Well...it looks good...
By srq5363 on
2014 Infiniti Q50 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 7A)
I leased the base model with the sunroof about 1.5 weeks ago. I didn't want to pay for (or deal with) the electronic issues and gizmos and the base version hit my target price. It looked great, drove well, and met my needs for size. The downside is this car smells...bad. Two others like it smelled bad, too, but the dealership claimed that whatever I was smelling would wear off or they'd take care of it. After a few days, I returned and was told there was nothing they could do and I could trade it, lemon law it, or try to air it out. No luck. Software is buggy and slow and they are still saying apps are coming in 1 more month. I'm regretting my choice but, at least it looks good.
Favorite Features
It looks good and I think it drives great.
Suggested Improvements
Infiniti needs to stop pretending that the smell issue is a complete surprise to them, and they need to do a recall. I had no problem finding others who are not happy with the smell. Software or processor needs overhaul. The navigation should be included in every car because the dual display is pointless without it, and the controls for both screens on the steering wheel, on screen, on console controller, are just redundantly silly. Finally, at this price level, leather should be standard although the leatherette (vinyl) looks and feels pretty authentic.
By srq5363
on 06/23/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

An update: it looks like Infiniti engineering has determined that it is the sunroof drain tube material that is responsible for the smell in all of these cars with the problem. I am told that replacement drain tubes are on order so I am hoping this will solve the problem. I'll say this: if you want the car because of its looks and drive, get it. Just understand that the electronics are buggy and the promised apps just aren't available even a year later. Unfortunately, I think this car is going to greatly damage Infiniti's rep but, really, they deserve the hit.

By finitewisdom
on 08/06/14 10:43 AM (PDT)

That is VERY interesting about the smell. I am driving a loaner Q50 from a dealership today because my G37x is in for service. I called the service guy immediately after I started to drive the car because it smells so bad. I thought someone had been smoking a cigar in the car or something. It is a funky smell that I couldn't put my finger on. The loaner only has 6K miles on it and it stinks, compared to my G that has 42K and still smells like a new car should. I should have known there was something wrong when they pulled up with the driver side window rolled down. What dealer does that? I found one of those vent air freshener clips in the console glove box when I was looking around in the car. Other than that, so far the performance seems fine, but I will take my older G37 hands down over this thing. Personally, I can't stand the interior look and the two screens. I even shut my screen off in the G unless I need it. And what was Infiniti thinking when they eliminated that classic analog clock??????