Used 2017 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Terrain for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best car I ever owned - this is my second one!!

Ingrid, 12/21/2016
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Terrain not only stands out for it's looks, but it drives great, is dependable, comfortable, offers great features, and is decent on gas. I loved my first one so much that I got a new one. I did look at a few other vehicles, but none in the same class even compare. I have owned almost every make of car out there and the GMC Terrain has been the only one I ever considered owning a second time around!

1st Terrain - could not be happier

Southern Newhampshire, 04/26/2017
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Chose the SLT AWD with V6 3.6L option. Leather and everything but driver memory feature. Extremely comfortable to drive, V6 has great response. Only observation is down-shifting when coasting around corner then up-hill; seems to hard shift but learned to work the pedal differently.

HOT IN THE BACK SEAT!

Betty, 07/10/2017
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

No air vents in the back seat. You have to freeze in the front in order for the back seat to have air. HOT HOT HOT...IT IS AN SLT. ITS NOT THE CHEAPEST TERRAIN. BUT IS IS HOT IN THE BACK.

GMC Terrain is a good ca

CD, 02/18/2018
SLT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Leasing my 2nd terrain and I love my car. Road noise is a problem could be much better. Seats could be softer. Tires might hydroplane on wet roads a little. If GMC upped the quality a little it would be perfect. Gas mileage around 26mpg. Engine not gutsy enough on pick up. Love my car. Don't think any car is perfect

Oil burner! Avoid!

Mastertech, 06/11/2017
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

2.4L Ecotec engine consumed 3 quarts of oil in the first 3600 miles! Oil minder read 87% life, yet when I checked the dipstick before a trip it read no oil. Added 1 quart still no reading, added 2nd quart, still no reading, added 3rd quart, dipstick read 1/2 to full line. Engine requires full synthetic "Dexos" spec 5w-30 motor oil. GM has known of the issue with oil consumption of this engine for many years, has issued a Technical Service Bulletin requesting dealers to document excessive oil consumption, then authorizes installation of new pistons and rings. 2011 documented as worst model year. Uninformed owners running the engine low on oil are not warned of the deficiency, the engines timing chains and guides fail, the lack of lubrication takes its toll on bearings and parts depending on sufficient oil to cool and lubricate them. Engines can fail or seize creating a significant safety hazard. Internet search this issue, many horror stories. If failure occurs out of warranty or you are the second owner you are on your own...Where is the outrage?

0 to 60 in a week

lauren billagio, 09/01/2017
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Buy a six cylinder. This is a bad ass looking vehicle but the four cylinder doesn't cut it. When merging onto the freeway and pressing the gas pedal firmly it makes all of the right sounds but doesn't actually do anything. I am disappointed in that. The test drive was in a semi-congested city setting where pep doesn't matter so it was wasn't noticed. It also has a fairly wide turning radius which surprised me. I traded a Honda Pilot in for this Terrain. The Pilot was much larger but had a smaller turning radius. As much as I like the looks of this car I rate drivability low. The interior is appointed fairly well and everything is easy to work but the lack of pep distracts from that. The seat are comfortable on long rides. It is a great vehicle for driving around town but isn't really a joy on the freeway.

Nice little suv

The Finisher, 03/21/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We got this suv to drive our grandson in a car seat. It was roomy and comfortable at a good price. I liked backup camera but I thought it lacked a little power. We only had it for a year and we only drove 4,000 miles, then traded it in. I liked the body style. It was a nice little suv.

End of Season Terrain

Lou D, 09/11/2017
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The extremely aggressive rebates that applied to this 2017 model totaled almost $6000, lowering the purchase price significantly, about 20% off sticker. While not an option listed above, this was a 6-cyl SLT. After a test drive, the 4-cyl just didn't have the power needed for this truck. To put it plainly, the 6- cyl eats gas. The fuel mileage is so bad you'd think you were driving an 8-cyl. The other complaint is that the center console controls are a bit of a stretch, the nav system could be simpler to operate and the only USB port is buried in the center console. Also, as soon as you plug into the USB, the audio source changes, which stinks if you don't want it to. The source also changes on its own the first time you change it back to where you want it. This is very annoying, but my daughter's Chevy Cruze does the same thing, so it must be a GM thing. Besides issues, the truck has power, room (especially headroom), is comfortable, has good cargo space, and a generally sweet interior. It's a great ride, and we're very happy with the deal received, but maybe a little less so than when we left to the ​showroom.

