in a wreck. Was driving 45 mph & had a jeep wrangler with a wench turn into the drivers side of a previous Sonata SE. Jeep had a scratch, but every panel on the Sonata’s driver side was damaged from front fender to the rear of car. The front axle also broke & the car was totaled. Despite that, the airbags didn’t deploy. Although there are some issues, I like the Sonata SE enough to replace the wrecked SE with another one. The Sonata SE has room for improvement. However, for the price, it’s a descent ride.

2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T

Nick, 09/10/2020
Limited 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought vehicle January 2020 Downsized from 2008 Cadillac cts. I have to say I don't miss the Cadillac, the sonata is smaller but more roomier inside. Great on gas, I go two weeks on tank full. It's it little sluggish than the Cadillac, I have learned to live with it... my only concern is longevity... the vehicles are known for engine issues... but I have to say Hyundai is backing all their sonata from 2011 to 2019 and replacing engines when they fail....... I'm at 43,000 miles now and so far so good. Let's see what future has in store for my sonata...

feels like a prius with turbo lag

pery, 06/26/2017
Eco 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

adding to title, do not know if suspension is different than sport but sport was more planted. sport has better wheels and tires and 300 more lbs which perhaps adds to more refined ride. acceleration not much different in time but eco shifts can be rough at lower speeds.

Watch out for???

Frank Arsenault, 10/23/2016
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a 2017 Sonata 4 DR. Was not told by Dealer/Sales or Management that the Navigation system in my Sonata was only workable when MY CELL phone was pluged into the automobile's port. When I went to another dealer, then I was told "the Sonata Limited" had Navigation that did NOT require what I was told at the first dealership. PROBLEM was I already purchased the first one. I was so upset that in ONE weeks time I turned THAT Sonata in for the one I did not know about earlier.. Shame on Dealership