List Price
$26,940

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Where's my Gas Cap?

Junior, 12/14/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Love most everything about this truck. TWO things I HATE. Low speed shifting and No Gas Cap. My truck is the SLT Premium Plus package that has the 8 speed transmission. At slow take offs it shifts hard to 2nd gear. Have also experienced "lunging" into 2nd gear when crawling to a stop such as heavy traffic. This could be dangerous if so be alert! I was told by the stealership that is is an adaptive learning transmission and it would learn my driving habits. Well, I now have 2900 miles on it with no change. My transmission obviously a slow learner. Now the gas cap... Capless fuel filler is the most ridiculous option that GM has come up with in my opinion. The 5 seconds that it takes to unscrew and screw back on the cap doesn't justify the "convenience". First off, there is nothing to keep dirt, water, or any other element from pooling on the flapper door for the nozzle insertion. The time that I am suppose to save by not have to remove or install the cap is used searching the gas pump island for a paper towel to soak up the gas that will inevitably pool on top of the flapper. Water always pools here as well whenever the truck is washed or it rains. GM, please bring back the tried and true GAS CAP! Absolutely happy with the fuel mileage for a big V8 truck. I can get 24 mpg on a 55MPH road and 19's on a 70MPH road. City is OK. Averaging 15-16MPG. Update: 10,000 miles now. Transmission still hasn't learned anything even after going to school at the stealership multiple times.' Update: It's now 2020. 13,800 miles. Transmission still hasn't learned anything. Patience is wearing thin. Been waiting on the stealership to call me for 6 weeks now to set up yet another appointment to get my transmission woes resolved. It's like they are hoping my warranty expires or something. RAM is in my future... Oh, I still miss my gas cap! Update 1-6-21. Got rid of this POS because GM couldn’t or wouldn’t fix the known transmission problems with the 8 speed!

Overall Great Truck

Danny Shen, 05/06/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

All terrain option SL 5.3 v4 to v8 with the 8 Speed transmission Red with 22" wheels NICE! So far very pleased with my choice. Low gear and low speed the transmission shifts a little hard at times (mostly when in crawling traffic). All terrain option a tiny bit bouncier ride but I love it so far.It's on the pricy side but its a great truck and not made of Aluminium. (former f150 owner).

Shaky Mess of a Truck

Zach Cesternino, 05/30/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for two months and it has spent 20+ days in the shop. The truck vibrates at all speeds above 40 mph and can be felt in the floor, seat, steering wheel ,pedals, etc. Even though multiple dealerships have confirmed there is an issue GM corporate has stated the vehicle is "operating as designed". Not sure which car companies design their truck to make the occupants nauseous. Anyone looking to purchase this truck should research Sierra/Silverado vibration issues and purchase something else. GM isn't going to make it right or fix your issue so steer clear. Update- Switched to a RAM Rebel and couldn't be happier.