Best vehicle in its class.

Nate Leasure, 10/16/2018
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have the V6 version, which Edmunds seems to be denying the existence thereof. It is something of a necessity. Now I have a neighbor who has the new model with the woeful 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, in an SUV that tips the scales at just under 2 tonnes, yeah right. We did a friendly little drag race on a deserted road, 1/4 mile. I not only beat him to the other side, I could have ordered a pizza in the meantime. There is a reason why they kept saying bigger isn't always better in the adverts (GMC makes 20 ft long trucks), it is pathedic. Now back to the good one. I once drove this on a mountain road in northern Arizona, it reminded me alot of the Golf GTI with it's quick revs and steering responsiveness. Bearing in mind it has awd, 301 bhp and is a bit bigger and higher off the ground. It is only let down by it's diminutive gearbox which is unmodified from the standard car which has roughly 100 less hp and +-80 less torques. The gear ratios are far too close together in 1-3 for this power and you will be switching between 4 and 5 like a teenage girl changes shoes on prom night, 6 is good though, long torque band and silky. With that being said if the gearbox was borrowed from the Camero, where the engine came off, it would be roughly a second faster to 60 and have another 10 mph to play with. Then your talking more about a BMW 3 series in terms of performance. Now how about the way we would enjoy this power and manuverabilty. This would likely be a family car and would have to spend the majority of its life on the school run and going to the store and back. As such it can't have a jaring ride or no space, or sound like you are under machine gun fire on the highway, alot like that 3 series. It is quite easy to live with everyday. The ride is subtle yet resosive, I can read the road with my tires but it doesn't break my back. There is enough room in the back to take a dog for a walk so it should hold your 2.3 children nicely. And if you fold down the seats, which can be done with one hand, there is enough room for a sizable pool sand filter. As far as noise level, it is rather well insulated, even into triple digits there is little in the way of vibration or road noise, the aggga from under the bonnet (it is not a hood!) on the other hand is not operatic but has a few good notes in its vocal range. If you get the interior in white, it is a rather pleasent place to be. Yes the tech is a bit dated and if you are short reaching the satnav screen can be a challenge. But on the whole, it is good enough. It doesn't wow you with tech but we're not asking it to be mission control now are we. We want it to tell us where we are, play our music, let us talk to our friends and tell us how soon we are going to back into the curb behind us. It does all that, what more do you need? Bottom line, it looks good, goes faster than anything else in its class, can carry a family, and is reliable as a wood burning stove. At the beginning of the Edmunds article, the author wondered why it was so popular after 8 years running, well, read above. There aren't many of these left at the time of this writing, if you see one new still lingering in a dealer, buy it just buy it you won't be disappointed, unlike if you bought the new model. Seriously GM, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Very disappointed in the GMC Terraine

