Used 2010 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

Used MDX for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

MDX torque converter failures

curious52, 03/29/2012

There are many, many MDX owners out there who have experienced torque converter failures over the years from 2002 up to 2010. For newer models there has JUST been a recall, within the last month. New software needs to be installed by the dealer. Be sure to ask if this recall applies to your car. My TC was replaced two months ago in my 2010 vehicle. I find it interesting that only now has Acura accepted the fact that a general problem has existed across many years of the MDX production. This damages my long-time positive feelings about Acura automobiles.

Third MDX, Best Yet

Karol Kittelson, 07/29/2010

This is my third MDX -- had a terrific 2004 and the then-new style 2007. However this Advance model has the best Navigation on the market as well as the Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Indicators and the Collision Warning system. Took a 4,000 mile trip recently, got 23 MPG, and enjoyed effortless interstate driving assisted by the Adaptive Cruise control. In multiple lane Big City traffic, the side radar (Blind Spot Indicators) are priceless from a safety aspect. (Side Note: In late 2009, I was the victim of a intersection T-Bone accident in my 2007 MDX and was saved from extensive personal injuries by the wonderful safety equipment in my Acura MDX).

Good Value and Lots of Gadgets

JJ10, 10/06/2010

Have had the car for a month and overall quite happy with it. It is the best value for the money in this size/category. The tech pkg has tons of features, though some are more gimmicky than useful. Not crazy about the exterior, but interior is roomy and comfortable. Cargo area is smaller than I'd like. Performance is ok. The engine lacks torque and has to rev hard for power (while making a lot of noise). Coming from a European SUV, I feel the suspension is too soft and steering is way too loose. The torque vectoring is a bit unpredictable when cornering. Road noise is surprisingly high. The car had a couple of small issues upon delivery, which is disappointing for a Honda product.

Transmission Cycling will cause performance delays

er405, 02/24/2011

I traded my new 2010 MDX after months of working with Acura Client Services and the Dealer. The MDX's progressive transmission, in my opinion, is poorly designed. Although, the driver is pressing the gas pedal, the MDX will have long delays during gear cycles. This could be dangerous if attempting to make a quck turn in on-coming traffic. You want to go, but the MDX moves very slowly or not at all. Second, the cabin lets in so much air that during the winter, the heat must be set to keep the cabin warm, especially at the feet. Last, the MDX looses lots of horsepower as it cycles through the gears. A sluggish ride at best. For the money, find something else.

This Car Eats Oil

BMart, 08/18/2015
Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This engine is a oil eater. I got the car used form the dealer with a fresh oil change - at 4k miles later the check engine light comes on - I check the oil and it does not even register on the dip stick. I thought OK -it was not a Acura/Honda dealer I got it from (Mercedes) so they put the wrong oil in or something. I made sure it had synthetic the next time. Same thing happens. The other problem is Acura has set the maintenance interval to 7500 miles - way to long for this oil eater. I recommend 3k miles for sure and check the oil every 1k miles. The bummer is my old cars have oil that looks fine after 5k miles but this car just chews it up. I now make sure I have quarts of synthetic available, and I went and bought a funnel to add oil to this car every 1k miles. I have to treat it like a vintage automobile. Other than that it runs fine - it has a solid feel that reminds me of a BMW.

The Best SUV Period!

tp12string, 07/30/2011

After much research and test drives I selected the MDX. I test drove the X5, Q7, and Grand Cherokee as well as the Mazda CX9 and others. The MDX was overall the better choice....and less expensive than many of the others. After owning it for almost a year and 30K miles I can say that it has met and exceeded my expectations. It is very comfortable; the technology is easy to use and intuitive; the navigation is the best I've seen anywhere. If you are considering an SUV, do yourself a big favor and test drive the MDX. Best vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned many new cars over the years.

