Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 377 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

FORD IS A 4 LETTER WORD!!!
By Eric Mass

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Buying the Freestyle was only the second time I bought a new car. I had much better experiences when I bought used cars. I kind of was suspicious that it only had a 3 year warranty on it. Come the 4th year the car would all of a sudden stop running. I had no power steering so it was hard to pull the car over to the side of the road. I don't remember what lead to what. This was back in 2009. I took it to a Ford dealer who said I needed a new transmission and that it would be $6000. At this time it was only 4 years old and ONLY HAD 28K MILES ON IT. I took it to another shop who used parts from the junkyard. However, they could not find a used xmission available. I suspect Ford was buying them up because THE NEW ONE THEY GIVE U IS NOT NEW BUT A REMANUFACTURED ONE!!! I remember seeing on Edmonds that a lawsuit had been started but I guess it didn't go no where. After that it has been pretty good. HOWEVER, a few years ago the dash electricity went out. I had no illumination, no gauges, no radio or air conditioning. (By the way I live in Florida.) The Ford repair shop told me I needed a new module which would be $700. I drove it for over a year w/o the repair. I filled my gas tank every two days to keep from running out. I only missed one time. I finally brought it in to repair something else and told them to fix the module. When I went to pick it up. They didn't replaced the module. That the technician thought of something to try before replacing it. Sure enough it fix it and didn't cost me anything. I unfortunately didn't ask what he did. A couple of years later it went out again. I took it back to where it was fixed before. However, the technician was no longer there. So I spent another year driving w/o gauges, radio, and A/c. I notice my battery wasn't holding a charge like it should. So I went and got a new battery. After I put it in, my dash electricity was back. So all I could figure is that the module was like a computer that has locked up. So just as u would reset a computer by cutting off the power to it and restarting it, I assume that was the same w this module. Its been working find for over a year. I will never own a Ford again. I tell people the name is a 4 letter "F" word. And if u don't want to "F'd" don't buy a Ford.

Horrible Vehicle
By Christine

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I fell in love with this car until I realized all the things that eventually started going out in this car were very hard to replace. Car shops look at this car as a nightmare. There are so many recalls on this car that you'll have your hands so full trying to replace everything that will be necessary. The transmission randomly went out on me without any signs and on top of that a simple transmission fix isn't a thing. It has a CVT Transmission and no one will work on it unless you want to haul it all the way to Cali. This car is crap. Get rid of it while you can.

Pain in the butt
By AngryFreestyler

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Car just keeps draining my pockets with repairs , pieces are mostly plastic which keeps breaking

Great concept, flawed design
By jag

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car used in 2007 with 27,000 miles. It now has 180,000 miles. Great vehicle for moving passengers and cargo. Used it for scuba, camping, astronomy, household movement. Good gas mileage and ride. Road noise above average. Achilles heel, probably why the model only lasted 3 years, are the transmission (and AWD), the environmental controls, and the plastic trim. Transmission is bad, frequently fails sometime in ownership requiring $2500 to $3000 fix to restore AWD. Fortunately it fails to front wheel drive with continuous traction warning light. Heating and air conditioning are very engine speed sensitive, essentially becoming inoperative while idle or at higher rpm than cruise. Plastic trim, especially bumper, fades, cracks, and breaks off despite preventive care. It would be a great car if it didn't have these flaws.

Freestyle still a reliable old car
By John

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Now 170,000 and 12 years old, the Freestyle has a barely functioning AC & heater. Replaced upper gasket. We only use it to drive to work 2 miles away, but it keeps on chugging away as the family junker. Don't trust it for long trips, but why get rid of it? Engine & trans work! Maybe we'll put $1,000 into the AC system and have a new car for awhile!