Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...23

Pros
Cons

Looks great, lots of problems big and small

arnoldthepig, 01/05/2014
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2014 1lt Crew Cab with 5.3L and 3.08 gears now with 2800 miles. I would not recommend this truck to anyone unless you have time to deal with issues GM does not want to address properly. The transmission is lazy on the upshift and wants to put itself in the highest gear possible, the fm radio reception is very poor and jumps in and out of HD, I have a freezing cold draft coming from under my center console, the 4wd switch makes a loud electrical whining sound when in 4wd, I get some type of driveline shudder under hard acceleration and once I hit 70+ mph, the ride and handling fall apart and give way to some type of unknown vibration! 1/6/14 will be the second trip to dealer

25,000 mile review

Stephen, 11/11/2015
Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have not been pleased with my new Chevy Silverado. I've had a couple of Chevy trucks before and had positive experiences. My truck required replacement of the front differential at around 10,000. It was replaced and the truck ran fine, like it did when it was new. But within one long ski trip it was whining again upon return. My second time in, the service manager claimed they couldn't hear the whine but also conlcluded that I was driving too much in AWD. (Auto mode) and that that was breaking the front diff. My argument that that in the Pacific Northwest, you need to drive in AWD a lot was deemed invalid. Anyway, my service experience has continued to decline. Electronic gremlins with the nav/infotainment system and parking sensors have persisted. The service departments don't want to take the keys if it's not malfunctioning in their service bay. Came in after a road trip where my nav/radio was crashing every 5 minutes, for a full day. Had it on video malfunctioning. My new dealership service dept actually laughed at me and said that if it wasn't doing it now , that he didn't know why I had a problem with it. I've taken the truck to several different dealerships for different issues both in Oregon and now in North Carolina and have had consistently bad experiences. Plus, I feel the truck is too new to have multiple, potentially expensive issues. I've vowed to get rid of the truck, not because of its failings but because of the consistently horrible service. On the good side, when everything is working, it's a great truck. The nav is difficult to use when alone and the voice recognition can't recognize anything I say. Always use OnStar now. But it's very comfortable and incredibly quiet despite having off road tires. The gas mileage is much better than I expected. Better than anything I'd replace it with, I think. If you were getting a basic model, fewer electronics, especially with 2WD, I think it would probably be a decent vehicle. I did get rid of this truck in less than a year, because of a faulty parking sensor issue. Crazy, I know, but I could not get any GM service department to take me seriously. The story was always the same and I heard it said to others as well while in waiting rooms. That the truck's problem could be caused by more than one source. They could not diagnose the problem without replacing parts and could not replace the parts without a certainty of diagnosis. A frustrating Catch22. The day before I traded it in, I took it in one last time and begged them to seriously check it out. Told them they could really do the next owner a huge favor by really trying to fix it. They took it in for 10 minutes and gave me the same story. BTW I bought an SUV. It has full time AWD. I've put 30,000 miles on it this year, no busted front diffs. :-)

It Shakes

cobaltguy2, 06/02/2014
High Country 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My 2014 High Country is 3 months old. It is an exceptional vehicle everywhere but in the highway ride. At 65-70 miles an hour there is a very noticeable shake in the vehicle. It has been to the dealers 3 times and they have changed everything but the tail lights. This is my 4th Chevy truck and I have never even had any issues until this truck. I would not buy this truck until they get it right

Safety Problem - rear head restraints in crew cab

jef14silverado, 01/07/2014
Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very nice truck with a significant safety issue if you need adults to ride in the back seat. The head restraints do not move up high enough to protect someone over about 5'3" during a rear end impact. My 2005 Sierra crew cab had restraints that moved up considerably higher. I registered a complaint with safercar.gov and emailed a complaint to Chevy Customer Service. I have also written a letter to Chevy explaining my complaint. I did receive a response to my email saying thanks for the feedback and it will be taken into consideration in future designs. This is unacceptable. I and others have the unsafe current model. If I would have realized this, I would have bought the Ram.

New Model Year - Unreliable

pclay, 01/18/2014
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Our new 2014 Silverado is good looking, very comfortable and fun to drive. Unfortunately it has been plagued with several problems which detract from the good points. For example, the truck has had starting problems during cold weather which would make us very hesitant to drive very far from home during winter months. Also, if you were used to, say, a 2010 Silverado and used remote start, the 2014 acts very differently. Our 2010 would quickly warm the cab and heated seats but the 2014s' seats will not feel ward to the touch although Chevrolet says that they do come on. Features advertised such as blue LED lighting behind the radio knobs do not work.

12345...23