First year of ownership, 2017 SLT Double Cab 6.2L

Steven D., 07/11/2018
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The performance from the 6.2L V8 is exceptional, torque can be had at any engine speed, the 8-speed shifts a lot better then the 6-speed, which hampered my 2014 SLT with the 5.3L V8. It surprises many how quick the truck is and the passing power is phenomenal. Towing is easy, especially hooking up a trailer with the backup camera. With tow-haul mode engaged, towing is relatively effortless with the 6.2. Braking, handling, and ride quality are adequate for a full-size truck, but much better than most older trucks. The seats are large and comfortable, especially for highway use. They're not bolstered especially well for sporty driving, and rear seat room is limited with the double cab - the back seat is straight against the cab wall. Ergonomics are excellent - the center console with the bucket seats can fit a laptop or several file folders, the underseat storage accessory is great for holding a few tools, and there are plenty of cupholders and cubbies for front and rear passengers. Technology is great, the active safety tech works well though I've had several false alarms with the emergency braking and forward collision warning, the active lane keeping works well. Navigation, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Bluetooth are all there, even Wi-Fi, an owner experience app with cool features (MyGMC), OnStar telematics and emergency services, SiriusXM radio, and even a cool little app store with podcasts and other available apps. The infotainment system is easy to use and intuitive. Most buttons are large and placed conveniently, and the infotainment is set up so you don't have to dig through menus to find most features. I love the spray-on bedliner, cargo tie downs, LED bedlights, and bumper-mounted bed steps. They make using the truck easier. The LED headlights are a welcome addition - the standard halogen headlights are not bright enough. I'd recommend springing for the Intellibeam headlights for a little extra visibility at night. In just over 12,000 miles and 1 year of driving, I have had 1 oil change and service around 7,000 miles and have had no issues or reasons to bring it to the dealer, a welcome improvement over my 2014 with its malfunctioning Safety Alert Seat, A/C condenser, a set of tires, and radiator all before being traded in at 39,000 miles. Gas mileage is about 15 on average with the 6.2, I mostly drive on 2-lane backroads and in town. I've gotten over 25 mpg on a 200 mile highway trip before. BOTTOM LINE: No truck or car is without it's compromises, but I have been very happy with my purchase. PROS: Acceleration, utility, technology, ergonomics and large list of creature comforts. CONS: 8-speeds seems too much, although it shifts a lot smoother than the 6-speed in my 2014; interior quality is a little lacking, they keep getting more and more expensive.

Engine hesitates when it shift at low speeds

John Crooke, 12/27/2016
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The eight speed transmission seems to have problems.

Nice truck, with flaws

Jimmy Fortuna, 12/29/2016
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

Overall it's a nice truck. It rides well, is comfy, and has almost every bell and whistle. Almost everything seems to be at 90% of my expectations. The transmission is constantly searching, and the entertainment system already seems dated.

I LOVE MY TRUCK ITS RIGHT.OUTSIDE

Randy, 08/15/2018
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Buu it. Hands down so far the best bow tie vehicle Ive ever owned.It s fast lot of comfort a rollin computer on wheels Hell the only thing it dont do is fly

Extremely disappointed

Disappointed customer, 09/04/2019
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

I got my 2017 sierra denali with a 5.3l and 8 speed transmition brand new while working at a gmc dealer. I was so excited as this has been my dream truck for many years. After 1 month of driving I had loud clunking noises coming from the suspension. After 20 plus times in the shop . 1 year later after gm denied to assist me in trading in they finally "fixed it" they replaced every bit of the rear suspension and put some kind of pad between the springs, this seems to be working but since they replaced the entire suspension I won't trust it until I have several thousand miles. From day one the transmission has shifted so harshly it feels as though your being punched in the back. It slams gears and lunges at times. The trans recently has started the dreaded chevy shake which is a vibration that causes everything in the truck to rattle. The rear power window rattles constantly. Recently I was driving to work when my truck went in to limp mode. I called the dealer and brought it In. They told me that it was the battery which I thought was odd since the truck is less than 2 years old and has 40k miles but I live in warm weather so anyway I said ok they replaced the battery then they could not get the truck to start. Hmmm ok so turns out it was an electrical component of the high preasure fuel pump under the manifold which was a 1000 dollar repair and apparently not covered by warranty. GM covers half of the repair to be fair not enough but it's something. So again I ask gm to please buy this truck back! I promise to buy another gm but I want out of this lemon. Well gm said no again. And it's likely because I'm not the only one having these problems. Gm clearly did not test anything on this truck before slapping a 65k price in it and shipping it out to customers like me. I have been a loyal gm customer for my entire life my family have purchased numerous gmc models and only drive gmc for the last 30 years. Sorry gm you have lost our business completely. Don't get stuck like me. Gm is not loyal to its customers.

