1996 Ford Windstar Consumer Review: Never again

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Review

GL Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Never again
By trspd on

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A WINDSTAR! Bought it for its 5-star safety rating at 69K miles. Replaced the engine at 70K miles. Engine light is always coming on-$55 to diagnose and re-set computer every time. Since May, I've put in $3300, including new transmission at 120K miles (never had warning codes on dash come on, and nothing showed up on diagnostic machine when trans. started slipping), alternator, partial catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and much more. Driver's window doesn't work, and ignition cylinder needs to be replaced. Stress fracture across windshield. Money pit! I'm buying Japanese from now on.

Rides very smoothly compared with other minivans. Can lock/unlock the van from the rear cargo area - great with kids, bat bags, camp chairs, etc. Rear air is a must. Very roomy.

Where do I begin? How about better reliability? Cars shouldn't fall apart by 120,000 miles, but all Fords I've owned start breaking down at 100,000. Can't pump heat into rear a/c vents. Rear seat is really heavy to remove - hard to get back into the track.