Used 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews

$26,997

Used Silverado 2500HD for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

they don't build em like they use to

Tom G, 10/08/2016
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I actually have the 2016 2500hd Duramax LTZ (not one of the choices) and with about 30K miles. I drive some dusty roads and like having a camper shell to normally keep things dry and clean, but the bed has so many holes designed in for weight reduction that dust comes into the bed in buckets. My previous 2006 chevy 1500 had a solid bed and I could sleep in the bed with out a dust mask, not this truck. They have left big gaps around the tailgate that water and dirt comes and I have tried to add gaskets to seal up gaps but nothing really works. The truck drives ok but the recommended tire pressure at 75psi rear has the back end dancing on every bump when not loaded. I lower the tire pressure when not hauling, and it helps, but the tire pressure sensor goes off. The seats are much stiffer that my 06 due to the heat/cooling function but I rarely use that function. Lots of AC, DC, USB connections which are handy and, except for the almost useless Navigation system, most of the electronics features are good. The lane departure feature is nice as is the backup camera. The body is just not that well built if one uses the truck for other than a city commuter. After a couple years of use the previous comments are still relevant plus: I don't like the DEF alert that doesn't indicate the fluid level it only says "OK" until its NOT then you run the risk of decreased speed until the DEF tank is filled. If you are away from services (like in the middle of Nevada or Canada) you can get stuck with speed limitations till the DEF is refilled. Also, I had an occasion where a wire from a sensor came loose and touched the manifold causing the computer to decrease engine output putting me in a dangerous situation on a mountain highway with an engine that didn't have the power to pull a hill. had to have the truck towed 50 miles for a 5 minute repair. The On-Star feature was helpful getting me towed but makes one wonder what problems are laying in wait and how the computer will limit the truck's function. After 2 years all the above is still sadly in place. I only have 25000 miles as this is a pleasure vehicle for me but on recent 2000mi trip towing my toy hauler around the western states I again had DEF warnings while in the middle of Nevada, very concerning. Also I got 9MPG towing mostly on freeways, not very impressive. I still hate that everything I put in the bed under my camper shell gets dusty. Once again the lack of a DEF dip stick or any way to know the fluid level until its too late, caught me again out in the sticks while touring in the back country telling me I had 230 miles till reduced speed. GM offered a $150 update for the nav system but they didn't suggest that it would make the system useable (which it isn't) it was just a updated map package. One complaint I have is that I can't navigate to a town. The system keeps asking for a POI or address or a previous location, often I just want to go to Redding or Ashland and system is no help. I'm not paying to upgrade the maps when I can just use Google maps on my phone for free.

Awesome Truck

TXGREEK, 10/04/2016
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in my 2014 LTZ z71 for big brother for reasons: Safety, fuel savings on highway, awesome pulling power, build quality, ergonomics, and great fun driving it. In addition to all these attributes I love buying the last model year cause you know you've gotten everything working properly after it's been out multiple years. I'll be interested in the newer one once everyone else has been used as Guinea pigs working out the glitches of the newer ram air version lol. Overall, this is a high quality badass truck!

Been a great truck so far

Ron, 08/05/2016
Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Even for a work Truck I keep finding great features. Truck runs and rides great. Tows great. (Not going to cry about warranty like somepeople) fwiw only the duramax comes with 100k power train warranty. Truck looks great, runs great. Only negative is it seems to shift a lot. 6-speed over my old 4 speed maybe. Edit: 3 years into it 40k on the odo. Still working like the day I bought it. I tow regularly with it and it satisfies all my needs in a truck.

The trucks been back to the dealership for times,

Russ, 07/21/2017
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

It has a grinding noise in the front end. I've called Jim four times they don't want to help me finish the deal or four times all I want is somebody to fix it and I can't seem to get GM to fix it they tell me to roll my window up and turn the radio up

GIVE ME A LADDER AND RAISE THE DRIVER OPENING

THOMAS SANQUINI, 01/19/2017
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Silverado in 20 years. I have arthritis especially in my neck it is increasingly difficult for me to get into the drivers seat because the door opening is tight for me. My wife on the other hand is only 5'4" so she has to climb into the passenger seat.She is getting the hang of using the double step nerf bar we added . This 2016 is about 5 inches higher off the ground than my 2008 was. On the other hand the handling and fuel efficiency blows the 2008 away. So the trade off was worth the inconvenience of climbing in and out of the cab.

