Used 2003 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Anything but this car
By Jake

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an absolute mess. I bought this car my senior year in high school, and it has been nothing but a headache. I bought it used from a guy, and within two days the thing was overheating. I replaced the whole coolant system myself, only to find out that it was the head gasket, so I put in a new engine. Then it was the struts that I had to replace. Then it was the ball joints. Then it was the control arms. Then the battery which do I even dare to say that the dang thing is under the wheel well on the driver side, so you have to take the wheel off to get to it. After 6 months of tampering with everything, it was okay for a while until the electicity started to go out. Both windows on the passenger side don't go down, the driver side window went off track, and now the power steering is even acting up. The car only has at this point 160,000 miles. After all of the repairs, I paid 2300 for the car and then another 2000 to fix all the crap, and Ill only get about 600 for it. Interior design is nice. Very roomy. But in the end it is not worth it. Invest into a different vehicle. Please. For your own sake.

Love this car
By MB

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ive had this car for about 2 years baught from a used car shop in very good shape out of the 2 years ive had it only have had to change the spark plugs and plug wires and oil so i think its been a damn good car and i love it

Biggest POS I have owned
By KRIS

2003 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new Dodge Stratus from Chapman Autoplex in Scottsdale back in 2003. Traded a leased car in and ended up buying a new Dodge Stratus. This car was in and out of the shop the entire time I owned it. Factory warranty covered very few of the repairs and the extended warranty didnt cover anything. Airbag light went on and horn quit working at 20,000 mi. By 42,000 mi I already had to replace all of my brakes-drums, everything. My struts and shocks went bad at 60k, transmission was starting to give me trouble and car was not running well at 4 yrs old. Car got totaled by a drunk driver (thankfully) in '08 and airbag didnt go off and it should have. Will never buy another Dodge again. I currently have a Kia Soul...90k miles, hardly any trouble, just got brakes replaced and this car has been 20x better than the Dodge Stratus.

2003 Dodge Stratus RT 5 speed
By Sean

2003 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car which I purchased used with around 19k miles in 2005 for about $14k. Ten years later with 196529 Miles it's still purring. Replaced clutch only once few thousand miles ago and little to no repairs... mostly just usual and simple maintenence. This car is simple as it has no ABS or any high tech which I actually prefer; I have a removable gps and CD player with blutooth which is all I need; no expensive electronics to break and worry about spending lots of money on. The dashboard has curled up years ago from sun exposure but whatever... No big deal anymore. My suspension went and it's a rough ride and rattles and shakes on rough roads, as something went, but I can't exactly pin it down and it's not in my opinion worth the money or headache to repair. I can deal with it as I have gotten used to it and its not that bad.

I've had this car ten years @ one third of my life so that says a lot about how much I like the car, it's dependability and me not wanting to buy another as I purchased it in full @ about $14k and never had car payments... Who wants car payments?

Also, the cloth driver seat is in rough shape but that is to be expected with all these Miles. It burns a some oil too which is pretty typical for an old car with this many miles; not worth fixing now as I'll just cheap oil.

I drive this car for work very hard and with this manual transmission I've never had any real issues, repairs or anything go wrong which would go wrong with an automatic. I'm forever staying with manual transmissions.

Great vehicle

Looks good, decent mpg, cheap to keep and simple
By nadylynn

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 03 Stratus with 56000 miles a corp lease well maintained records, 136000 now, only repairs were rear shocks and brakes, did timing belt service at 115000, it's been very cheap to keep. Not very fast but the iron block 4 cyl engine keeps going no leaks or oil usage between oil changes. Trans serviced every 35000 miles still shifts smoothly. So far so good our 03 Altima bought new only has 80000 and has had about 7 repairs so far 2 no starts, mostly engine elec.