Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

My 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Experience
By champyun

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

For the step up from work truck to LT, this truck is everything the normal truck owner would need. I was very happy for the 4.5 years I owned this vehicle and never will waver from buying Chevy again.

Reliable truck
By James Crawford

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB w/2WT (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Handles everything I throw at it. Pretty good on gas if I keep it light on the accelerator and in the bed. Handles loads well and towes great. I tow a two horse trailer (about 7,000lb) on a gooseneck and it handels well. A little noisy on hills, and pretty thirsty (11 mpg) (its the v8 version too, it wasn’t an option in the model selection). But gets the job done. Seats are comfortable, for a work truck. Vinal footwells are the best.

Now Have 110,000 miles on it
By mr. bunny rabbit

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The only problem I've had with my truck is the oil pump going out at 68,000 miles. Drove it on in to the dealership as instructed, they repaired it under warranty, and haven't had another problem with it. Nothing, not one item. I bought my 2010 LT Z71 with the same engine and never had a problem with it, either. I think perhaps some of the problems people have had with the fuel management system is their driving style. I run my truck hard, like a sports car. I accelerate quickly, I am prone to exceeding the speed limit, regretfully, and generally work it hard. I usually trade my truck in at 100k, but I decided to keep this one a little longer. I've told many people it's the best truck I've ever owned, including a flawless Tundra. The LTZ package has everything you could ever want, and the truck has an amazing ride, even with 38 psi in the front tires and 35 in the rear. My best recorded 25 miles for mpg was 34. Changed the battery out and it reset my previous high to zero, so my latest high was 27. Keep in mind this is drafting 18wheelers and letting off the gas while going down hills, no cruise, and keeping the speed at 55. So, when I figure out just how high I can get the mpg, I start the running it hard again. I found that highway tires help the mpg a lot. The mud and snow tires I have on it now are marginal on mpg. The All Terrain tires were ok but not as good as the mud and snow tires. I take the truck to the hunting camp and it's barely functional on the deep holes because of the low front end, so I wish I'd bought an LTZ Z71 package, but they're hard to find and they have a lesser discount in our market. As for the V8 to V4 fuel management shift, it takes some getting used to. At first I didn't really know what was going on, but figured it out with time. It downshifts a little rough on occasion, a slight clunk, but no big deal, yet. Service: I've taken it to the dealer every time the oil has been changed, and things have been great there with them. Will I buy another one ? I'm not real sure at this point. Having a fairly deep loyalty to Chevy, my experience with Toyota has been acceptable, and the resale value is higher, but I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day, so the mpg factor comes into play. You just can't beat the 327 c.i. 5.3 liter setup on this truck with any other V8. It tows my tractor great, and has done pretty much everything I need it to do. And, it's made by an American company.

Engine failure at 77,000 miles
By Mary

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a High Country Truck. I loved my truck, some minor issues until now. My engine went out 3 weeks ago. I had to get it towed to a GM dealer to look at. The first place I went to was a local repair shop and he called me to tell me that the engine failed so we had to bring to GM dealership to have it fixed under warranty. He suggested a new engine! At 77,000 miles this should not happen. I change my oil every 5,000 miles, but because I do not always go to a Chevy dealer to have my oil changed they keep questioning me about it. Well the dealers take 2 hours to get an oil change done and many times I do not have that much time to wait for an oil change. So after 5 days sitting at the dealership, they had the engine guy that deals with the top of the engine look at it. He could not find anything, so then I had to wait another week to have the bottom engine guy to look at it. Turns out that my lifters went bad. So they replaced the lifter that was causing Cylinder 7 to misfire. They have a bulletin on this issue, but no recall. Really if you have a bulletin there are enough people having this issue. I happen to work with someone who has the same exact truck and the same thing happened to them. They replaced the left side active fuel lifters and the valve oil lifter along with the manifold, and gaskets. I have asked for an extended warranty on the engine because of this and GM will not do it. So that tells me that they do not have enough faith in their engines to warranty it in case this happens again. The manager this morning had the audacity to tell me that I do not change my oil enough because they only had so many done at the dealership. That not changing the oil enough causes this. This was my 3rd Chevy truck and probably my last due to their inability to give me confidence in their product. So now I am so worried that it will happen after warranty and I will have a huge repair bill.

Please everyone never buy a chevy again !
By Don Boatwright

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado and I've only had it for about a year and a couple months I bought it certified used with only 32000 miles and I got it from Nimnicht Chevy and and pretty much ever since I got the truck I had issues six months after I bought the truck my AC went out so I thought it was a problem I could fix I replaced the valve and after a couple more months it leaked out again so I was working then I lost my job so I need in my truck to drive back and forth to look for a job so I didn't have enough time to take my truck to the shop to get it fixed so I just kept refilling it with refrigerant then after that I got a job and then my wife got one so she needed the truck to drive back and forth from work so then I didn't have enough time to take it up to the shop again and then finally a few days ago I had a major electrical issue I went and got gas turn my truck off right when I went to go turn the truck back on all the power in my truck completely went out I couldn't crank it I didn't have a radio I didn't have in cab lights nothing like I didn't even have a battery hooked up I read up and looked up some videos and found out there is a common issue with a ground wire that's on the in side between the dash and the a-pillar so I pulled that out and what do you know I didn't even have a nut on the driver side ground so I put a note on it then now I had power but still the lights were flicking the locks were going up and down and I still couldn't crank it I got it towed to my house check the battery it was pumping out 12.6 volts and it passed the battery test so that was fine I let it charge up overnight and I still couldn't get a jump off of it and I still couldn't charge it up enough to where it would crank and I was still having electrical issues so I get it towed to Garber Automall the Chevy side so that way they can take a look at it and before all this I called GM to let them know what issues I was having and told them I couldn't pay for it it only has 48000 miles on it it should not be having these issues and that they need to pay for it they said they will get it diagnosed all I had to pay was the Diagnostics fee which was $95 which that's fine I can do that but then come to find out they said there's something wrong with the battery which like I said before there was nothing wrong so that's $326 to put in a battery that's ridiculous and there is also a big malfunction with the stabilitrac that snatched the wheel out my hand as i was making a turn on the highway and almodt made me wreck ! Twice ! And then they said they fixed the AC and try to get ahold of GM GM said that they weren't going to help out with the AC either so now that's another $1,000 so all together for problems that's not my fault that's because of this piece of crap truck that I bought from a company that I thought I knew and loved and that I thought was going to help me because none of these are my fault it's all because of the truck I come to find out they won't take care of any of it so I have to pay $1,300 out of my pocket to get my truck back! So now I am very very pissed and also I do AutoGlass and work on a bunch of vehicles a lot of them are Chevy and since Chevy won't take care of this issue that is clearly their fault because of the POS truck they made I will be sure to never buy a chevy again and I will tell every customer I see this story and any customer with a chevy I will tell them to turn in this vehicle and buy a different one because it's a death trap and is a money pit and GM as a company is untrustworthy and unreliable . And I take care of about 1300 customers a year by myself . Just today I have 3 customers going to turn in their 2016 Silverado and going to Ford. I will be sure to post this same comment to every blog and video and website I can unroll something is done about this. YouTube or Google new chevy issues! You will see I am clearly not the only one !