Dean Gould, 01/19/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I changed jobs and needed a car fairly fast. I saw this car on the lot in what appeared to be a good deal, $23,000. By the time I was out of there, my loan was $28,000. For $28,000, I could have gotten a great Honda or Toyota but I wanted to buy American. There are some great American cars out there but not this one. My fault for rushing. One of the reasons I liked it was the exterior design. I like the tough front end which looks like a truck front end. The 2018 looks like every other mid-size SUV. Bad mistake on GMC's part to change the styling. Here are my problems: 1) it sounds like a tin-can when you close the doors. A little injection fill of some sort should have fixed that. 2) biggest problem is the seats are tilted up ever so slightly (bottom portion) so it is causing major pain in my right leg (probably sciatica) I've spent hours trying to get just the right position and nothing works. It lifts your leg just enough to be uncomfortable. I looked on line and others have the same problem. I called GMC about them adjusting it somehow mechanically and no one really cares. Not possible. So I had to buy a tacky seat cushon and I'm hoping that works. You better make sure the 2018 models don't have that slant. I was in my buddy's Honda truck this weekend. Ahhhhh. The pain resided. 3) the salesman told me the radio was the latest technology; that I could play my iphone through the radio, pandora, etc. I spent hours trying to figure it out. I called 2 dealers, I called the technical hotline. I stopped in a dealer twice. No one could help me get it working. I was told by the technical line that my model, S1 radio does NOT have that option. To replace radio would be $1500 or more. Finally after wasting all that time, I found a special adaptor that allows me to play pandora, etc. through the car radio. How could no one know that. Meanwhile, its a great big hassle because I can't charge my iphone and use this adapter at the same time and there is NO other adapter that works. 3) the headliner is like paper. it has ripped in 3 places and the dealer won't fix it even though I have the "interior" warranty. What a joke. I've owned and driven company cars for 40 years; at least 20 different cars and only a used Grand Prix in about 1983 had a torn headliner and it was probably already 10 years old. 4) The seat covers are cheap looking and it ruins the overall interior design of the car. The little holes in the fabric catch food and other things. 5) I'd trade the car in tomorrow but it appears in just nine months, I'd already lose over $10,000. Its KBB is $17,153 so I'm stuck with this lunch box for a long time. What a joke.

MY THIRD TERRAIN!

ADRIENNE, 12/18/2016
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Someone broadside me after 3 weeks of owning this car and I am driving a Cadillac. Horrible by comparison. Sold my others within minutes of letting others know it was for sale. Car holds it's value and I had it before it was popular. Elegant in quick silver which I needed to take around my clients-retro style is classy. The only problem I had, was shopping as a woman even on the Internet. Previously I shopped as a Latin male with no problem. The one GMC dealer in the northern part of Miami Dade County had me come in a fill out the papers for a car they didn't have and then wanted to charge me additional to get it. SO BE AWARE OF ALL DEALINGS.

My 16 year old Yukon Quit :-(

Judson, 08/27/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Check out getting in and out of the front seats. Don't expect your rear seats to fold down all the way. It is snapy and it saves me money over the V-8 I had before! We still don't like the fact that the rear seats wont fold down Flat. GMC is selling the 2018 Terrain cheaper than we had to pay for this 2017...

4 banger with no muscle

Sam Sillmon, 03/27/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you want a spacious vehicle keen for commuting this is it but don’t expect to be able to rev pass other cars in traffic

2017 white terrain

Daniel Johnson, 11/10/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drove thhe crv, rav4, escape, none of them compare! The terrain is much quieter, more stylish and nicer riding. I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and got over 30 mpg. The best i received was 40.1 mpg!

American styling & technology wins

Terri Thomas, 07/20/2017
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love this car - just shifts a bit slowly, used to my Nissan Rogue smoothe transitioning gears

Intellilink system already went out in my 2017

Shelley Kennon, 08/13/2019
Denali 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Intellilink system in my 2017 GMC Terrain Denali has already gone out. I purchased it brand new. I took it to the dealership and they want almost $1600 to replace it because I’m out of warranty. How does the system go out in a 2 year old vehicle? I have contacted GMC but they are unwilling to help me. Never again will I buy a GMC!

Up-scaling- while down scaling auto

Paul D. Henderson, 10/07/2019
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Read the Damn , car books & try to get decent understanding about car use & operations. Looked for newer car that tried to compare in gas millage. This SUV, was not bad. with an inline 4 & econ. setting but my Toyota Solara , still beats it with a V-6 & rides better drives better, & gets better millage.--But it was stole 2x in week. So got wife a small SUV. This was 1 of better choices I could actually afford to pay for.

