Used 2014 Acura ILX Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura ILX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ILX model:

sporty ILX
By Cliff Bloom

2014 Acura ILX Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I had a Cadillac CTS V with about 180000 miles sucking up about $100/ week worth of gas in 2013. Gas was approaching $5/gallon at that time. I wanted a car that got better miles/gallon with a manual transmission that would be fun to drive. There weren't many options for cars with manual transmissions then and now. I drove a couple models, VW & BMW and was skeptical about downsizing to 4 cylinders in the Acura or VW. I would have bought the VW 4 banger diesel, but none were available with a manual transmission unless I wanted to wait 3 months. Test drove the ILX and Muller had 5-6 different ILX manuals to chose from plus Acurwas offering no interest loan (I could have paid cash). The ride's not as cushy as a Caddy or the BMW, but I tend to prefer a tighter more responsive go cart like feel, and the 4C has plenty of power for acceleration and passing. It's a bit noisy. My only complaint is with the gearing. I don't know why Acura didn't take out a couple teeth for 6th gear, letting it cruise at higher speeds at lower RPM? The front wheel drive handles well on snow & ice. I haven't had any problems so far approaching 100000 miles,

Second hand ILX 2.4L 6MT
By ryhi

2014 Acura ILX Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a good commuter with a manual transmission I could hold on to of the next 15 years. I have owned 3 other Hondas so I have seen, first hand, how their powertrains hold up as I maintain them myself. I was interested in either the '16 Civic LX 6MT or the '16 Accord Sport 6MT. I, personally, like the new civic but, at the time, only the LX had the 6MT available. I didn't want to spend ~$19 grand on the base model, base 4 speaker stereo and wheel covers. I have been spoiled with the features I've come to enjoy in my 2007 Accord EX-L Sdn V6 6MT, I know I was being too harsh on the LX. I began to seriously consider the Accord Sport, it is a gorgeous car on the outside, but I found I would have to give up many features: quality stereo, sunroof and (at the time) leather on the inside. I have always loved the powertrain of the Civic Si, excellent engine and transmission but personally, I didn't want the Si and wasn't too fond of the interior. To every man his taste. I then noticed the ILX. I would never consider buying one brand new for $30k+, but a clean white one at ~$21k @ 10,000 miles and in immaculate shape it became an excellent choice! The new Accord Sport is pushing ~$27k but I got so many more features with the used ILX. I have throughly enjoyed this car and even with the 6MT coming available in the EX-T Civic I find I'm still enjoying my choice without regrets. (I would really be sad if a Leather/Manual/Turbo civic option had popped up), even with the turbo manual option the Apple Car play is great but it still lacks a bit of a list of features ILX has. Some features I have really enjoyed are the sound system, there is a Sub in the back and the higher wattage is very noticable, much better sound and intensity than my fully loaded 2007 Accord EX-L. The HIDs are excellent, I purchased the car in OR and drove it to CA during a rain storm at night to outrun a snow storm. Those headlights were impressive for that drive, I could see both sides of the road (worried about deer) and much further I have ever been able to see with my other Hondas, the handling is also very light and precise through the mountains. What I wanted in a commuter was good powertrain, this car always puts a smile on my face driving home, this is the best manual transmission I have driven and that engine note never gets old. This thing is quick. Even on starting the engine it reminds you of its capabilities with that aggressive engine note. I've also been pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy. I commonly get ~40 mpg on my 40 mile commute one way, which includes hills and plenty of stop and go, I usually average 31MPG overall with lively city driving. On a longer drive to UT I saw an overall 34.5 MPG on the computer. I've only put premium in it and honestly don't mind the extra dollar or two at each fill up. Even with the newer choices of the Civic Turbo manual and even the excellent Mazda 3 I still went with and couldn't be happier with my choice in the ILX. My only gripe, echoing the many, was no Navigation. Fortunately I have it in my Accord. Honestly, It's a pleasant convenience in it but wasn't a deal breaker in the ILX for me. The screen in the ILX is honestly rather poor, but the sound system quality is what I was looking for. Another gripe is the fact that it revs a little too high for my taste on the freeway, but I like the shorter gear ratio than those longer gears found the Mazda 3 6MT. The keyless entry and push button start has also an excellent feature I've come to truly enjoy. If you're looking for a good option, the ILX is a solid choice if you can find a good one off lease. This car is a tidy package for the long run. Also the fact that someone designed it so the oil filter is conveniently on the bottom of the engine directly behind the oil drain plug (rather than spilling all over the back of the engine like on the Honda F series engine or spilling all over the subframe on the J series) is brilliant.

Reliable and luxurious
By Tommy

2014 Acura ILX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

My family has had a few acuras. We have always loved them. From an Mdx with 200k+ miles to brand new RL's. Great ride, sleek look, great gas, inexpensive to maintain compared to other cars in this class.

Love it
By wdc6446

2014 Acura ILX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The more I drive this car, the more I love it. Like many others, I was a little worried I would miss having a turbo but loved the combination of economy, luxury,reliability and good looks that this car offered, at a price I could feel good about. Feels sporty, smooth, and responsive. I can honestly say I haven't missed the horsepower. I can't believe it doesn't get better reviews. I have the Tech package, and love the bluetooth, the navigation, and the sound. I rarely get less than 30 mpg and that with considerable city driving. When you give it gas, it has a healthy rev, and cruises very comfortably at 70-80mph. Passing is never a problem.

I love the interior looks and comfort. Everything is very functional and intuitive. Gas mileage is great, and the ride is comfortable. So far, super reliable, no mechanical issues whatsoever. Also love the speaker system.

Trunk could be a little larger. Some slight vibration noise in the frame when traveling at higher speeds. Some bluetooth/smartphone compatibility issues as well; not all features are fully functional depending on the model phone you have, but I think this is a problem with all cars.

What you expect from the driver's seat isn't what this $31k Civic delivers.
By zoomjag

2014 Acura ILX Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Disappointing with time. This vehicle doesn't feel like a comprehensive 'package' - It's an economy car, that's it. Acura has taken a Civic (which is perfectly good as is) added a great dash, and some engine and suspension tuning and called it a day, and these mechanical touches don't really seem to add anything to the Civic package nor compete with the Civic Si(as if engineers just threw "good parts" at the car without testing). In many ways, the result here is an underpowered, loud, econobox with disturbing views from the drivers seat (funhouse drivers mirror, subpar plastic on the lower doors, blindspots for days) with a stereo that doesn't deliver premium sound leave you expecting more

The dashboard and steering controls are refined, and intuitive (in time). Automatic transmission is taut and well executed with paddle shifters.

The 2016 ILX will be interesting as the number of improvements make it a completely different vehicle than the first generation ILX.