Electronic issues

LarryC, 09/25/2017
Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck in 2016. A few months later the radio would not turn on at all when I cranked the vehicle up. Stopped at a dealership to have it checked out. When they cranked it up again, it went back to working. This has happened multiple times over the past few months and has progressively gotten worse. Now not only is the radio not coming on sometimes, the fuel gauge will mess up and the check engine light will come on. I have taken it to have it fixed under the warranty and called Chevy's customer care line and have gotten nothing done. The dealership says they can't find anything wrong with it, that nothing is showing on the computer, but you put a reader on it or take it AutoZone and have their reader on it and multiple codes show up. This seems to be a definite electric issue and no one wants to fix it. They are all satisfied to wait on the warranty to run out then find out what is wrong with it and charge me. I have also noticed that the transmission is starting to stumble a bit. I bought the truck with a lift kit already installed and less than a year later the ball joints need replacing but the dealership can not or will not order the right ball joints to replace them.

side mirrors are awful

FC, 12/20/2017
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Update: I posted this review a year ago, and continue to stand by my position. I purchased new bigger mirrors and had them installed. The mirror has the bottom quarter, closer to the door, cut off, to look cute and edgy. It is a faulty design, and they need to stop making mirrors like this for trucks. It makes it horrible to back the truck to park as I can't see the hind wheels nor the parking line. I have to open my window, after I park, to see where the tires are in relation to the lines. And when driving, I can't see the hind wheels EVER. The engineer that designed this, and whoever approved it, need to stop. Trucks need bigger mirrors, not smaller! Who would think that making a large truck's mirrors smaller (as opposed to the whole rectangle) was a good idea? I contacted Chevrolet, and they asked if I had been using the camera to help me back up. My response was yes, but the camera doesn't give me a view of the tires/wheels either. Looking into buying a new pair of mirrors. The truck rides hard, not very comfortable. But that’s somewhat expected for a vehicle that should be strong for towing.

Duramax fan

Duramax Fan, 06/30/2018
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the second Diesel GM pickup I own. I use it as my everyday vehicle but I specifically bought it for long range driving trips and towing a camper. For long range trips and towing, you cannot beat the Duramax/Allison transmission combination. I had my last truck for over 10 years and 165000 miles and it still ran and looked great. I am hoping to get the same out of this one.

High times in my High Country

G. H., 12/19/2018
High Country 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle was researched for the better part of 6 months. Finally decided to move forward with the purchase in November. Best decision I ever made. Riding High and putting it through the paces of everyday use.Not disappointed at all. Definitely got what I wanted and paid for it.

Why I did not buy

Eric Smith, 05/10/2016
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a ram 2500 because Chevy/gmc dropped powertrain warranty from 100,000 to 60,000 (to save the consumer money). If General Motors doesn't stand behind there product than neither can I. Mind you this was the first truck I have had that was not a Chevy or gmc.

Happy with it

bill muldoon, 08/30/2016
Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Mostly a towing monster

Thomas S., 10/26/2018
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Great diesel truck. Have gotten up to 29 mpg on 130 mi round trip on hilly terrain 2 people 2dogs with kayaks in bed. Pulling 33' 5th wheel thru AZ, CO and NM is amazing! 10000' mtn's no problem using tow haul and Jake brake removes the white knuckles of a lesser vehicle. Towing mpg depends of course on grade and wind expect 8 to 14. Around town 17 is the easy does it norm at 2500' elev. It is hard for shorter people to get in and to see over the steering wheel. Wife is 5' 6" and visibility for her is poor, even if you had pwr seats. As has been mentioned def fluid must be monitored thru mileage and the fill spot and the tank (under the passenger side) is not ideal. Before this I had a turbo ford f150 which is more comfortable seats and driving position but the power and mpg of this 2500 makes this better for the big pulls.

51050