Used 2007 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Cookie Cutter interior
By Charles Gatewood

2007 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If you like cookie cutter interiors when it comes to colors then buy General Motors, I think people do it because that's all that's available. I have talk to people who think as I do the interior should be all one color, dashboard, headliner door panel steering wheel, seats, seat belts, carpet and roof support post. Back in the 70's I bought a 1973 Grand Prix Red On Red it even had a darker red Vinyl top everything inside the car was red. I took it in for service in 1975 and I fell in love with a 1975 Grand Prix that I saw on the showroom floor it was two tone Honduras red and Burgundy with a burgundy vinyl top the whole interior was Red I loved the looks of this car so much I ordered one I also ordered a Firebird for my wife beige with a light brown vinyl top and all beige interior. The Interiors and paint colors for most cars today are crap. I think Kia and Lincoln finally got it somewhat right I just bought a 2017 Kia Cadenza Limited Brown on Brown and I saw a Lincoln Navigator that was cream color with all brown Interior. Looks like some manufacturers are trying to bring it back where it should be GM should take notes.

Envoy Denali
By Laz Castellanos

2007 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If you are a GM fan you will love it, but if you are looking for an SUV that will satisfy your needs go for a Ford Explorer. My Denali is a 07 and I like it don't get me wrong but I should have bought the Explorer, let me start the comparison my Denali has a 4 spd tranny the Explorer 6 spd, Denali side air bags optional, Explorer standard, Denali 5 passenger SWB Explorer 6-7 passenger, Denali tech ok, Explorer excelent, Denali handling not the best, Explorer very good (I've driven one of my customers 08 Explore Limited), and the list goes on. The active fuel management on GM products it is garbage and Denalis come with it not mentioning the suspension noises here and there even after replacing every single suspension component. They are grate for long trips and ok for city driving. Guys I make my living repairing automobiles and my Envoy gets the best of the best for its maintenance but GM didn't put it right together. By the way if you go for the Explorer get the V8 (bullet proof engine) instead of the senseless V6 (1mpg more on the V8). The Denali has been working for me because I'm able to fix things my self and even as a technician I make mistakes purchasing vehicles but you don't have to.

They don't make them like this anymore!
By tireguy

2007 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A lot of people can't tell the difference between what they're calling full-size SUVs now, and what they called mid-size SUVs in the 90s, but there is a major difference. When the popularity of SUVs exploded in the 90sNow vehicles like the Pathfinder, Explorer, and Durango were based on truck frames, meaning the body basically bolts onto a ladder which has a big engine in the front, a transmission bolted behind it, and a driveshaft going to the rear axle. Now those same vehicles have much more in common with minivans than they do with trucks. Their construction is of a unitized body, which, rather than being a body bolted onto a proper backbone, is just a bit cluster of sheet metal with some stressed areas stamped with thicker stock. It saves weight, which in turn saves gas. In standard crash tests where it's the vehicle vs a concrete block, the safety compromise is negligible, but when two SUVs collide, one has massive beams spanning from bumper to bumper and a 500+ lb advantage in structural steel, and one has a body which is optimized for weight savings, how do you think that turns out? The powertrain is also different, going from a large longitudinal-mounted engine powering a rear axle and an optional front axle, to a small transverse-mounted engine with a combined transaxle powering the front with the rear being the option. So here you have the Envoy, the last of GMs mid-size SUVs possessing the guts of a truck. It's built on a ladder frame, with the same basic engine (5.3L V8), transmission (4L60E) and rear axle (GM 8.6" 10-bolt) as the Sierra/Silverado line of half ton pickups. It's an expensive way to build trucks, and GM abandoned it with the introduction of the Acadia/Traverse "SUVs." Most of the other mid-size SUVs, such as the Explorer, Pathfinder, and Durango have followed suit. Only the Toyota Four-Runner still uses a ladder frame. The true full-size SUVs (Suburban, Expedition, Land Cruiser) have retained the ladder frame, for now. As far as our Envoy Denali goes, it's a fun vehicle to drive. It's not especially spacious, not a fuel sipper, not the most luxurious, it's just a really cool vehicle for active people who don't have to carry a lot of stuff. Having owned this vehicle for seven years now, I did two modifications to make it suit our needs: first, I added a jump seat in the rear from littlepassengerseats.com, which made it into a six person vehicle while still retaining a decent amount of cargo space. And second, I installed a lift kit from BDS to allow larger tires. The Envoy Denali is the only vehicle I know of which came with 245/60R18s, meaning there is almost no selection, and certainly no truck/SUV tires. By raising it up 2 inches, and adding 1.5" wheel spacers, I was able to install the standard Chevy Silverado tires: 265/65R18. The vehicle looks awesome, but still stock to the casual observer. If you get the SLT, with the standard 17" tires, you'll have no problem finding tires, and the lift won't be necessary. Personally, I only got the Denali because I wanted that beautiful LS-variant V8 in the short body (305 hp based on the Corvette motor of the early 2000s). I was never really a fan of the bling, but love the bang. Toward the end, they did make some SLTs in that configuration, through they seem kind of rare. As far as major maintenance, it's needed nothing other than new rear suspension airbags at one point (about $200 each). It does have three annoyances, however: 1) the driver's door always made a "thunk" when going over large bumps, especially while turning left. 2) I've found the decapitated heads of three of the 10 exhaust manifold bolts on my garage floor throughout the years, all from corner positions--it's not leaking yet, but when it does, the job will be a real pain with that huge engine shoe-horned into that tiny compartment. 3) The Bose system makes a buzzing, interference sound from time to time, which goes away with a good whack of the center console. I can live with those minor issues.

WORST VEHICLE EVER !!! BEWARE OF GM/CHERVOLET !!!!
By Bill

2007 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Gave a 1 star because you have to pick something ! Purchased used with records, always in the shop ! Plagued by sensor, wheel bearing & rust issues ! That is just the start ! I will never buy another GM/Chevrolet product ! They do not stand by their vehicles ! 2007 GM Envoy has nothing but problems ! I do not usually write reviews, but felt that I had to try and save perspective buyers of the aggravation ! I'm selling my Envoy for 3k less just to get it out my driveway !

LOVE IT, but the wheel bearings
By bittymist

2007 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After testing the cars I wanted first,(a Nissan Maxima and a Buick Enclave, plus a few others) I decided to give this a try. The sales lady had me take it for a whole weekend. (I think I may have frustrated her with my pickiness!) Omg! This was the best suv and downgrading from a full size pickup to this wasn't much of a change either. I got a great deal and it had under 100000 miles, it will probably still run like a top after the next 100000 I put on it. Just one weakness other than the window regulator recall, wheel bearings go bad if you use 4x4 a lot, which I do, oh and they aren't serviceable you have to replace the hub assembly. Other than that this is better by far than I imagined.
UPDATE>>>going on my fifth year with this same vehicle and its still running strong, the straight 6 is amazing for my gas mileage and I am getting ready to roll over to 170000 miles still purring like a kitten. ALAS the hub assemblies every other year....rear wiper motor, window washer sprayer, and head lamp relay, only other problems so far;)