GMC FAN NO MORE

Russell Sheldt, 03/29/2018
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My new 2017 GMC Serra SLT is a true lemon. I currently own four vehicles from the GMC family but no more GMCs for me. This truck was listed at 51,845 dollars. I understand that mistakes are going to be made in manufacturing and that Vince Whibbs may not have known that they were selling me a GMC lemon but if you can not fix it replace it . After six trips to Vince Whibbs GMC for the same issue it is still broken. What good is GMC's warranty if they can not fix it? Not only did Vince Whibbs GMC not fix it but they created another issue on our 4th trip there.

transmission shifting issues GMC declairs normal

John Hoch, 01/08/2018
SLE 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Caution to perspective buyers.... Major issue with transmission 2017 ,,, GMC declares normal operation with Bullitin 99-04-20-002J,,, ... 01-09-2019,,, Recently discovered GM has new transmission redesign for 2019. I still have my 2017 V8 Searria .. Still very disappointed with cloggy transmission shifting.. Will NOT recommend or buy GM again..

Transmission shift clunk!

Disappointed, 10/17/2017
SLE 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Be sure to drive it. I have one that bangs the gears when taking off. (Sometimes) .Usually first thing in the morning. Jerks and shifts hard with a loud clunk when shifting between 1 and 2 gear. I know other owners that report the Same problem. So far either of the ones I have heard about have found the problem. Including mine!! 55K MSRP. Should not have this problem!!

My paper weight

Timothy, 06/21/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned this truck 40 days its been in the service department at least 30 of those. My wife and I are sick over this $48000 purchase. Together we don't make that in a year. Yet the huge corporation seems to take no responsibility for the problems we are having. I can't resell the truck I would be just as wrong as GMC. The only thing anyone wants to do is take it back to the service department. Totally Lost !

Great truck with undeniable flaws

Tim, 07/17/2020
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This truck excels in the modern world of fuel economy at one point I got the L/100km down to 8.7 which is phenomenal for a truck. It has a great engine management system allowing it to switch from 8 to 4 cylinders seamlessly. It is a very comfortable vehicle with enough room for anybody ( I’m 6’6” and I don’t have the seat all the way back). It has great tech and add ons but they do have their flaws. Very fun and intuitive sound system that suffers from a lack of precision. Too many times have I played music from my phone to find a 20 second delay in the play time by modern Bluetooth standards this is atrocious. Also the clock in the vehicle is slightly accelerated and needs to be reset on a weekly to monthly basis which for its price tag is not acceptable. The truck also seems to be laden with cheap parts that often need replacing. Within the first two years 2 of my 4 mud laps ripped off from daily use driving. Overall good but some flaws that make it feel like you’re being cheated out. Pros: Awesome drive, most comfortable truck I have ever been in Enough space for 5 large men in the cab which is incredible Awesome fuel efficiency sometimes gets better mileage than cars with half as many cylinders and half the weight Enough add ons that you feel civilized and the standard reverse camera is awesome for towing A nice look that commands space on the road Cons: A lot of small things are done very poorly Examples include the inner clock of the vehicle, the delay in the Bluetooth system, parts not being of good value It lacks the top end power to really move Truck that’s less of a truck and more of a car in a bad way as you lose some of the novelty

2017 gmc all terrain

al hartness, 11/15/2017
4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Excellent choice

Best truck I have ever owned. Has the 6.2 liter

John, 01/09/2018
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I think this is the beast truck for my money. Got the 6.2 for towing.

The beast

Gaston Rives, 01/26/2018
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This’s the best vehicle I ever own

Big disappointment!

C. Goutierez, 06/17/2020
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

What a night mare......... $3,500.00 for A/C repairs. Serious braking issues, I wasn’t notified of the recall. Now, $1,200.00 for check engine light. So much for buying American built.

Daves Denali

DAVE FISHER, 07/20/2017
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

Can be purchased for $55k , Engine at idle when hot should be smooth no missing or rough. Transmission should shift smoothly and ride should be comparable to a large SUV .

The first and last GM product I will every buy

Aaron, 08/04/2020
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Lost of little problems and i'm sick to my stomach. I had the Chevy shake -- which was fixed with rebalancing the tires (they were off from the factory). Cruise control failed, then came back on its own. I totally lost the entertainment system at 36k miles. That cost me 1k to fix. Who knows what else will go wrong. I'll get a Ford next. They have a totally different reputation than these POS's.

a true review?

