Used 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

7 Years No Issues
By LStreet

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck brand new on April 13th, 2011. I just sold it on April 17th, 2018. I bought two sets of tires, had the brakes done once, and had the transmission serviced once. The truck never gave me any issues.

Big Red an all around man's truck
By Jim Dinsmore

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Runs great in comfort on hwy or logging roads. Canopy keeps tools or camping gear nice and dry. Mileage is average for this size truck, but is highly dependent on the actual octane of the gas you buy. Have achieved 19 mpg hwy, but normally around 14 mpg. Towing travel trailer drops mpg by about 3 mpg. Blue tooth in this truck is outstanding. It's clear and can be turned up nicely. Sirius satellite radio works well on the hwy, not so well in the back woods.

Water leakage
By Gian

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very dissapointed ive seen it on one truck I looked at and now mine is starting to get it water is leaking from the top of the cab and going down the rear frame on cab and you can see brown water marks , when I called Chevy all they said was "its out of warranty" very dissapointed in manufacturing which is very poor

2011 Regular Cab LS Trim 4.3 Ltr V-6, 4 spd trans
By Old School Pickup Truck

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

An old school, single cab pickup truck. Forget the leather seats, video screens and wi-fi hot spots -- pure utility, nothing fancy. The V-6 is a little underpowered, but the overall truck is a stalwart and a great daily driver. I use it to haul my mountain bikes, kayaks and dogs. After 6 years and 75,000 miles, I have never had a problem. Gas mileage is 17 mpg in town and 22 on the highway. The ride is solid, quiet and comfortable. There are no road rattles. My only complaint is the headlights aren't water tight. I have replaced the gaskets, but they keep filling up with moisture and fogging out. There is actually a name for this: GM goldfish bowl syndrome. Unfortunately, the problem didn't crop up until after the warranty expired. Aside from that, I think this will be a 200,000 mile vehicle with ease. The more I drive the truck, the better it gets. I am looking forward to the next six years!

5.3 aluminum block active mgmt. engine look out
By Gordon

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have the Z71 package all star edition. Which properly equipped mean rancho shocks hd cooling hd trans cooler hd engine cooling and skid plates. I bought this because my son in law is driving an 04 not hd but 4wd with over 250,000 at the time. Maintenance issues because he doesn't, but engine was using about 1qt. to 1.5 per 3000 ran well, and frankly this 11 Silverado I bought with 60000 miles was less than a comparable Dodge with a 5.7. I noticed at approx. 85,000 this 11 was using a quart of oil in under 1000 miles on oil change. Then suddenly at about 90,000 and truck over 3 years old it was missing so badly all warning lights were flashing before I got it to GM dealer 10 miles from my home. Told sr. mechanic, who is not only a good person but a superior mechanic. About 20 minutes after limped into shop he came in handed me my keys and said #1 cylinder plug insulator was cracked, showed me the old plug and said, these 5.3's have a known issue with the #1 and #7 oil rings going bad because of active engine mgt. system is faulty and when engine goes into 4 cylinder mode the oil sits on top of the piston creating an extraordinary build up of carbon and it breaks the inside insulator in the plugs. Told me around 4000.00 to re ring engine I carried plugs with me for the next 4 months trying to get my extended warranty I purchased with the truck to cover the repair. I had to change #1 #7 #2 #4 plugs in one day, all fouled. Called the attorney general of my state had all documents for oil used, and I believe 10 plugs in total. Very quickly the warranty company called telling me the had authorized an entire new GM engine. Another 3 yr 100,000 warranty now, so I better get her gone before the new engine warranty is up. I was told by 2 GM dealers over 100 miles apart they had re rung so many 5.3 engines they could now do them eyes closed. Shame on GM.