Used 2008 Cadillac STS Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Cadillac STS Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific STS model:

Stay Away From The Northstar V8
By Will

2008 Cadillac STS Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned 2 Cadillac STS's thus far. The First was a 2005 with the V8 and the one I have now is a 2008. They are great cars for the thought but stay away from the V8 North star engines by all means. At around 87, 000 and up the V8 North star starts going to the ground with problems. The found out problem with this engine is the design for the cylinder head mounting studs start to loosen due to corrosion and the material or metal used for the Head studs that clamp them down. This leads to head gasket failure and even engine damage. You can get the head gaskets fixed but the problem will come back after 30,000 miles or so, ultimately leaving you with a reoccurring and expensive problem. You can re-drill new studs in the engine and the problem still will come back. Its a nice luxury / performance car overall but I recommend buying the V6 with the 306hp. Oh and on my 2005 car the transmission started to give up on me. I think the 5 speed can barely handle the V8 power, the 07 and up have 6 speeds that are more adequate.

Try a Mercedes before buying this.
By Neville

2008 Cadillac STS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is the worst car I have ever bought. I only have 56k miles on it, and have had many electrical issues, some of which have made the car unusable. The dealer service is expensive and incompetent. The car itself, when it works, is pleasant enough, but is totally unreliable. No wonder GM went broke making rubbish like this.
Update: my local independent mechanic has repaired most of the electrical issues, and apart from minor issues which appear and then apparently fix themselves, the car is now relatively reliable.
Update: I have now owned this miserable car for nearly 4 years. My opinion is unchanged. Never another Cadillac!

My first Cadillac
By powerline87

2008 Cadillac STS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first Cadillac and my first car that was over $1000.

Value: I got my car 3-4 years old, because the price drops by $20-25k by then.

Performance: 302hp 3.6L DI V6.
52/48 weight dist. AWD. Dual-Wishbone front suspension - It handles better than most smaller cars I've driven, and even handles about as well as the CTS, despite being bigger and more comfortable.

Comfort:
I have driven a Lincoln MKZ, a Cadillac CTS and SRX, and a Lexus ES 350, and the STS is the most comfortable out of all of them.
It is roomier and its seats just feel more comfortable.

Summary: A used 2008-2011 Cadillac STS has a better balance between luxury and performance than any other car in my price range.

-Key-less Entry/Remote Start. -The luxury of being able to quickly match the speed of traffic while pulling onto a highway from an on-ramp. - All Wheel Drive. It handles well and is easy to drive in rain and snow. Make sure you buy good all-season tires, as they're the only part of the car that touches the road. - Touchscreen Navigation screen. 6-CD changer on the dashboard. - Traction control easy to turn on/off quickly. - 15 Speaker Bose Surround sound - sounds like the band playing the music is in the car with me (from XM satellite and CD's, not necessarily FM radio). - Heated and Cooled front seats (real leather gets warm). Heated rear seats. Heated steering wheel.

I wish it had the hard drive for its radio, like the CTS does. I am I usually have traction control OFF when it is nice weather outside, because it comes on too much to be helpful in summer. In winter or during rainstorms it is helpful, but not when it's nice weather, in my experience. Everyone has their own preferences, though. It's a little expensive to fix/maintain. I bought mine Certified Used, so some things are still under warranty, but this car costs over twice as much to fix as many other GM cars, due to high tech/luxury features. Cadillac got rid of the STS in 2011. I hope they realize that their best car was the STS and make a new flagship performance luxury car soon.

Bose Stereo Issue Debugged
By cfazzari

2008 Cadillac STS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In an earlier review I wrote the Bose system was basically terrible. The lows had no THUMP the Mids were Watery and the highs were muted. Apparently There are five different listener settings: Centerpoint, Driver, Talk, Normal and Rear. Centerpoint is the setting to use. The other four settings make the system sound awful at high volumes. Centerpoint wakes up the entire system and is easily comparable to the Boston Acoustic sytem I just came out of from my SRT8 Charger.

I fall in love everyday
By KRSTS

2008 Cadillac STS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this STS for 27 months and I love it more everyday.
It was a GM owned CPO with only 8200 miles.
This is my third Cadillac.
My others were all V8s and I do not miss the V8 at all.
The V6DI is great engine, not only for the power but the fuel mileage.
The car is very comfortable on long trips and handles like a dream.
There were a few minor issues early that were promptly fixed by the dealer. Now I only take it in for an annual oil change and inspection. Best car I have ever owned in my 67 years.

Styling, handling, power, comfort, features like remote start, keyless entry and start, auto locking, easy of entry and exit, wide trunk opening.

Larger glove box, more usable pouches in the doors.