Used 2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (222 reviews )

Watch Out: Poor Transmission
By DSS

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The 5speed automatic suffers from hestitation and lack of smoothness and feel when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2-3rd. The hesitation and then surge of power is not only unpleasant, but can be unsafe. Lexus has been aware of this problem on ES300 and ES330 for 3years and has no fix. Warning: check discussion groups online for information before buying!

Needs new transmission. Needs telescoping steering wheel.

1st Lexus
By miracle

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have previously owned an Audi, and an Infinity. This is my first Lexus and I am thrilled. The comfort and smooth ride of this car is excellent. Quiet is a main concern of mine and this car is like no other I have owned in that respect. I did notice the shifting hesitation when I was driving slower. I think this does need to be addressed.

Interior design Comfort Quietness

Smoother shifting with transmission

Not as good as I thought....
By MYNULEXUS

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I wished I had more time to shop around before buying this car. Like many reviews posted here, I found the transmission sluggish which makes me feel dangerous when merging into traffic. The car gives me the feeling that I might lose control over it when changing lanes on highway with speed between 60-75mph. The performance is not even as good as my previous '96 4Runner.

Quietness of the engine. The interior design. Nice feature such as the rear sun shade, standard CD changer, leather seats. Exterior design and color choices.

Fix the transmission problem. Make the traction control or the VSC system standard. The ML stereo system should also

he who hesitates is lost
By paulinpennsylvania

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Car rides nicely. Big problem with hesitation when you get off the gas then on again or come to a stop and try to go immediately thereafter ( 1 to 1 and 1/2 second delay). If you get off the gas under hard acceleration and back on the gas the transmission gets confused. pulls to left slightly. With regards to hesitation, Lexus says the car is "functioning as designed". They have no plans to fix it at all. If you leave your key in ignition and headlights are on, the lights won't shut off automatically if you accidently do not shut your door tightly.(I already gat 1 dead battery for this reason. I'm going back to Audi. (They care about their customers).

all that is nice about the car is outweighed by the driveability problems.

Listen to your customers and fix the design problems.

Best Car Yet
By lsopko

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car mostly for the roomy and comfortable interior.

Interior is beautiful and we love the automatic windshield wipers.

Tilt Steering and under seat storage.