Used 2017 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sonic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A Amazing Sporty Battle Tank With That Luxury Feel

Christopher Vizcarra, 04/20/2017
LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic LT (Auto) RS Hatchback and added the Convenience & Drivers Confidence Packages to match the goodies of the Premier Trim. There is a reason why I chose the trim I chose; the Hatchback only comes in 2 trims, the LT & Premier, there is a slight difference between the two trims. The LT has an amazingly quiet cabin equal to the highest trim of a $70k+ luxury vehicle, while the Premier has a more lowered suspension and as a result the Premier's cabin is not as quiet. The automatic can also be driven in manual mode without the annoying clutch pedal! The Performance is amazingly sporty for both engines as they both easily pounces from a stop. When applying the breaks it also comes to a smooth stop and when applied quickly It's very fast too! If you want a car that is amazingly quiet and caters to the highest safety standard's, quality and convenience of a luxury car and at the same time not only looks sporty but actually is sporty with the attitude to show inside and out, this is a car worth test driving with the optional packages I have chosen. I call it my mini Lambo because it sits and pampers you like one yet its silent but deadly. It takes Unleaded gas and I get 30-35 MPG with mixed driving, now If you drive it sporty and have fun you will get about 24- 28 mpg which is still amazing. There is a reason this car has muscled It's way into the sports car scene and has been officially recognized. It is the only car so far to get a 5 star rating, the highest across all ratings for the Institute of Highway Safety Standards for such a small car. Everything in the car from the smallest button to the engine, inside and out is amazingly built and solid. You can tell that Chevrolet takes pride in every part of the car even to the smallest stitch. Take a test drive with the optional packages I have chosen and you will see that Chevrolet has built this amazingly rare gem to prove you don't have to spend a fortune to be pampered. I sure hope that this particular model will continue for years to come. There are many mixed reviews about this car in particular often nit-picking at it It is best to go and test drive it.

great value

No name given, 03/03/2017
LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought it and have not regretted it. It is an inexpensive car, but has great technology and drives well for a small car. I also think it is a good looking car.

Great Surprise

sogo, 11/05/2019
Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Sonic hatch back has more passenger & cargo room than the new 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback. The Sonic LT/RS comes with power drivers seat and heated seats and remote start. You have to go to the Corollas XSE model to get these features. The Sonic comes with a sunroof not available in the Toyota. The Sonic has a turbo charged cast iron engine with a 6 speed automatic. The corolla does not offer a turbo and has a cvt transmission that has been recalled. The sonics 7 inch screen is built in where the corollas looks slapped on. The sonic electric steering is better than the Toyotas... The ride is also surprisingly better than the corollas. Visibility is better in the chevy Sonic. The sonic cost less than the Toyota and is built in America. The sonic has a larger back window and can hold more upright luggage. The Sonic is quieter inside the a Mercedes S class. The one issue I have is the sonic lacks a temp gauge. Why?

Blue Fire

C. D. Willoughby, 01/15/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car I bought was a Chevy Sonic (four door Kinetic Blue Sedan) and it's so cool looking. I've gotten compliments on it already. It drives well and I love the bluetooth features. Plus it's great on gas.

Catchy Title

Mack, 12/29/2017
LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Nice car for an "inexpensive" car. Would not want to drive it long distances on the expressway but is a reliable car;

Straight LEMON

I was sold a lemon, 07/25/2019
LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2017 sonic in June 2017 and as of today July 2019 I've only had it 2 years first owner and I have been to back and forth to the dealer 4 times all less than 30 days or 20 days apart for the same problem engine light on and the car cuts off whenever I'm at a red light, stop sign or just sitting in traffic while in drive. It just went back to the dealer 07/3/2019 for the same issue and jerking while at a stop and they told me the diagnosis machine read no problem so they did nothing. Now it's 07/24/2019 and the freakin car has been jerking at every stop engine light back on and cut off on me and my baby st night while driving on the parkway. CHEVY SOLD ME A LEMON AND MY CAR HAS ON 14,668 MILES WITHIN THE 2 YEARS OF HAVING IT. ACTION IS GETTING READY TO BE TAKEN AGAINST THEM WITH THE LEMON LAW SUIT. I WILL NEVER INVEST IN ANYTHING CHEVYBIN MY LIFE AND I DON'T RECCOMEND ANYONE ELSE TO PURCHASE EITHER

Lemon

Alissa Cook, 01/07/2019
LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Do NOT buy a Sonic. I’ve had two and both cars have been an absolute headache. The first car didn’t even last 5 years with numerous issues. The second is a 2017 and already is having me back and forth to the dealership who has done NOTHING. Always back with the same issue. This shouldn’t be happening with a brand new vehicle. The first car was costing me $400 extra every few months and this one is still under warranty for 20,000 miles but I’ve been back three times since Thanksgiving for a camshaft issue. I will NEVER buy a Chevy again till the day I die.

A Proper Car at a Proper Price

F. Gallagher , 10/14/2019
Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

55K on my Sonic Premier and absolutely no issues at all. It has the 1.4 ltr turbo which has more power than most cars in this segment. The Apple/Google Car Play is nice on the big screen. I use Waze or Google Maps for Navigation. The Stereo is surprisingly good at this price. It feels solid in your hands at the wheel. The brakes after 55K still feel the same, very good. I bought it because my Dad asked me to give an American car made by American's a chance. I have not had any regrets.