Big G, 03/02/2018
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've had this truck for a year now ,and the only thing i don't like is in the winter the snow melts on the hood and runs down in front of the headlights and freezes,everything else has been excellent. now if i can only keep it from rusting underneath with the salt and calcium they use on the roads up here in Maine,also it's a great looking truck. I can't imagine what this other review guy has maybe a salvage title or something. or he actually owns a ford you no how they ARE!

Love it so far

Jim Tr, 01/08/2017
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

Quite spendy very much miss reactive cruise control, should have been on this vehicle.

20 day owner for what it's worth

robert taber, 07/22/2017
SLE 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

All shoppers should know what their primary purpose is for the vehicle and look at only those vehicles that serve that purpose.

2017 Z71

Jason Conner, 04/01/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck. It has a lot of great features.

Army

TexasPete, 05/31/2019
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

Navigation is average to poor. Voice is sorriest in the industry. The nav system was out of date when we drove it off the showroom floor. The dealership refused to waive the update costs. We use “Waze” for navigation. Our 2004 Lexus system is more reliable than GM’s.

UPGRADE

THOMAS DAWKINS, 08/18/2017
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

THIS TRUCK HAS IT ALL AND LOTS OF NEW FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS THAT YOU ACTUALLY USE

N/A

R Peffley, 04/22/2019
SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Console charger will not charge I phones

Trouble from day one!

lifted_Rado, 06/26/2020
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2017 gmc sierra 6.2l 8 speed auto, bought used with under 8k miles (probably should have been a sign) I have a fully loaded SLT ALL terrain package, the first few weeks the truck was perfect it was a dream truck of mine to own, then it started going down hill from there first thing is the transmission sucks clunks really bad on the 1-2 shift bad enough to shake the truck, took it to GMC several times, after a few times they replaced some oil pump for the tyranny and went to a different fluid, fixed the problem for a few days they now say its normal, then once i got to about 45k miles it through and engine code (cold start/ruff idle) after researching it a bit people are saying the it refers to the injectors and that they are going out. GM found nothing wrong with the truck and won't fix it, soon after the A/C went out on the truck completely wont cool at all just blows hot, I now hate this truck and wish I would have bought a different brand for a 50k truck its just disappointing that GM won't stand behind there product. Family members of mine have worked for GM for over 40 years and have owned nothing but GM, but they have definitely lost us as a customer!

My 2017Lincoln. Sierra denali

Disappointed, 01/12/2021
4dr Double Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the vehicle of my dreams. What a disappointment. Leather in back seat is scaling off. No one seats there. Was originally bought back by gmx due to lemon law. Was advised gmc could not find the problem or correct it. I have been driving over 50 years. Can't believe gmc mechanics can not find a problem. I notice the shifting problem everything its driven. Time to go back to a high end ford or lincoln.

Better then a Ford

Dwayne Ashton , 04/12/2021
SLT 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I’ve been driving the 2017 GMC Sierra Z71 double cab for over a year. Regular oil changes every 5K kms give or take n it’s an awesome truck. Little small in the rear seats but what do I know. I’m the driver. It rides smooth n shifts gears. I had the truck in the dealership once which was for a recall on the ecu flash. Didn’t really notice anything before the recall with nothing different afterwards. After much research I found out the upper control arms are junk. So I had a motofab 3 inch leveling kit installed which fixed it and gave my truck an overall nice look. Then after a month I didn’t like the gap of the stock tires so I dropped it off at a tire shop for new tires. Came out with 285/70R17LT instead of 265/70R17 so more aggressive tread with the Hercules tires with little to no road noise. Their was a bit of vibration around 120kms an hr I n the highway mainly due that the tires were not balanced in the 1st place. The metallic green paint makes the truck stand out since it’s constantly changing from light green to dark green depending on the time of day. The 5.3L has exceeded my exceptions in every way n on the highway I can go from 120/hr to 150/hr with in seconds. The transmission shifts smoothly even in the snow when the tires are catching grip. Like I say to everyone. Disconnect the battery for a few hrs or overnight n then hook it up in the morning. It’s a smart vehicle so it learns the driver. I had a 2017 F250 double cab n had nothing but issues. All in all this gmc truck I drive is the Cadillac of trucks.

51050