Used 2015 FIAT 500e Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 FIAT 500e Consumer Reviews

Battery Electric 0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive - (9 reviews )

nice commuter car, but not for a family
By tsaue

2015 FIAT 500e Battery Electric 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

If you're single and need something to get from A to B and happen to live in the city with access to a charging station either at home or near a chargepoint (where you have to pay) then this may be the car for you. I am a leasee of this and plan to drive it and give it back at the end of my 3 year stint, but I will have to say that you have to make compromises with this car. PROS/CONS as they come to me. Small, can park anywhere, stable up to about 80mph on highway, with the seats folded down you can fit a wide variety of items. If you have small kids, the back seat is great, if you are tall and an average sized adult you may have a lot of problems. You also can not carry a golf club bag in the back if you have those seats occupied, maybe just one 3 people in the car and have one seat folded down. Charging at 32A which is the max rated for this car will take about 3.5 hours to charge to full which isn't bad. I use this car to travel back and forth to work at around 35mi away, you can barely make it back. If had to take detours you may be stretching it. I've also noticed that the battery is degrading after driving it hard for about 1 year. If you plan to drive this for longer than 5 years you may not be able to reach the rated 80mi on a single charge. Be prepared to stop or have that charging card ready. With all the short comings, I do enjoy my drive in the car, but with all the SUVs out there if god forbid you get into an accident, you may get out alive, cause there's not many crumple zones. I would highly recommend this car in city situations, but probably look towards volt or battery capable car to get you places. I think my next car will be a bolt because 200mi range is the sweet spot and calms my range anxiety. Cause you know, sometimes you just gotta go far. Many folks will need to have a backup gas car to go further places, but this may be a good interim car. I have no idea why but the insurance on this thing is SUPER expensive in CA, and parts are as well. Factor that in if you ever do get into an accident. Remember guys and gals, EVs are still new and in a few years time you're going to see a lot of choices. My recommendation is to get this car if you need to tie you over or just save up and bye our friend's Elon's brand. Thanks for reading.

Fun city car, and very manageable in the 'burbs
By Janis Froehlig

2015 FIAT 500e Battery Electric 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Giving this a try as a "mom car." The biggest PITA is trying to use standard driving directions. Yes, highway mileage brings out what's probably the weakest point on the car. I've gotten my mileage estimate up to 110, but that's using my own hybrid of biking directions and knowing my way around both the roads and bike paths after having lived (relatively adventurously) in my city for 20 years. There's also a driving style adaptation; I'm a chronic speeder, and one of the reasons I got this car was to self-impose restrictions on that. Simply having the kWh display has been enlightening, to say the least. (All cars should have some sort of energy-burn display). If you drive a gas-powered car, be prepared for a change. It's a good one, but a shift none the less. *** For reference, the trunk size with the seats down is about the same size as my old Forester with one huge exception: the angle of the back of the car. I use my old trunk mat, but height in the back is so seriously lacking I'm thinking of removing the interior of the trunk panel just for the added couple inches. ***
Visibility from inside the car is why I bought this. It's not as good as older cars with nice big windows and narrow frames, but it's better than any of the other eCars I drove. I've given up on being visible to other drivers, frankly, so... this one is great on agility, and the horn is loud enough while still having a polite staccato. Traction in <4" of snow, on ice, and in the rain is the best I've owned (but also the newest). *** It's really fun. Charging stations are popping up in new places, I'm saving a car-payment's-worth in gas and oil changes, I can whip a u-turn right on the street and nab a really tiny parking space, and getting service simply having a newer car, even with Chrysler-FIAT, is a whole lot better than trying to fight for cred driving an older car.

Poorly made vehicle with horrible service
By Nicholas C

2015 FIAT 500e Battery Electric 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Poorly made vehicle, looked nice in the beginning but after like a year or so of use, things start going horribly. Wheels were worn out with only about 10k of use. and the tires are not cheap. What i was told by a fiat mechanic is that everybody at fiat knows the electric car is heavy and the tires they have don't last that long. If everybody knows, why wasn't i disclosed of this before the lease? If i had known i would need to replace my tires twice during the lease, i would have said no. then the headlights went out on year 2 and had to have those replaced. When i tried to complain about the crazy situation, Chrysler was like, we'll look into it and call you back, never called back, after a while i gave up. Multiple times with customer services and not one time were my problems resolved.

Great Electric Car. Fun to drive.
By Joseph

2015 FIAT 500e Battery Electric 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I recommend this car to anyone that is looking for a car that feels like it came from the distant future of the automotive industry. We purchased a used Fiat 500e and we are very happy with it. We test drove about 8 Fiat 500e at different dealerships until we found one that we liked. We studied the car and read many reviews before making the choice to buy the car. The battery is the most expensive part of the car and Fiat provides an 8 year or 100,000 mile warranty on the battery.

Fiat 500e is really fun driving machine
By FLJeff

2015 FIAT 500e Battery Electric 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I purchased a used low mileage 2015 Fiat 500e a couple of months ago and was so impressed with how it handles that I purchased another for my sister. These cars are a real steal on the used car market. I live in South Florida where it is warm and flat and generally have been getting over 100 miles of range (EPA 87). A Fiat 500 in general is not the most practical car but if you want something really fun to drive, this is it. This car handles very similar to my former Mini Cooper but without the gas.
UPDATE: I'm still very happy with my Fiat 500e after more than one year of ownership. Additionally, I have had excellent service from the Fiat Dealership (Arrigo) in West Palm Beach, when I have brought the car in for some minor items and software updates which were covered under Warranty.