Used 2004 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Audi taught me about German Engineering
By Mark

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

First the good things. The car looks great, sounds great, drives very well, and is a lot of fun...when it's working. It is surprisingly spacious for a convertible. It's powerful but because it's heavy, it rather needs to be...but it accelerates well. I think it should be all these good things, because it was the most expensive car I've ever bought, and not my first convertible. I should have listened to friends right after I bought mine - they got a lemon and swore "Audi - never again." For me it's also been, by far, the most trouble of any car I've ever bought. I saw the problem coming: during warranty period, a small headliner strap disconnected from the convertible top frame - it kept a section of headliner folding with the top. A bit of superglue might have fixed that. But no, the official service required a $1000 headliner replacement. Just after warranty expired, my nice radio had trouble - the antenna broke. Simple fix, right? A $1000 replacement - much of the interior of the car needed removal to replace it. Then, my AC went out. After numerous trips to the dealer to add coolant, add fluorescent dye to find a leak: the compressor needed replacement. Turns out, that's not a minor thing in an Audi. The dealer quoted $6000. I didn't do it, so they worked around and "disabled the compressor". Many more small things went out - like the headlight washer system blew a tiny cap - water everywhere; of course they don't sell the caps, only the full $200/light washer. That's small for Audi. Recently I started hearing a noise near the engine and took it for diagnosis: $700 just to remove enough for inspection (from a 3rd party, probably a good price). Something was throwing bolts out of the engine area! It turns out, now the broken compressor was disintegrating, and was ready to take out other things too. So, thousands more, now, forced to even keep the car driveable, and all this on a car with less than 62K miles on it. AUDI: Never again.

red rocket
By pat bredel

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

will be buying 2018 s4 will miss manual and v8 sound have 4 people who want this car a tank in snow with blizzaks

Joy Ride
By 04b6jc22

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What an apsolute joy to drive one of these. I have an 04 with suspension, brakes, RS4 wheels, Milltek exhaust addons. Simple bolt ons, but i wouldnt put this kind of money into something i didn't think was worth it.
I am a total nerd/gear head when it comes to cars and this is only one of a few affordable cars i drool over. It's not the fastest car. If a 911 turbo pulls up besides you, dont waste the fuel. But if one of those chump Mustangs try to pull the same crap (again. Dont waste your time and fuel), but be assure that if he's dumb enough to challenge, you'll take the cake. Rides like it's on rails and screams through the corners. It makes a rumble that will cause earth quakes!

engine, AWD system, navigation, sterio, seats, ride quality, transmission, descret look

suspension, exhaust!!!

AWD Rocket
By anchorage

2004 Audi S4 Manual 26K miles
I'm 6' 250 lbs Male
What a blast to drive.
I bought this low mile beauty above market and it was a joy to drive.
Both it the city where I absolutely rocketed between stoplights and in the city where I flew around curves the Audi never stopped delighting me.
I had the manual (which is why I had to sell it after only 2K miles due to a bad knee) which I imagine is more fun.
It stuck to the road like it was glued.
I never really drove it in the winter so the AWD was only tested in rain - it worked great.
Absolutely a joy to drive unless stuck in traffic.
I could not make myself go slow unless I was trapped in traffic.
I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT.

POWER - lots of it all the time. Brakes were excellent. Seats are Recarro covered with leather and very very nice and supportive. Interior build materials are very nice and luxurious feeling. I loved the headlight spray feature to clean them during snow melt in Alaska when everything is dirty for 3 weeks. AWD is a must if you want to enjoy it in the winter and live in snow areas. It's a very beautiful car. I loved the manual built in sun shades in the rear side windows for my child and the electric sun shade on the back window which can also be used to dim the headlights of those following you at night like a dimming mirror.

Blizzak lm-60 tires not great in the snow and terrible in ice. I had no problems in brief ownership but Audi are legendary for poor reliability and high repair bills that's why I paid out upfront for a very low mile example. Blind spot visibility is terrible. Car is too small for large people and so low on the ground getting in and out is a struggle. Once you are in it's very comfortable but very tight. If you are 150 lbs you will like it. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT and that is very comfortable for 4-5 large adults and just as fast. If only it was AWD. Due to tight size it was very difficult to get my 1 year old into her car seat.

This One Does it All
By 1st Audi Man

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car if you don't want to be seen in a "sports car". Not to mention, you can haul a few kids along the way as well. Although it is not as athletic as a Cayman, it will easily blow away your expectation as to what a grocery hauler can do. It has the class inside and out as you'd expect from an Audi. The 4.2L V8 is a battle-tested dynamo in the lineup. Sure, you can complain about the mileage, but don't buy this car if that's on the top of your list - high performance is what it is. Although we haven't used it to tow anything, it is our do it all car anytime of the year. If you can find one (sedan or wagon), jump on it, you will be happy

Power for the size of the vehicle and relative price of the car for a polished V8. Capability in our family where Dad gets his "car" and Mom has a useful car as well. Budget-wise, it works in this day and age where you can't just keep an extra car around for weekend fun.

I can't complain that the RS level is not available in Avant trim as it isn't as popular in the US, but power is addictive.