Loved my terrain

Barb, 11/24/2019
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Was the second terrain I leased, got in a bad head on collision, all air bags went off, seat belt worked perfect, walked away with minor injuries, kudos to there safety, highly praise and miss that car

GORGEOUS ,VERY LITTLE MILES, LIKE BRAND NEW

Elena Cleveland, 03/15/2020
SLT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Was stupid thing to rid of this very beautiful car as was NOTHING WRONG with it. JUst after 3 years warranty had to be updated. I bought new, drove very little, was extremely happy with it. The most of times Terrain was kept in the garage, It was the BEST car, I could dream of it. I trade to Jeep just for more horse power. I'm pretty happy with new car, but miss my GMC Terrain every day.

Good vehicle, but did not enjoy dealer

Jim, 01/26/2018
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

DO NOT PURCHASE VEHICLE OR ADD-ONS DURING FIRST VISIT TO DEALERSHIP. Do not purchase add-on contracts and warranties from dealer at time of purchase - do homework on value of add-ons to you as buyer and research experiences of other buyers with these add-ons such as LUXCARE, 3 for 1, extended mechanical warranty, dealer service contract, etc. Do your homework before puchasing: Determine value of your trade-in, determine MSRP for the vehicle being purchased - GO TO EDMONDS BEFORE GOING TO DEALERSHIP. Take a younger friend with you who hears well, thinks quickly and is not easily pushed or intimidated.

Snowy rear end

Countryfolk, 01/15/2018
SLT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When traveling on snow covered roads, all the rear lights become snow covered. Was almost rear ended due to following car unable to see any brake lights. I drive back country roads delivering meals on wheels and have to constantly brush snow off all brake lights. Very frustrating. I noticed that the Chevy equinox also has this problem. We added mud flaps, no help there. Turning ratio is large, turns like a semi. Hard to maneuver in tight parking places. Air circulation has musty smell have to change filter every 6 months. Will not purchase again.

Great little SUB

Rob, 02/23/2018
Denali 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Get the V6!

save yourself dont buy this p.o.s

damian, 07/16/2017
SLT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

you can go faster in a go kart with a better ride at k1 speedway than this gutless slow as hell car.SUV stands for qaulity most cases but not here.i have to pay 30,000 dollars for a piece of crap car i think not.Shame on the dealerships for pushing ppl into buying this car.GM even knows its a piece but yet here we are.

Terrible in snow,regret leasing it.

Lisa A, 07/01/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We live in north east Ohio and this vehicle is the absolute worst for driving in snow. It spins and skids very easy,tires pack full of snow. The traction control is a joke! Can't wait until the lease is up.

Did NOT hold its value

Jon, 01/09/2020
SLT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I leased a new 2017 GMC Terrain and just turned it in. Was thinking about buying it out for the residual price but was upside down on it by around $4K. Not a great choice. Thank goodbess for leasing.

Terrain Denali AWD 2017

Skylaner, 01/18/2020
Denali 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The best in snow and ice I Have ever owned...I’ve had Saab,BMW (awd)..GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Tahoe (4wd)...this Terrain is the BEST!

Look elsewhere!!

L March, 07/09/2018
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This SUV is small inside and is not child friendly. The doors are extremely heavy, so my kids cannot open them on their own without the chance of losing a finger. The air conditioning is the absolute WORST! It only has control in the front so the front passengers risk frostbite in order for the back passengers to have any air at all. The cargo/trunk space is very narrow and small. There is hardly any leg room, so tall people beware. We leased the Terrain because we were looking for a small payment and liked that it looked like a mini Yukon. If it wasn't for the deal we got, we never would have went through with it, because I am so disappointed that I have been trying to get out of my lease since month one. There are better options in small SUVs than this.

Perfect for the family on the go!

Thomas_Christine, 10/24/2019
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Super comfy, stylish, surprisingly good on gas, and roomy!

Perfect for the family on the go!

Thomas_Christine, 10/24/2019
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Super comfy, stylish, surprisingly good on gas, and roomy!

Did NOT hold its value