Sonic Surprise!

kalli, 01/11/2020
Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a 2017 Sonic Premium Turbo Sedan used with 46,000 miles on it. I have 66,000 miles on it now. The car is fun to drive, has a peppy motor as far as acceleration goes (that's the turbo). The seats are amazingly comfortable for a little car (i've owned pontiacs so this was nice). I owned an Acadia before I downgraded but didn't suffer in the convenience department with a premium. I have heated seats, heated steering wheel and plush seating. Husband and I have had SUVs before and this is our first "car" together and it is a cramped car for two grown adults. It is hard to grocery shop, even though it has ample trunk space it doesn't seem to fit a lot of stuff. The low profile tires are cheap and I had one bubble on me that was a factory tire. I also had to replace the water pump after mysteriously losing heat and the engine overheating (no temp gauge so I was freaking out about cracking an aluminum head). This is a problem with the Sonics as I researched. It is a rough ride due to the smaller diameter tires and rims. I've considered switching them out. Also, parking is great BUT almost everyone owns a SUV or a big truck where I'm from so you cannot see anything nor can they see me. It's like I'm an ant. There's a lot of road noise in the back seat area. I don't expect luxury from a car I paid $10k for. I am looking for another vehicle to better suit our needs at this point, but I would recommend it for a single person who commutes! Before you buy one, drive over a bumpy surface and also, remember the water pump. It cost about $300 incl. labor to replace. I love cars and I've owned a lot of them and drove a lot, husband was also a valet so he has driven lots of cars and was impressed by this lil car. And if you buy one make sure it has the Turbo, I test drove one without it and was like, just throw the car away. Thank you for reading, hope it helps you.

Cruze

Craig, 01/10/2018
Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car for the price

Hilarious Vehicle

Archi Gaebel, 08/11/2017
Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Sonic Turbo Premier is hilarious to drive (for a day or two) while my ten year old BMW X3 is in the shop for age-related repairs and maintenance. "Hilarious" as in "It's a joke", not it's actually fun to drive. First off, my 10 year old Bimmer, worth about half of what you can buy this Chevy Sonic for, still vastly outperforms it and is a ton more fun to drive and feels safer to boot. So much for "Would I ever consider owning this vehicle?". The answer is a resounding NO! Why not? I mean first impressions are of this car are not so bad. The exterior styling is not crazy or terrible. It is not good either. It just is. The Sonic sedan has a very basic, neutral car shape, the kind you get when you ask a toddler to draw a car. It is somewhat narrow and short but tall when compared to our BMW 328i, almost like Chevy took a Malibu and just trimmed off some excess fat on the sides, rear and front. The cabin is not a terrible place for an econo box. It appears roomy enough, has quite a few gadgets, buttons and a touch screen (in this trim level) and the plastics LOOK decent. All of these judgements, however, vanish when you start driving it. While there is plenty of headroom, even for tall people, legroom is cramped, not just in the back but also annoyingly in the driver seat. I am six foot tall and my legs are too long for a comfortable use of the left foot rest or the accelerator and brake pedals when I adjust the seat to allow a normal arm distance to the steering wheel. (Gorillas with really long arms might do better.) Visibility is not great either. Although the windshield is large, the short stubby hood just vanishes from view and it is very difficult to get a feel for where the front of the car starts. Rear visibility and right side visibility is severely compromised by the enormous headrests (which clearly come from a full size truck and take up most of the airspace of this small car). Once you start touching the visually decent plastic trim you realize that it is not the softer, richer material it masquerades as, but very cheap, basic hard plastic straight from a Yugo. But now to the truly hilarious part of driving this car, its performance. I drove it mostly in town with speed limits around 45 miles per hour. At first I thought I was going way too fast until a look at the speedometer informed me that I was actually chugging along about five miles below the speed limit! The car feels strained and bothered when driven at speeds greater than 35 - 40 mph. Still this is not yet the most fun you can have with the Sonic Turbo. Go find an empty stretch of road without speed bumps (like the access road to my work's parking lot) and floor it. I did just that, going about 30 mph I floored the accelerator and ... absolutely NOTHING happened for at least a second, then the little beast huffed and puffed and lurched forward at the breakneck speed of 40 mph, I almost died laughing. This lack of performance is unfortunately less laughable when you have to pull out into heavy, fast-moving traffic, then just pray a Rosary (or two) while you wait for any acceleration to quick in ...

great for what we need

jessie michael cutler, 02/01/2020
LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

it's a great car. Can do all that we need it to do. It has no problems. Thanks

An fun and safe sub compact, with a catch.

Andrew M., 06/04/2020
LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Sonic for around three years. The seats are comfortable, the dash is modern. It is equipt with an infotainment center which poweres some lacking, but alright, sounding speakers. It has a smooth ride, as well as a very well build set of struts and shocks. The brakes are more than adequate, even when you decide to drive it more aggressively than usual! My specific model has the 1.8l inline four, it isn't the largest nor the most powerful motor, but it can be fun at times! I enjoy knowing that I, as well as my passengers, are safe. The full surround airbags truly give you an unparalleled sense of security. Now for the bad It treated me great, with the occasional visit to a shop for minor repairs. First the rear brake drums locked up while driving in icy conditions. Next, my driver side weather strip pulled away while I was on the freeway. This caused some minor body damage. The stock speakers lack depth of sound, and the infotainment center appears to lack the power necessary to drive better aftermarket speakers. The pump to my windshield wiper nozzles completely failed. The fuses that controlled my radiator fan failed, causing my vehicle to overheat. As it is a smaller displacement engine, it runs quite a bit hotter than its larger counterparts. As the fan was not engaging, the engine overheated. This could have made the engine fail. I have had several coil packs replaced, as they stopped working in rapid succession. As I am typing this, I am still waiting for an appointment to a local shop to fix yet another faulty pack. This has all happened 40,000 miles into its life. As this car was purchased new, I know that it has been very well maintained. My verdict? I might have purchased a lemon, these things do happen. When it runs, it runs well and drives like a dream. When it doesn't, it gets towed to a shop. I'd recommend seeking a other vehicle.

51050