Impressive

CR1970, 10/08/2010

I purchased one of the last 2010 Advance/Entertainment MX's that the dealer had on the lot and couldn't be happier. We test drove a number of SUV's including the new RX, Highlander, and BMW. The vehicle handles so much better than the RX and just seems to have a good balance of sport and comfort. I love the selectable ride option as well as the blind spot warning indicators. The stereo system is AMAZING and light years ahead of my RX. Voice recognition and navigation system were much better than the BMW we looked at. The new 6 speed transmission shifts smoothly and pickup is impressive for a vehicle of it's size. Fit and Finish is also impressive.

Transmission failed at 45000 miles

John Ta, 07/10/2016
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I am the original owner and bought it in April 2010. The car was awesome to drive at beginning. It had pulling issue and grinding noise at low speed when turning the car right after leaving dealer. Both these issues got TSB from Acura later on. The grinding noise was not fixed since TSB came after warranty expired. After 2 years, the MPG went bad from 1 tank for 300 miles down to 200 miles locally and we need to down shift to passed another car. At 45000 miles or 5 1/2 years, the transmission failed. MPG went back to 300 miles for 1 tank of gas but the transmission is shifting so slow now. I bought it since I love it's performance and handling. My next SUV will be Lexus RX 350 since I bought lexus gs 350 and it changed me. I have been honda acura brand fan for 15 years and it is over now except Formula 1 Honda LoL

Transmission harness didn't even make 75K miles

28if, 06/26/2014

In the shop again for another transmission non warranty covered issue. This time the "D" indicator light starts blinking, no error codes. Dealer says the wiring harness between the engine and tranny needs to be replaced for $2K!!!. No the power train warranty doesn't cover this. Car has just under 75,000 miles on it. Really? The quality is so bad that basic parts can't last 75,000 miles. Putting it on Craigs list as soon as I get it back.

Too many issues with my 2010 tech (disappointed)

SW, 06/16/2019
Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car brand new in 2010. Had many issues over the past 9yrs. A year after buying it, I took it to the dealer more than 3 times and complain about exhaust smell coming in the cabin and no one ever fix it. At times they won’t document it. They just call one of their mechanic and he sprays freshener in my air vents and give me back the car saying that’s normal because the catalytic converter burning rich and it’s normal. I found a body plug fell off next to exhaust inner fender and once I replaced it it’s fine. About 5yrs later the roof seam between the tailgate cracked and water coming in the car when it rains. Dealer told me that’s body shop work and car is out of warranty so they didn’t fix it. I fix myself with silicone. The paint on the 2 front fender next to the hood flaking off on the edge and the lift gate paint flaking off above the Acura emblem about 3 inches diameter. The dealer said again that’s body shop to fix and car out of warranty so I had to fix it myself. My engine making a rattling sound when accelerating and the dealer said my tension pulley needs to be replaced. After paying $300 to replace it, it still rattles. Took it back they told me it’s a fuel. They said I cannot use premium gas from QT, Costco or sams club and I must buy from chevron or shell. What the heck??? After taking the car for a few times for maintenance I told one of the service advisor and he said I need a software update so the charge 1/2 hour labor. The transmission jutters a lot and the dealer say it’s normal. They want me to do a flush every 15k miles. What? The rpm gauge needle moves up and down between 1500 and 2000rpm when driving at 45mpg or 65mpg. Anyway, I did a flush and problem still there. I loose power to my sunroof and windows. Of course I had to fix it myself because it was out of warranty. Was a bad wire harness on the drivers door. All 4 of my shock absorbers went out. I don’t drive my MDX long distance, no bad roads, most of time I park in garage, don’t drive like crazy, etc. My oil level always low when checking it with the dip stick and the dealer says it’s normal. Don’t waste your money on this car. I wish Acura can read this and either buy my car back or cut me a check for the $4000 or so I sent in repairs. I don’t think I will ever invest in another Acura since I am loosing faith in their quality and workmanship. I owned 3 Acuras and my MDX was problematic. Of course I fixed everything except the rpm moving up and down and the transmission still jitters. Avoid getting a 2007 thru 2013. All these years have almost the same problem. Look it up on google or YouTube.

12345...8