2014 Infiniti Q50 Consumer Review: Well...it looks good...

2014 Infiniti Q50 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.7L V6 7-speed Automatic)

Well...it looks good...
By srq5363 on

2014 Infiniti Q50 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 7A)

I leased the base model with the sunroof about 1.5 weeks ago.
I didn't want to pay for (or deal with) the electronic issues and gizmos and the base version hit my target price.
It looked great, drove well, and met my needs for size.
The downside is this car smells...bad.
Two others like it smelled bad, too, but the dealership claimed that whatever I was smelling would wear off or they'd take care of it.
After a few days, I returned and was told there was nothing they could do and I could trade it, lemon law it, or try to air it out.
No luck.
Software is buggy and slow and they are still saying apps are coming in 1 more month.
I'm regretting my choice but, at least it looks good.

Update 6/16
Infiniti let me down. I thought they were a class act but they are not. After a long period of denial, they finally acknowledged they had a problem with the smell coming from the drainage system around the sunroofs of the Q50. Once they replaced it, the smell lingered for a while but eventually went away. Unfortunately, they wouldn't do anything about the electronics. Still slow to load and buggy as can be. So, where even cheap cars will have guide lines on their backup cameras as soon as you shift, with the Q50 you have to wait like two minutes. The clock will sometimes show only a face with no hands because the computer has lost the time/date. The radio stations you've programmed will sometimes just disappear. The automatic climate control will just stop functioning and you have to reboot the computer. Most of the available functionality and features won't work (internet, email, text, etc.) None of it is end of world stuff...just annoying for the most expensive car I've ever purchased/leased. To be fair, I enjoy driving it as far as driving goes. The power is there when you want it, it's comfortable, no complaints there. Still like the way it looks, too. The headlights don't reach out enough on low beam which can be hazardous, though. I've noticed a few times that the sensor for the passenger seat airbag wasn't working properly and, as it turns out, I just received a notice of a recall on that issue. I don't regret getting it, I enjoy driving it, but every time I consider that I could have purchased a much cheaper car with more features and functionality, I feel like it was a mistake I won't make again. I will not buy a car that doesn't work fully again or from a company that has the nerve to say "that's just the way it was designed" when something is clearly not right. I had a few Accords before this and all were great cars for a lot less money.

• Active safety
  • Headlights
  • Climate control
  • Entertainment
  • Usb ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Purchase cost
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By srq5363
on 06/23/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

An update: it looks like Infiniti engineering has determined that it is the sunroof drain tube material that is responsible for the smell in all of these cars with the problem. I am told that replacement drain tubes are on order so I am hoping this will solve the problem. I'll say this: if you want the car because of its looks and drive, get it. Just understand that the electronics are buggy and the promised apps just aren't available even a year later. Unfortunately, I think this car is going to greatly damage Infiniti's rep but, really, they deserve the hit.

By finitewisdom
on 08/06/14 10:43 AM (PDT)

That is VERY interesting about the smell. I am driving a loaner Q50 from a dealership today because my G37x is in for service. I called the service guy immediately after I started to drive the car because it smells so bad. I thought someone had been smoking a cigar in the car or something. It is a funky smell that I couldn't put my finger on. The loaner only has 6K miles on it and it stinks, compared to my G that has 42K and still smells like a new car should. I should have known there was something wrong when they pulled up with the driver side window rolled down. What dealer does that? I found one of those vent air freshener clips in the console glove box when I was looking around in the car. Other than that, so far the performance seems fine, but I will take my older G37 hands down over this thing. Personally, I can't stand the interior look and the two screens. I even shut my screen off in the G unless I need it. And what was Infiniti thinking when they eliminated that classic analog clock??????